Liver Cancer in Dogs

Munster927

Does anyone here have any experience with their dogs and liver cancer? My oldest dog was diagnosed with liver cancer a couple weeks back and I'm struggling with knowing when the right time is to let her go. My vet said she has probably 3 months left. She'd have 9-12 months if I looked into treatment options but I don't want to put her through hell knowing it's not going to cure anything.

I'm mostly looking for any opinions from anyone who has had to deal with the same issues in past dogs and knowing when it's time. She currently doesn't eat on her own, I have to force feed her twice a day, she limps around often and struggles to get up and usually has a high fever and pretty much lays around all day. I know it's a matter of when, not if, but I don't want to let her go too soon but also don't want her to lay around and suffer while I limp her by as she gets worse.

Does anyone here have any experience with their dogs and liver cancer? My oldest dog was diagnosed with liver cancer a couple weeks back and I'm struggling with knowing when the right time is to let her go. My vet said she has probably 3 months left. She'd have 9-12 months if I looked into treatment options but I don't want to put her through hell knowing it's not going to cure anything.

I'm mostly looking for any opinions from anyone who has had to deal with the same issues in past dogs and knowing when it's time. She currently doesn't eat on her own, I have to force feed her twice a day, she limps around often and struggles to get up and usually has a high fever and pretty much lays around all day. I know it's a matter of when, not if, but I don't want to let her go too soon but also don't want her to lay around and suffer while I limp her by as she gets worse.
Not being able to see her it is impossible to make that call, but if you are here asking you probably already know. I put my lab down on April 1st. It was an extremely difficult decision but he was exhibiting much of what you are saying. At some point I had to decide that me putting it off wasn’t in the best interest of the dog. I still find myself tearing up as I write this. Sorry for your situation as I know how tough it is.

Unfortunately many dog owners face this dilemma. Every situation is different but for me it comes down to quality of life for the dog. You have to let the dog go with dignity. To keep him/her alive just to make yourself feel better is doing a disservice to the dog. It is oh so hard, but in the end, do what is right for the dog. Most of us wait too long.

Went thru the same 2 months ago. Decided quality of his life was more important than my feelings. I still miss him but knew it was the right thing to do. I am sure you will make the right decision

Hard thing to say: your description of her daily life suggests her time has come. Tough deal. But she's already going through a very rough time.

BTW, cancer is the leading cause of death in dogs.

Last edited:
One day too early is better than one day too late.
I feel for you as we just completed this process for my heart dog Obie on Halloween (not for liver ca). I have dealt with human liver cancer as an ICU nurse, it's not an easy end. Thank goodness our pets have more humane options than humans have. So sorry you are dealing with this.

My first bird dog had liver cancer. He was a brittany named Colt that was 100mph 24/7 at 9 years old. Pretty much same as your dog. Limping struggling to move around not eating one day. Colt suffered a mini stroke shortly after being diagnosed and was already going down hill. I wish I made the decision before he had to go through that.

I agree with Steelshot, dont be too late. As much as you love the dog you don't want them to suffer just for you to hang on, I did obviously and regret it.

Sending thoughts your way, never easy.

Thanks for everybody's well wishes and comments. I unfortunately had to put her down 3 weeks ago. At least now she can go chase birds every day until the end of time.

So sorry for your loss. I have had to put down family pets before, it's hard. The Springers I have now are the first hunting dogs I have ever had. We have always been a dog loving family, but the connection I have with these dogs goes way beyond a normal "pet". I can't begin to imagine how hard it will be when that time comes.

We had to put one of our GSP down last week which was 2.5 yrs longer than the vet gave her with a cancer diagnosis. I let the dog kind of pace her life, as long as she was happy and comfortable we let her do what she wanted. Hope the best for you and enjoy what ya can.

Last edited:
Went thru is twice in the last year and feel your pain ,but I agree with most that the quality of life trumps your feeling. it is tough but as dog guys that is what we signed up for. Give her a hug and enjoy the good times you had.

Back