Last pup?

18 car

Currently I have two GSP's. One is +12 yrs (pretty much retired) and the other is 6. Sadly, I am losing my 6 yr old to cancer (UGHH!). I have a pup coming from Idaho Hunting Dogs in June. That's exciting!
At 65 yrs old with good health, I ponder if my new pup will be my last bird dog. Expecting 10 good hunting years from a pup, that will make me 75 yrs old. Seriously question if I will have the desire or capacity for another dog at that time???
Make every season count boys! As you get older you will realize "TIME IS YOUR GREATEST ASSET"
The Magic of Flight

Will be 72 in July—Have new pup coming same month—(if desired breeding takes)
Have made arraignment for care of pup-if the pup out lasts me
Not giving in to age until I’m forced too-in fact may pick up started dog as well—when my current ones can’t go any more
Will never be without a dog or two—as long as their care is assured— of-if I check out First—

I'm 68 and have a new pup, and hope it is not my last. I also run dog agility with them. At a large trial last fall(weekend off from pheasant hunting) I took first place in a run. Congragulated the second place finisher and she called me a young whippersnapper. Turns out she was 86 and still getting young dogs. A caregiver is named in my will and money is set aside for them. Keep going and have fun with the new dog.

If space and wife allow, space them closer together.

I used to space my dog purchases eight years apart. Now I am at the 5-6 year gap. I like the 5 year gap. I will likely buy one at 59.

Maybe you look at spacing them about 3 years apart going forward ???

My kids (so far anyways) do not have the bird dog owner blood in them (I did at 18). Hoping they start owning them in the next 10 years or so. Grand bird dogs ... :)

Currently I have two GSP's. One is +12 yrs (pretty much retired) and the other is 6. Sadly, I am losing my 6 yr old to cancer (UGHH!). I have a pup coming from Idaho Hunting Dogs in June. That's exciting!
At 65 yrs old with good health, I ponder if my new pup will be my last bird dog. Expecting 10 good hunting years from a pup, that will make me 75 yrs old. Seriously question if I will have the desire or capacity for another dog at that time???
Make every season count boys! As you get older you will realize "TIME IS YOUR GREATEST ASSET"
The Magic of Flight

Don't even start thinking that far down the road. Take it a year at a time and enjoy the time with your new pup. I lost my last dog 3 years ago due to cancer at age 8. At the time I was 70. I got a new pup and who knows if she is my last one. While I hope this dog is around and hunting at age 12 there are no guarantees. Nor are they any for myself. Time will tell what happens but I'm not going to worry about it. Just going to enjoy the moment.

At 82...I ponder another dog.

Max, going on 10, continues to amaze with his stamina and drive, but I know his day's are numbered - and mine are also. I'm an upland hunter not one to sit in a duck blind. How long will the legs hold out is the obvious question and consideration?

A short while back, I read that Bud Grand (Vikings) decided on another dog; he's 92!

Maybe there's hope, after all!

There is something theraputical in having a dog by your side in the house. I applaud those of you that are thinking ahead and preparing for your hunting partners if you were to pass on before them. What a great idea!

Back