Lab Breeder - Dallas area

jonnyB

My nephew's Lab recently passed away and he now seeks a breeder (Labs) in the Dallas area. Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

There’s a veterinarian that posts on another board I frequent that currently has a litter of all chocolate pups. I don’t believe they’re in the Dallas area but they are in Texas.

They usually advertise pups once or twice per year. That’s all I know about the dogs, but the pictures of the sire and dam are impressive.

The email contact is agvet13@yahoo.com and the phone number is (512) six six 3 - 5 three 3 five.

Here’s a link to the post on the other message board: https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3352431

Hi Larry,

Thanks for forwarding the info. on the Lab pups - I did pass it on to my nephew for his scrutiny.

Jon

This one’s over here in ND, last I heard they were charging 800 a pup, I’ve been around the stud dog the last few years, super talented dog. He’s an AKC Master hunter transitioning to field trials. Both dogs have solid pedigrees and health clearances.

This one’s over here in ND, last I heard they were charging 800 a pup, I’ve been around the stud dog the last few years, super talented dog. He’s an AKC Master hunter transitioning to field trials. Both dogs have solid pedigrees and health clearances.

Thanks, Patrick...I sent this on to Brian, however, he seems to have his heart set on a yellow...

It all depends on your desired wardrobe colors.

If you are a black and gray wardrobe type of guy, get a black.

If you tend toward the earth tones...khaki, tan, light browns, get a yellow.

Dark browns? Get a chocolate.

Follow me for more Labrador hair tips.

If he got a black one he would forget there are yellows….
He claims the chocolate labs apparently do not have the same "prey drive" as yellows...his opinion, not mine. Feel free to weigh-in on this...I've hunted with all three types/colors of Labs and can't tell the difference.

I've had 2 chocolates. The first big male was so good that he was the foundation of the line my vet partner and I developed. He pointed, he retrieved, he handled. Incredible nose; did the old point another rooster in mid-retrieve with another rooster in his mouth. Just an awesome dog.

I owned a small 55 pound female that traced her lineage back to him. Another indefatigable pheasant dog, no quit in her, prey drive in spades. The group called her The Energizer Bonnie as Bonnie was her name. Lived the longest of all the line, 15 1/2. Hunted some in SD at 14+. Great nose, great marking and retrieving.

So.... I HAVE seen some pretty much useless chocolates. But I've had the pleasure of owning two great ones. I'd be leary of any if I wasn't real familiar with the breeder and the line.

BTW, Jonny, my English friends have the same overall impressions of chocolates over there as your nephew does. They don't want one. Period.

I agree Jonny, no difference. Must have a limited experience pool. And Chestle, people do select dog colors based on home tones, sad but true. Enjoy the banter. Good to have choices.

Serious the dark dogs won't take the Texas sun like the lighter haired dogs. Could be a cause and effect type thing.

I have seen the strongest prey drive in a chocolate lab. One that had the curly coat like a Chesapeake. Heat was only thing that could hold him back.

I apologize for my apparently weak attempt at humor concerning matching Lab hair color to your wardrobe.

I do know we vacuum up enough in a week to make a nice sweater.
I got it, and appreciated it. Much like Carptoms comment.

You do know that god only made yellow labs to keep the flies off the black ones, and chocolates are the duck billed platypus of the dog world. :) Smiley face for butt hurt avoidance

I apologize for my apparently weak attempt at humor concerning matching Lab hair color to your wardrobe.

I do know we vacuum up enough in a week to make a nice sweater.
John: Always enjoy your humor - no apology necessary.

Jon

So all kidding aside, I have owned and hunted behind many labs. I had two different black labs that were very nice with incredible prey drives. Owned two yellows, one was a big strong dog with great drive, the other was just ok. Have hunted with one good chocolate, and a couple that were not impressive. I have found the black ones to be overall better dogs, but that is way less about color, and more about the dogs I have been exposed to. Personally I would never let color dictate my first choice unless the pedigrees were similar.

I've always had difficulty getting a pup.
This year was not different.
Started looking in October for a pup within a day's drive (500-600 miles).
Found a breeding in southern Idaho...called the breeder...bitch did not get pregnant.
Found a breeding in western Washington, put down a $500 deposit, number 1 on the list for a female pup...
waited weeks, failed breeding, breeder returned my deposit.
Found a breeding in Idaho, put down a $500 deposit for a female pup, and success.
birdie_return.JPG
A reputable breeder should have Genetic tests for EIC and CNM.
Both parents OFA hips & elbows as well as eye CERF

A reputable breeder would replace dog if dog at 20-26 months fails CERF or OFA test.

So as a guy who has had 5 Chocolate labs since the early 90's I would say all mine have had great prey drive maybe too much sometimes...lol
We decided last year to get a yellow lab and she has great drive too. All these dogs came out of KS where we live and all have excelled at upland hunting. I think for my next dog I am going to sneak in an all brown GSP and tell the wife it a shorttailed lab. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've always had difficulty getting a pup.
This year was not different.
Started looking in October for a pup within a day's drive (500-600 miles).
Found a breeding in southern Idaho...called the breeder...bitch did not get pregnant.
Found a breeding in western Washington, put down a $500 deposit, number 1 on the list for a female pup...
waited weeks, failed breeding, breeder returned my deposit.
Found a breeding in Idaho, put down a $500 deposit for a female pup, and success.
View attachment 5336
A reputable breeder should have Genetic tests for EIC and CNM.
Both parents OFA hips & elbows as well as eye CERF

A reputable breeder would replace dog if dog at 20-26 months fails CERF or OFA test.
Color is a preference. Genetics is a must have along with health clearances

Nice looking pup skeeter. The English in the 1800’s culled yellows and chocolate labs….. however the very foundation labs the dukes started with were reddish/yellow! ( at least a couple)
Know the parents you’ll know the likely hood of the pups potential!

Nice looking pup skeeter. The English in the 1800’s culled yellows and chocolate labs….. however the very foundation labs the dukes started with were reddish/yellow! ( at least a couple)
Know the parents you’ll know the likely hood of the pups potential!
So true. My 6-year does not even have a junior hunter in her pedigree, yet 100% trained by me and MH/QA2.
Mostly because it was a repeat breeding and I liked the dogs from the first breeding.
FirstPlace.jpg

Back