Labs Don't Point!

PointnLab

But, we dicided to start tuning up for the season anyway!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Cool pics!:coolpics: Hunted with a guy whose lab started pointing birds, (spent too much time running with my shorthairs I guess) and it pissed him off. Stopped hunting with me after '07. He wanted his dog to flush. I once watched him steer clear of my dogs when they were on point directly in his path. Saw rooster flush as I crested the ridge and sailed away without a shot fired. Fool once(imo)! One other occasion, pulled up to sight, my dogs went on point within 5 feet of truck, he's telling me this as I am pulling my gun out, his was out. I told him get ready. Again, rooster sailed away without shot fired, just stood there and watched:confused: I can only guess this guy wanted absolutely nothing to do with pointed birds. You still had to work for your Iowa birds back then. I wouldn't have been too proud to shoot a bird in front of his dog whether pointed or flushed.

No disrespect intended to the owners of any type of breed, but the guy who won't shoot pointed birds wouldn't be welcome to hunt with me. A bird pointed and held by a good dog, shooting the bird for him is his reward. My pup flushes and that's not a bird I'm shooting as he didn't do his job.

A lot of my buddies have flushing labs and I'll hunt with them any day, just not when I'm breaking in a new pup. Young pointing dogs and flushers don't mix that way.

One thing the guy doesn't understand, [and I'll throw myself under the bus here with the next comments] is that my shooting percentages go way up when I'm shooting over a point, whereas the flushed birds getting up 30-40 yards out leave me cussing way too often. I'd much rather have the bird pointed 30-40 yards out, me close and flush, thus being able to take my time and shoot at a reasonable range. go ahead and call me a poor shot, or whatever, but I'll take the pointed bird over the flushed one any day. It's my style of hunting.

I've never hunted behind a pointing lab, but hope to get the opportunity some day.

Cool pics!:coolpics: Hunted with a guy whose lab started pointing birds, (spent too much time running with my shorthairs I guess) and it pissed him off. Stopped hunting with me after '07. He wanted his dog to flush. I once watched him steer clear of my dogs when they were on point directly in his path. Saw rooster flush as I crested the ridge and sailed away without a shot fired. Fool once(imo)! One other occasion, pulled up to sight, my dogs went on point within 5 feet of truck, he's telling me this as I am pulling my gun out, his was out. I told him get ready. Again, rooster sailed away without shot fired, just stood there and watched:confused: I can only guess this guy wanted absolutely nothing to do with pointed birds. You still had to work for your Iowa birds back then. I wouldn't have been too proud to shoot a bird in front of his dog whether pointed or flushed.

Owning a flushing Lab I would have no problem shooting a pointed bird. Having owned flushing Labs for years I have hunted many times with pointers over the years. It has had no effect on my dog's drive to flush. A dog with a strong flush is not going to stop for anything. He wants that bird! My problem is holding him back from busting a point which will cause the pointer harm in the long run. As far as pointing labs go it is not my thing. I don't have a strong opinion either way, as long as I can still find one that doesn't. I guess I am a little different, I for one love that rush of the sudden blast. But don't be fooled, those of us that have hunted behind good flushers know when it is coming. Our dogs give us signs. Great photos by the way.

Last edited:
it's funny you say that, cause I'm the opposite!

My labs, especially my old dearly departed Tater, would point now and then. I bet I missed 80% of those birds. My shooting is always better on flushed birds, especially hard shots.
Go figure?:eek:

That's great! Last year in SD I was humbled and frustrated the first day. We shot a lot of clay birds in camp and my shooting got much better. Practice helps, for sure, which for some of us is a large part of the problem.

My Toller is a flusher and I love hunting with her, but I also appreciate watching a good pointer at work. I don't feel one way is better than the other -- just different, as is the shooting. By the way, I too know when my dog is about to flush a bird -- the tempo of the tail wagging hits "high" as she closes in. My wife told me the tail was going just like that when the dog jumped on a porcupine last week -- what a mess that was.

