Limber Tail/Cold Water Tail

LoneRooster

About a week ago I read an article from DU about limber tail, something I was not very familiar with. Today, after 2 days of hunting the half frozen Mississippi river in negative degree temperatures my dog has succombed to the condition. I have never heard a dog cry/grunt/act like they were in pain every 30 minutes. It scared me at first as I thought it might of been something internal like poisoning, organ related issues...but was relieved to know it is just very painful and will reside shortly. Has anyone else had a dog succomb to this? Can't help but feel bad for the poor girl!

I have had it happen to a couple different dogs. It usually coincides with a really good hunt! I believe it is caused more by exertion but cold water aggravates the situation. I have givin rimidayhl in extreme cases

Id like to avoid a costly vet fee to have them tell me that she has limber tail. Any other over the counter medications you would recommend to help her out?

My Lab Charlie got it several years back. The vet said it's like a very bad sprain and hurts the dog. I gave her a week or so off and it went away. I would still call your vet.

Wow, I never heard of this before I read this thread. I have owned mostly shorttailed dogs but have an english setter. Fortunately, i never ran it to the condition. Learn something new every day!
Googled and it seems the best is thing is good conditioning.

My SM has had it twice. It's over exertion combined with cold water or ice.
Very painful for dog. It's a spasm in the tail. My vet called it "swimmers tail" and said many vets mis diagnose it. He gave our dog Rymadol (spelling). After a few days he was back to being himself.

yes lack of conditioning can be a cause, in my case with Dixie it was not that..she hunts and trains year round..What did it was hunting in the river 2 straight days...air temp was 4-6 degrees and The water temps had to be below freezing with all of the ice chunks roaring downstream.

I will tell you this though...you have not seen sad until you have seen a labrador that cannot wag its tail..

limber tail

My EP's have had limber tail when an extreme drop in temperature occurred in the fall. They did not show severe pain and the condition cleared in about two weeks. They were not subjected to the cold water and extreme conditions experienced by the Labs. The last 2/3's of the tail hung down. The vet suggested buffered aspirin. Dosage is 5 mg (milligram) per pound. I gave them one adult aspirin.

Last edited:
Give the dog aspirin and a couple days rest and he will be good to go. I agree that conditioning isn't the issue.... My dogs are as fit as possible but they give 110%

Limb tail

Hockeybob hit it right on. My YM gets it all the time. Dogs that are heavy tailwaggers get it more often and more severe. I am told that a dog that often gets this could have a narrowing in the spinal canal at the base of the tail. It is basically a over exertion muscle spasm at the base of tail. Rimidil and rest is best.

I found this in my canine health notes. Lots of big words.....

Limber tail syndrome is defined as a compartment syndrome, it is a myopathy confined to the coccygeal (tail) muscles, it does not have systemic ramifications so save your energy looking for myoglobinuria. Any anti-inflammatory including aspirin helps but spontaneous recoveries are common.

I've had it a couple times with different dogs. Aspirin helped. Just takes time and rest. Good luck!

Back