Kennels and Crates

Dakotazeb

I need to purchase new travel kennels for my Brittanys. In the past I have used both the wire crates and most recently the plastic kennels. I'm debating which to do with this time. In the house I have Midwest Life Stages wire kennels that are 36"L x 24"W x 26" H. I'm thinking of buying the Midwest I Crate in a 30"L x 19"W x 21"H for travel.

I like the idea of the wire crate in warm weather as it has more air circulation and when it gets cold I can throw an old sleeping bag over them. When I've been using the plastic kennels I also throw a sleeping bag or two over the kennels to keep the dogs warm.

I should tell you that my dogs are traveling in the back of my SUV, not a pickup.

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Plastic Kennels or Wire Crates? And why.

Last edited:
I like plastic crates for travel, they are light weight and they are easy to break down when you need too, plus they are easier to clean then wire crates in-case your dog has an accident. Then again My dogs ride in the back seat of my truck when we go hunting, man!! my dogs are spoiled. I do have wire crates there are mainly for home use there are to bulky for me to travel with my 2cents.

MJ

I use only Plastic Crates. I also have a SUV a Dodge Durango.Tony has been raised with a crate for travel and for his night-time bed. Why are you worried about heat in a SUV? Tony and any other dog traveling with me, have plenty of heat back there by the tailgate. Tony during the early season and I have had other dogs do it too. Is they drink a lot of cold water to fast after the hunt. They then "chuck it back up" on the way to the next spot or home. I carry water in the field, but Tony always wants more. I can clean the plastic with a yard hose quick and easy. I buy carpet samples from a carpet store. They always have some for sale cheap. I use them for the dogs to lay on in the crates. They wash up nice also with the hose.---Bob

I'm looking at crates right now too. I'll probably go with an Intermediate size plastic crate for two reasons: I can fit two of them in the cargo area of my SUV (Tahoe) and the Intermediate size crates fit the medium size Mud River Dixie Kennel Covers (32x23x25).

Something I don't understand here which leads to this question. Why are you covering your kennels in a SUV? The only time I like mine covered is when we take my son's pick-up.---Bob

Bob,

When I'm on the road hunting you can't always bring the dog into a motel. I also hunt out of state and stay with some friends that won't let dogs in their house. So in these situations the dogs are outside in the back of my SUV all night. There are times when the temps get pretty low. Even below zero. Need to cover them to retain the heat.

George

I use plastic porta kennels in my topper in addition to an 8 hole trailer. When I'm doing short hunts, I leave the trailer at home and take 4-6 dogs in 4 crates. They are good in the house, good for house breaking, good for training whoa. If I had an open bed truck I would bet an aluminum pickkup bed box that I could bolt in.

Something I don't understand here which leads to this question. Why are you covering your kennels in a SUV? The only time I like mine covered is when we take my son's pick-up.---Bob

Bob,

In addition to the reason George mentioned, I cover my crate during hunting season to keep my dog from barking at livestock and farm dogs. Seems to me an insulated kennel cover like the Mud River covers would give a guy a lot of flexibility.

Last edited:
I like crates because if the dog is wet or muddy in the back of my SUV it doesn't shake and spray muddy water everywhere. I have a Mud River crate pad and am planning on getting a Mud River cover, very nice covers with alot of pockets.

My purpose behind starting this thread was to find out peoples preference in what they use for dog confinement when hunting/traveling. I was comparing the wire crates to the plastic kennels. However, I think some of you use the term "crate" for everything and others use the tern "kennel" for everything. So going forward lets define a "Crate" as a wire crate and a "Kennel" as the plastic ones. OK? Hopefully there will be less confusion.

George, Thank you for the explanation, When I travel like that I take my camper. It is completely self-contained. Tony stays in there with me. I was totally stumped as to why you needed covers. Now I agree very good reason makes a lot sense. All of my crates are the Vari-Kennel Plastic ones. Of which I have about 5 of various sizes. Tony is such a crate baby, he has one where ever he goes with me. 1 in my camper, 1 in my boat, etc.---Bob

Last edited:
We use the Midwest wire crates in the back of our suburban. One is a full size crate and the other is the skinnier model for SUV’s. Both are the folding “suitcase” type crates. If I had it to do over again, I would buy 2 of the skinnier versions as it is a tight fit with the current setup. We previously used the plastic kennels, but with the heat in Texas we switched to the wire crates some years ago for better circulation of air. In cold weather, we do the same as you and just throw something over the crates to help keep the heat in.