No disrespect intended to the owners of any type of breed, but the guy who won't shoot pointed birds wouldn't be welcome to hunt with me. A bird pointed and held by a good dog, shooting the bird for him is his reward. My pup flushes and that's not a bird I'm shooting as he didn't do his job.

A lot of my buddies have flushing labs and I'll hunt with them any day, just not when I'm breaking in a new pup. Young pointing dogs and flushers don't mix that way.

One thing the guy doesn't understand, [and I'll throw myself under the bus here with the next comments] is that my shooting percentages go way up when I'm shooting over a point, whereas the flushed birds getting up 30-40 yards out leave me cussing way too often. I'd much rather have the bird pointed 30-40 yards out, me close and flush, thus being able to take my time and shoot at a reasonable range. go ahead and call me a poor shot, or whatever, but I'll take the pointed bird over the flushed one any day. It's my style of hunting.

I've never hunted behind a pointing lab, but hope to get the opportunity some day.

Very good points Ranger. A pointing dog that has intentionally flushed a bird has failed to do his job properly, letting the bird go reinforces that failure by removing the reward of a job well done. Many flushing dogs sometimes point on occaission. Those instances usually result from a very close and intense interaction between the bird and the dog. Usually that flushing dog is exhibiting surprise, while evaluating what his "bird sense" tells him needs to be done, or to pinpoint the bird's location. A matter of a few seconds or the command to "get him" will result in a nice flush. Letting a pointed bird go from a point by a flushing dog is just plain silly, and fails to reinforce a good job by the dog.

Conversely, I am prone to miss a nicely pointed bird by my dog because I'm excited and focused on the dog work, not the shot. That's when the dog gives you one of these looks!:mad:

My Toller is a flusher and I love hunting with her, but I also appreciate watching a good pointer at work. I don't feel one way is better than the other -- just different, as is the shooting. By the way, I too know when my dog is about to flush a bird -- the tempo of the tail wagging hits "high" as she closes in. My wife told me the tail was going just like that when the dog jumped on a porcupine last week -- what a mess that was.

I had springers most of my life. Used to say their tails had 3 speeds: slow, medium, and Rooster!

If a flushing dog owner does not want to shoot a pointed bird because his dog did not do what it was suppose to why would you have a problem with that?

Letting a pointed bird go from a point by a flushing dog is just plain silly, and fails to reinforce a good job by the dog.

The dog did not do what it is suppose to. A flushing dog is to flush not point. Shooting a pointed bird from a flushing dog reinforces the same bad behavior as shooting a flushed dog from a pointer.

A pointing dog that flushes has gone a step too far, and that can't be brought back to the finished product...no reward. He will learn that staying in the point returns the desired result. If he holds his point and the bird flushes anyway...it's all still good, and he can be rewarded.

If a flushing dog stops short, he can be encouraged to finish. He may have stopped short because he is assessing the situation, usually a very close encounter, a surprise situation. If the pressure he applies causes the bird to flush, despite a flash stop...he's still done his job and should get the reward. If you want your dog to flush, and he goes on point early in the scent cone, yards from the bird...well, then you got a problem...or a good pointing dog.:cool:

My springers pointed every once in a great while...usually right on top of a pinned bird. I always thought that was a hoot! Didn't break any rules, just a situational thing.

Bottom line I guess is if you don't believe your dog has done his job properly and doesn't deserve the reward...let it fly away...

When hunting cattails I can't see my dogs so I can't encourage them to "flush". They need to do what they are suppose to do. Personally if the dog finds the bird it has done its job as far as I am concerned. My dogs will "point" or as FCS calls it "bad flush" it does not bother me too much but i would much rather they do a proper flush.

Love these pics of dogs in action afield.

When hunting cattails I can't see my dogs so I can't encourage them to "flush". They need to do what they are suppose to do. Personally if the dog finds the bird it has done its job as far as I am concerned. My dogs will "point" or as FCS calls it "bad flush" it does not bother me too much but i would much rather they do a proper flush.

See now this is how a fella gets drug into a bar fight he had no intention of starting,LOL. I will stick with my 3 speed how ever.:D

Back