Late season sharptail grouse in Nebraska

shinbone

(posted in the Colorado forum because I'm in Denver)

Below is a photo of a sharptail grouse I took last Friday in the panhandle of Nebraska off a point by my 21 month-old GSP, "Ziggy." This bird was taken in a CRP field adjacent to the wheat seen in the background. The grouse season ends in Nebraksa on January 31st, so this guy almost made it through the hunting season.

As plains hunters know, this late in the season the sharpies are coveyed-up and very skittish, making it difficult to work them with a pointing dog. Plus, once you find a covey, that is pretty much all the birds you are going to find in that area, meaning after many miles of walking you probably won't get a second chance if the first point doesn't work out.

The wind was blowing a steady 20 mph, with gusts up to 40 mph, that day. While the wind made for a less-than-pleasant day on the prairie, it probably helped to hold the birds to Ziggy's point. Ziggy was about 150 yards away from me when he went on point, and held the point for about 3 minutes while I hurried over the rough terrain to get in position. He point was rock solid and beautiful to see.

Once the birds started flushing, about 6 got up initially, followed by about 4 stragglers. I was not in the best shooting position when the birds started to go, but luckily, two of the stragglers passed close enough for a shot, and one bird fell to the big 12ga I carry for the typical late season long shots. Ziggy's point was followed by a very nice retrieve and lots of praise. After putting the bird in my game pouch, we hunted in the direction the main group of birds went, but had no more bird contacts.

Though this was the only bird of the day, it was a great hunt nonetheless because my knuckleheadedgoofball did a really good job of finding and holding the birds in the tough conditions.

336b4a3d.jpg

(photograph courtesy of my lovely girlfriend and fellow hunter, Patrice)

--shinbone

Last edited:
Shinbone,

Nice Job and great looking Shorthair! Looks like you had the whole county to yourselves. I have had some luck with Sharptails in Banner & Kimbell counties before. :coolpics:

Very nice. I have not hunted Sharptail yet, but if they are anything like Prairie Chicken in the late season, that is a trophy.

I have shot several PC over point, but they have been early season.

How far off was the dog pointing from the birds?

Outstanding!!! :thumbsup:

I've shot Columbian Sharptails in the mountains, but never a plains sharptail, very high on my "To-Do" list

Do you have a good recipe for sharptails you would like to share?

goldeneye - I'm no expert on cooking sharpies, but I breasted the bird out and let the breasts soak in water in the 'fridge for a day or two until I could get around to cooking it. I then cubed the breasts and coated the cubes with flour with a little black pepper mixed in. I then fried the cubes in olive oil and added a frozen stir-fry vegetable mix to the pan. Tasted good enough that my girlfriend ate a full helping.

Sharpies tend to have darker breast meat than pheasants, so the flavor is a little stronger than pheasant.

--shinbone

Whatever you do cook them rare, more like beef, than poultry. My second favorite eating bird, next to bobwhites. If you want scary eat a sage hen! Girlfriend, wife, or youngen's won't be back for that. I try to do sage hen chili, using a chicken chili recipe, If you don't eat or feed anybody for most of the day, use a lot of spices, and liberally drink, it's pretty good. If you expect anyone else to eat it don't tell them what it is!

goldeneye - I'm no expert on cooking sharpies, but I breasted the bird out and let the breasts soak in water in the 'fridge for a day or two until I could get around to cooking it. I then cubed the breasts and coated the cubes with flour with a little black pepper mixed in. I then fried the cubes in olive oil and added a frozen stir-fry vegetable mix to the pan. Tasted good enough that my girlfriend ate a full helping.

Sharpies tend to have darker breast meat than pheasants, so the flavor is a little stronger than pheasant.

--shinbone

That seems pretty easy. I have a friend that came back from NE with a bunch of sharptails he gave me a few of them to try. One of these days I'll cook them up and let you know how they turned out.

@oldnew
everything gets cooked Rare to MRare no use in killing it twice.

Back