I also built a platform that both crates sit on in the back of the suburban. I store my guns, shells, and other gear underneath the crates. I didn’t make any pull out drawers like I have seen on others, but may consider modifying the platform in the future.

I use the wire "crates" when I am in my Yukon and covered plastic "kennels" when I am in my truck and the weather is frigid. If I am transporting more than my two GSP's, I have an old 4-bay trailer with 24"x36" bays and top storage. If you are using the plastic type kennel in the back of a truck, make sure you tie it down. Do not trust the dogs weight to hold it in. I saw a Brittany airborne once at about 70 mph. The box flipped but was caught by the tailgate and stayed in the bed. I was following behind. It could have turned ugly. Don't think it can't happen. The next time you drive down the highway, just ask yourself how that sofa or dryer got their?

I like the fold down wire crates with a door on the wide side and one on the end. Fits long ways in my H3 and I use the side door, in the truck back I can side 2 in and use the end doors. The real bonus is that they fold down flat and store nicely againist a wall or even better in the popup camper.

I just traded in my SUV (Durango) for a brand new Dodge Ram. In my Durango I used the plastic kennel but I put a lot of straw in it to help with the heat loss and to make it more comfy for my dog. At the hotel he stays in the room with me. Now that I have a truck I'm looking at getting a 2 hole diamond plated "box" for him that is insulated and has the insulated side louvers for air circulation. I had always used the plastic kennels due to the ease of cleaning them and plus the fact that I got mine for free one day on the jobsite. :D

I have decided to stay with the plastic kennels for use in my SUV. For my Brittanys I use an Intermediate size (32Lx22Wx24H) kennel. In fact I just ordered another one from Sierra Trading Post. It's a Petmate Pet Porter and the price was $34.95. Shipping was $17.95 for a total of $52.90 which is still very reasonable. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/413,32716_Petmate-Pet-Porter-Travel-Crate-Intermediate.html

I also found a great deal on Kennel Jackets for the Intermediate size kennels at http://www.coverbonanza.com/7516/26246/Hunting/Dog-Kennel-Jacket.html They are closing out the insulated wetlands camo covers for $20.94.

Hope someone else can take advantage of this deal!

Wire or Plastic Dog Crates

The plastic offers more protection in a wreck. The wire are cooler and keeping dogs cool is more of a challenge and more critical to their well-being than keeping them warm. The wire have a slide out pan for the bottom (easy to clean) and you can just set the wire cage on the grass and that's the bottom. The plastic seems to pick up residue off the dog, can get smelly, and requires periodic cleaning. If loaded into a hot car, the dog should stay more comfortable in a wire; the plastic will retain heat. If wet, the dog will dry more quickly in wire due to unlimited air circulation.

So, I guess I am for wire.

I have both but more and more often I use the wire (in the back of a Subaru Forester) because it does not block my rearward visibility as much as the plastic kennel does. Downside, as somone pointed out, is when pup is wet or dirty and shakes. I line both in the bottom with closed cell phone camping pads cut in half - other half is glued to the bottom of the boat where I want Ruby steady during waterfowl hunts. Very warm and easy to clean.
-Croc

I have a Giant/King Size crate for Tony in the house, that is his night time bed. It is big enough for a Great Dane. Tony loves that thing. He always goes to bed at 9:00PM. From 8:30 on it is a fight to keep him up. I have that made into a Comfort Special for him. The floor is cover with Carpet Foam Pad. Then I have a solid piece of carpet. I add about 6 or so carpet samples for him to put where he wants. He has about 6 small pillows like go on a couch or chair. These he puts where he wants. If I stay up late, my lamp bothers him. So he stacks the pillows length-wise against the cage door to cut out the light. A buddy of mine said; "it is big enough I should a plumbing to it and Tony can do his own cooking". No, he is not spoiled, he is just overly loved.---Bob

Last edited:
Back