Knife Sharpening Devices

Dakotazeb

I didn't want to hijack the thread on knives to thought I would start a new one. Seems sharpening a knife is a problem for many of us. I've tried just about everything out there. Stones, steels, electric sharpeners and other various devices. Never found any to work real well for me. Heck, give me a steel and I'll show you how to dull up a knife in a hurry! :)

The only thing that I've found to work quite well is the Edgemaker System https://secure.edgemaker.com/sections/products/ProductDetail.aspx?prod_id=18

Dakota Zeb,

The best field sharpener I found for a quick edge is a Smith's Broadhead Sharpening tool. Cheap, gets the job done fast, replacement carbide tips available. I have several, even one for the kitchen.

I have skinned Buffalo, Elk, Deer, hogs and just about every other wild game with no issues.

I've been through them all (nearly!). I use the folding DMT diamond sharpeners now with great results.
-Croc

I have a electric knife sharpener for my butchering knives and I use a old fashioned black wet stone for most my other sharpening and maintenance. I like all of you have had every sharpening device known to man. A good Diamond impregnated sharpener is a very good tool.

I also feather edge sharpen my knives, drawing the knife away from the edge with each stroke, not the method of trying act as though your carving a thin slice off the stone. It isn't as durable of a edge but it is quick way to get a edge and it's very sharp. I always maintain the edge during the butchering/skinning/cleaning process. Never get behind on the edge or you will fight to get it back.

Hey George,

Looking at the weather in central SD...you must have at least one more hunt this year!

Cheers,

Jon

My brother when he was alive could sharpen a knife beyond belief. He used a stone and oil. He would take the knife and in one swipe shave a patch of hair off his arm. Well now I use the Warthog V-Sharp sharper. I love it.

I like my spyderco sharpmaker, and for christmas last year the wife bought me a strop. the two of them together make blades pretty scary sharp

I've got a Gatco system and dad and bro in law have the Lansky, both about the same thing.

Another forum I go to the real die-hards talk up the Edge Pro system, but its a couple hundred dollars for the entry level version.

I get them plenty sharp. It's funny to watch someone as I cut hot fresh bread, just out of the oven and the slice just glides off with no squish. They just say, I want a knife that sharp. It's taken me years to be able to do this though.

ONPOINT, What do you use to sharpen your knives with? I have some that need to sharpen for my mother to cut bread with. I sharpen mine to cut meat with a stone.

Last edited:
Thanks Onpoint. The one my mom likes to use for cutting bread is one my dad gave her years ago and is hard to sharpen.

Back