Lease prices?

RJT

Gents, what's a good estimate for the going rate for private lease prices in north central / northwest KS? Say from around Hays to Atwood? I'd like to get into a nice long term lease private for upland.

Deer hunting is so big here they have a bunch wrapped up. Lots of Texans leasing for deer. Probably your neighbors. You can save your money and knock on doors and usually get permission and then kind of network from there.

Leases, Especially the hunting clubs have left a horrible taste in my mouth. As a life long resident I feel that some of us locals are getting pushed out by out of state leasing. I lost a dandy goose hunting field mile from my house that I hunted for years to a hunting club. No way I could pay what this club paid per acre for guys to hunt it 2 weeks out of the year.

The time is coming that we will be like texas and all the good private land is leased. South dakota is leased up. Kansas is very near the bottom of the list for public hunting ground.

I would think it would be cheaper to buy a small house in a small town and then get to know the area and land owners and go that route. You would be amazed how easy permission can come by once the locals get to know you. I don't live to far from topeka and I have a ton of ground around here I can upland hunt or train on. I normally don't hunt the ground around my house but do use it to run dogs on in the off season. If a guy was to come up here and try to get permission to hunt this close to topeka he would have a very tough time getting it. Easy once people get to know you and you do some networking.

Yup...getting harder and harder to get on the ground of folks I grew up with - especially with folks willing to pay bookoos of bucks for one week of deer hunting.

I would never lease ground for Pheasant hunting as the birds and habitat change so much every year. We have about 20 different quarters of farm ground and crp in the family and fields you think would be great are not while one little weedy fence line is the best. Save your money and be able to adapt more.

I wish they would make hunting leases illegal, its nothing more than a form of market hunting..the difference is just semantics

hunting in Texas sucks for the common man so I left and that lease crap followed me

I'm an anti-lease type of person like many.

I was raised to knock on a door, introduce myself and ask permission. Networking helps as I'm pretty sure my dad and I just had a landowner reverse network on us after telling us he was going to have hunters in his CRP on the day in question. A few hours later, he called back and said "Go ahead and go through it."

I do think a simple gesture goes a long way in thanking a landowner in addition to saying, "Thank you." After the season wraps up, I'll be firing up my smoker full of baby back ribs. My father and I plan on taking the racks to the landowners as a thank you for allowing us to hunt during the season.

I'm a city guy, and just don't have the time to spend a couple weekends (?) searching for permission 3+ hours from home. Also don't have time to scout WIHAs far from home, although I've accumulated some information on ones I like.

I belong to one of the evil :) clubs though. For about $100 a month I've got access to a few hundred thousand acres including CRP, upland habitat, ponds and pits to fish, and wetlands for waterfowl. The guys running it do the scouting and get the permission. Not everyone's deal, I know, but it works for me.

John scouting does take up a bunch of time for sure. That's not bad to pay for guaranteed hunting and someone else doing the scouting.

I have collected wiha maps since the program began. I transfer all good previously scouted areas to the current years map every year and also add or delete as appropriate. Over the years I have collected quite an extensive list of good wiha ground. Some has been taken out of the program and as said I seem to add several to the list every year. I even write a short description of the property such as ponds, draws, timber and how the ground lays.

some spots are known quail spots only while another I may have in my notes "bean field on hill top". Which would mean if it's marked as a goose area I could maybe kill geese on it during times of lots of snow. I'll know that the snow will have blown off the hill top. I spend a few hours each year before the season transferring info from the old map to the new one.

John scouting does take up a bunch of time for sure. That's not bad to pay for guaranteed hunting and someone else doing the scouting.

Yeah, I think it's a pretty good thing at a reasonable price. I've still got to go out and HUNT, but access to decent ground is taken care of.

I hate to admit this, but I believe the 'pay to hunt' system can be placed directly on the shoulders of the great state of Texas. Oil money...

I almost feel like a dick for knocking a door to simply ask permission... do I need a $50 bill to proceed?

Last edited:
hrm.

Oil money is held by a select few, and I'm not one of them. I work for mine, thank you.

Texas just has no public land worth a crap to hunt. If you want to hunt, and you don't own land, you lease or you drive to a state that does have public land. NM and Ks being two of the better.

I would hate to see ks turn into another texas. I love to hunt and can't afford a big lease hence the reason I love living here.

But if a guy can afford it more power to him. If I wanted a quail lease and lived in TX I would rather have it there. I've heard the quail are starting to rebound nicley in some areas of TX.

RJT, I meant nothing against you personally. The lease to hunt system is a baby of Texas however, and makes it hard for the 'common man' to compete. It's hard to go a couple of miles in some spots without seeing lease signs all over the place. Just my take.

My main concern is not only the lack of access for the common man, but also all the game populations that are being locked up by a deer lease, never to be hunted by anyone. A 2000 acre deer lease made by 2 hunters with the opportunity to shoot 2 bucks and whatever does they MIGHT hunt, being closed to quail, pheasant, duck, bunny, etc. We are losing our access that would recruit new hunters into the sport and maintain hunters that just need a place to go. We are more and more moving to the English model of hunting where only the rich can get a place to go. Currently, the less than 1% of public land in Kansas is supporting 18% of the hunting pressure. If you like to be alone for this often solitary sport, it is hard to do on public land.

lease people

I recall a group of so called hunters (weekend wariors, L.L. Bean outfitted shmucks) came into the little valley I live in and leased the best duck hunting springs and sloughs. No locals allowed. Funny thing was they only had one good hunt. Aftrr that they never shot a limit and sometimes never even saw a duck. 4 a.m. Shellcrackers rule! The leasees went away and the local fireworks crews rejoiced and hunted.

It's going to be hard to get the youngsters interested in bird hunting with the low bird populations; how many teens are going to want to walk all day with only getting one or two shots. Throw in the lease of the prime hunting areas and it paints a bleak picture for the common guy that wants to take his kids and get them interested in hunting.

Really wish Kansas hadn't opened up the state to non-resident deer hunters, as has been pointed out, that has driven a lot of the leasing by non-residents.

Back