Kent ultimate ammo

Roy B

Anyone use this stuff? I'm thinking about ordering some 6 shot 2 3/4" but I have never used it before. I usually use prairie storm but its getting almost impossible to find.

Attachments

• 20220222_183420.jpg
    20220222_183420.jpg
    632.3 KB · Views: 9
I've shot the # 5 they work just fine.

I usually use prairie storm but its getting almost impossible to find.
You might consider trying Wing Shok. Its essentially the previous version of Prairie Storm made by Federal.

Disclosure: I also prefer Prairie Storm but my second choice is Wing Shok. Last year I couldn't find any PS but I did find Wing Shok after a hard 8 month search.

I have noticed that a lot of guys recommend using a more open choke like IC with the faster loads and just wondering why? Thanks for the advice on the Kent shells also, it sounds like they are a great pheasant getter.

I shot mine through a L mod choke In 12 gauge. Over flushing labs.

I have noticed that a lot of guys recommend using a more open choke like IC with the faster loads and just wondering why?
I use high velocity rounds with an IC choke all season. Its very dependent on what the anticipated range is going to be when hunting. I don't hunt public, highly-pressured land and all of my shots are within 30 yards. My dog hunts within about 20 yards of me all the time because that's the way I want it. A high velocity round gets there quicker and an IC choke is better for closer shots. Its simply physics.

If you intent to take some longer shots then an IC choke is probably not the best one to be using. May also be dependent on how far you allow your dog to hunt from you.

Anyone use this stuff? I'm thinking about ordering some 6 shot 2 3/4" but I have never used it before. I usually use prairie storm but its getting almost impossible to find.
I'm sure it will handle pheasant killin just fine if you can put the pattern on their front end!

If you think high-velocity or heavier loads perform "better" (whatever you think better is) at killin pheasants, here are a few of my pattern numbers for you to ponder.

Are you really getting any benefits from the more expensive “Premium” or “Super” pheasant loads on the market?

Well, let’s see what the pattern board can tell us about some of these loads and how they perform in my gun and chokes.

Patterning results from a 12-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

12 GA 2 3/4" FEDERAL GAME-SHOK HEAVY FIELD LOAD
1 ¼ oz #5 lead (224 pellets) @ 1220 fps

30 YARDS – IC / pattern 173 (77%)
40 YARDS – Mod / pattern 145 (65%)
50 YARDS – Full / pattern 109 (49%)

12 GA 2 3/4" FEDERAL PREMIUM UPLAND HIGH-VELOCITY LOAD
1 ¼ oz #5 lead (216 pellets) @ 1400 fps

30 YARDS – IC / pattern 152 (70%)
40 YARDS – Mod / pattern 126 (58%)
50 YARDS – Full / pattern 84 (39%)

12 GA 2 3/4" WINCHESTER SUPER PHEASANT LOAD
1 3/8 oz #5 lead (234 pellets) @ 1300 fps

30 YARDS – IC / pattern 186 (79%)
40 YARDS – Mod / pattern 149 (64%)
50 YARDS – Full / pattern 113 (48%)

It’s obvious from the pattern numbers that the Game-Shok load shot tighter patterns (IC / +7%, Mod / +7%, and Full / +10%) than the Premium Upland high-velocity load with the chokes tested.

Now, the Winchester Super Pheasant 1 3/8-ounce load started out with 10 more pellets than the 1 ¼-ounce Game-Shok load; and it did put a few more pellets (IC / +13 pellets, Mod / +4 pellets, and Full / +4 pellets) in the patterns than the Game-Shok load. The question you have to ask yourself is… are those few extra pellets in the 30-, 40- and 50-yard patterns really providing any noticeable benefit to killin’ pheasants?

It’s clear to me that you could save some money and reduce recoil by shooting the relatively slow 1220 fps load and not really forgo any pheasant killin’ effectiveness. Heck, the slower Game -Shok load put 24 more pellets (a 29% increase) in the 50-yard pattern than the Premium Upland load and had only 4 fewer pellets than the heavier Winchester Super Pheasant load. Just because they are labeled “Premium” or “Super” loads, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are “better” at killin’ pheasants!

That’s my take, now you can be the judge!

I bought my first case of Fast Lead back 15-20 years ago. I think it may have been called something different back then.
Pretty sure it used to be called Ultimate Upland as I have used it for a long time myself. Changed to Fast Lead several years ago.

Kent makes good ammo. I don't think you can go wrong with FastLead. My only caveat is, as Joe Hunter noted, the "fast" loads tend not to produce tight patterns. I've always attributed this to increased pellet deformation due to the added "set back" and the lead pellets deforming on each other. Many trap shooters, when they shoot Annie Oakley long distance events will go the lightest load possible to keep as many pellets on target as possible out at 60-70+ yards. I currently shoot Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 3" 20ga 1 1/4 oz at 1,200fps. They are lethal. These days, if you find a good, reputable ammunition, such as Kent FastLead you better take advantage.

I’ve been shooting Fast Lead 1 ounce loads in my 16 gauges for years. Really good consistent ammo!

I’ve been shooting Fast Lead 1 ounce loads in my 16 gauges for years. Really good consistent ammo!

Nice! 1 ounce at 1300 fps is as much velocity as I'd want for shooting phez over pointers inside of 30 yards...40 yards for that matter. IC choke. I hunt all public land and ditches. If I was hunting private land, I'd probably just use 1 ounce #6 Remington Game loads. I prefer lower velocity rounds and head shots (Butt, Bird, Beak, BANG!). 16 gauge, of course.

I'm actually thinking of shooting 1 ounce #5 Boss bismuth exclusively because it does everything I need it to do.

I think a lot of guys are misguided on what they choose to shoot, but they can spend their money however they want.

Nice! 1 ounce at 1300 fps is as much velocity as I'd want for shooting phez over pointers inside of 30 yards...40 yards for that matter. IC choke. I hunt all public land and ditches. If I was hunting private land, I'd probably just use 1 ounce #6 Remington Game loads. I prefer lower velocity rounds and head shots (Butt, Bird, Beak, BANG!). 16 gauge, of course.

I'm actually thinking of shooting 1 ounce #5 Boss bismuth exclusively because it does everything I need it to do.

I think a lot of guys are misguided on what they choose to shoot, but they can spend their money however they want.
Me too

I haven't shot any of the Boss out of my 16ga, (I bought a case before it became so crazy priced) but my wife used it out of her 20 gauge last fall to kill a limit of ducks. It was outstanding.

Back