Lab Breeding Question

Pheasant.Esq

I am currently in the market to buy my first dog, and have a question regarding breeding. I am sure there are varying opinions on breeding, but I have read online and heard from some people that I should try to purchase a dog from the purest sense of gene placement – meaning (I think) purchase a dog with the dominant traits/color to increase the odds that the positive traits are passed along.

My question to all of you is, should this have a determinative impact on choosing a puppy? I am currently looking at a litter between a yellow male and black female, and also a litter between a chocolate male and a black female. Both litters have what appear to be strong pedigrees in terms of titles and great health clearances. However, it concerns me somewhat that both males are of different color than the puppy I would choose and that maybe the dominant trait genes are not being passed on?

Probably overthinking this too much, but if I am spending the money I just want to make sure I am doing so wisely. Any comments or recommendations would be great.

Thanks!

No color shouldn't have a determinative impact and yes you are over thinking it!
I do get what you are saying but if the pedigree is what you want and the clearances are there I wouldn't give it a second thought. That being said I strongly prefer black but if I found a breeding I couldn't live without I'd pull the trigger.

If you want send me a link to the pedigrees, I'll give you my opinion (for what thats worth). All regions tend to have a Stud Du Jour or Dam of the day so I likely will not know the dogs personally but certain lines tend to throw certain traits. And if you read enough pedigrees you will start to recognize many dogs.

This is the quote from the article concerning coat color in Labs, "black from a yellow x yellow breeding indicates a misbreeding" I agree.

Yellow/chocolate breedings have bad pigmentation, I disagree.

If the parents of the proposed chocolate to yellow mating have the desired physical and psychological qualities you desire I see no problem with any pup from this mating. Depending on the genotype of the yellow dog you might receive all colors from this mating or only liver or yellow. Should the yellow dog have a black nose all colors could be produced. If the yellow dog has a lighter colored nose only liver and yellow will be produced. The palate of the dog with the black nose dog will have some black pigmentation. The palate of the yellow dog with lighter nose color will be similar to the lighter nose pigment.

Recessive does not indicate an inferior gene, it just will not be expressed if another recessive of the same type is not present.

Last edited:
I’ve always had yellows even before Marley and Me, what about some of the other colors like fox red and silver? It seems like 30 years ago most yellows were a lot darker and have been getting lighter ever since. You even see some that look white.

I’ve always had yellows even before Marley and Me, what about some of the other colors like fox red and silver? It seems like 30 years ago most yellows were a lot darker and have been getting lighter ever since. You even see some that look white.

First, there is no such thing as a silver lab. Second if you want a yellow, get one from a black to black breeding or a black to yellow breeding.

There a various ways to explain the genetics of the silver lab. It does exist but how did the genotype that produces it come to exist. Some say it was done through selective breeding of the individuals that had the desired characteristics. How where these chosen? That question puzzles me and I will leave it as more questions arise. Others believe the silver coat came to be by the introduction of a recessive dilution factor (dd) from another breed.

I can believe this and it can be demonstrated easily using the (dd) alleles combined with either the black or especially chocolate genotypes.

I would not choose any color puppy that came from the mating of parents that produced a silver puppy.

I would be willing to choose a puppy from the mating of any two yellow dogs that had the desired characteristics. Earlier I indicated that the mating of two yellows would produce only yellow. The difference would be some would have dark pigment in their nose and on the skin but would have the yellow coat. Their genotype is (B?ee) Others would have lighter pigment on the nose and skin with the yellow coat. Their genotype (bbee).

I have been around a few " silver Labs" most were dogs with many physical issues. Some believe they started with a Weimeraner breeding. I still see a few here from time to time for sale. Patrick when you are ready to come to the " dark side" let me know. :)

Well I have never seen "silver" listed on an AKC registration, so no labs are not silver. Anyone claiming to have one does not have a pure bred labrador.

Tom, my dog should be in heat at our next outing,both dogs have desireable traits if they have a love connection I’d be cool with It.Looks like silvers are registered chocolate and considered a fault by akc. Your supposed to not register them if they are thrown.

My female started her heat cycle tonite. Will breed her to my male. Black to Black and both yellow factored. Every dog titled in the first 3 generations of both pedigree's. If we get pups, 4 already spoken for.

WKBH, that’s awesome. As I’ve gotten older I’ve tried to be more informed about the dog I purchase. The last one has a pretty good pedigree, health guarantees eyes, hips, elbows, but as a Hunter and non field trial guy it’s tough to always make sense of pedigrees, It almost seems like you devalue the dog if you don’t have them pass basic trial events. Plus there are so many guys selling labs it seems like a real racket in some regards.

Back