KDWPT WIHA program

I was asked to weigh in on the WIHA program as such I will try to briefly explain the complexity of the program and address the major themes that arose from the original post. Forgive me if I get windy

The Kansas WIHA program provides over 1 million acres and average lease payment is $2.50/ acre but ranges from $0 - $8 depending on access period, cover type, accessability, location etc. we see annually about a 20% turnover in these acres but have so far been able to maitain the >1 million mark.

When evlauating a "bad" property some things to keep in mind

1)Quality is in the EYE of the beholder

The WIHA Program services all hunters not just bird hunters so has all types of cover, we have requests to lease Prairie dog colonies, lease some green wheat for waterfowl lots of deer and turkey, etc.

2) Some WIHA's are free

While rare we do have some properties donated to detour trespassing hunters from driving, reduce number of hunters asking permission etc. These cost us nothing other then time to hang signs. These are hard to turn away. While <25% of our WIHA is cropland acres cropland acres don't offer the same quality every year sometimes we will run a continous lease but pay a severly depressed rate or only pay on years with desirable crops. This saves time and money from removing and reposting signs every year and allows our biologists to invest that time into finding other properties.

3) Some time you have to take the good with the bad

We do negotiate with landowners and sometimes we recieve the all or none ultimatume, if the good is good enough we will include the bad but again normally this impacts their $/acre. Likewise we may maitain a lease on a property where the quality is reduced for 1 year due to drought etc. if it is typically a good property and/or we have a good running relationship with the cooperator.

4) Acres can offer more then just hunting access

Sometime lower quality acres are excepted to allow better access to adjoining properties if access is limited. Also somtimes it helps to be able to provide clear boundaries to hunters to help them find the boundaries and stay where they are suppose to be.

5) Habitat is fluid and landowners have control

Contracts are signed primarily in spring and summer and can be for 1-3 year terms or even up to 10 years with some incentive enrollments. At the time of negotiations habitat may be good but managment that happens prior to the hunting season may change quality without our knowledge. Some of our biologst have over 200,000 acres in their district we address problems as we encouter them but are unable to inspect every acre every year.

Kansas WIHA VS. others
In comparing our programs to other states, there is a long standing debate of low quantity/high quailty vs. high quantity/low quality and Kansas has long been accused of padding our acres with low quality. Several other states pay much higher rates and tie cooperators to managment plans that the state implements on the property. This greatly inflates the $/acre of the program and reduces the amount of acres that can be offered. It is our belief that there is enough quality propeties in Kansas that we are more efficient by seeking addtional properties at the lower rate and affording the landowner complete control so our hunters have lots of area to hunt. This undoubtley means that we have some lower quality acres for reasons mentioned above but overall we feel is the best way to provide hunters with the most quality acres we can.

WIHA stamp
Under the rules of the federal PR grant if we charged a fee to use WIHA or to recieve the atlas it would count as program income toward the grant. The end result is any funds generated would be subtracted off the federal share of the grant so no net gain. If we charged a habitat stamp for all licence holders that is no different then raising the base cost of the licence which we just did last year and as such would not have support for at this time.

Several mapping tools were suggested and we also provide tools on our website to allow you to do some armchair scouting before you hit the field to at least have a relative idea of what the cover type is.

http://ksoutdoors.com/KDWPT-Info/Locations/Hunting-Fishing-Atlas/Fall-Hunting-Atlas

There are a number of additional things I could say about the program but won't for the time being. I hope this helps explain some of the frustration in the field so you can enjoy more of your time knowing our staff is working to make the best use of your money to provide hunting access for all hunters.

Last edited:
I just want to say, thank you!!! For all your hard work and for the program. You guys and gals do an amazing job with what little you have to work with.

I browse this sight off and on. I normally do not post here. The WIHA program is the main reason I continue bird hunting. It is a great program and sends me to KS almost every weekend. As others have said, if you do some homework there birds to keep you and your dog(s) running around in!

Thanks for posting the background and explanations on how the program is operated. Whenever I call the KDWP and ask them to mail me harcopies of the atlas they go out of their way to get mailed to me. Keep up the great work. Hopefully, the impacts from the previous drought years will continue to improve the habitat.

Ken

I browse this sight off and on. I normally do not post here. The WIHA program is the main reason I continue bird hunting. It is a great program and sends me to KS almost every weekend. As others have said, if you do some homework there birds to keep you and your dog(s) running around in!

Thanks for posting the background and explanations on how the program is operated. Whenever I call the KDWP and ask them to mail me harcopies of the atlas they go out of their way to get mailed to me. Keep up the great work. Hopefully, the impacts from the previous drought years will continue to improve the habitat.

Ken

I had to ask 3 times for a atlas last time lol. NE sends me 1 with asking same with SD & ND did 1 year after I went now they stop shoot my home stop won't offer to mail u a public land map no matter how many times u ask lol

I do thank KS wiha for my 1st Rio grande wild turkey

Great info. Thanks for taking the time. WIHA is the reason we continue to go to KS most years. The WHIA stamp cost vs PR grant money makes sense too. Again , well done and THANKS!

I understand that with a million acres it's unrealistic to have KDWPT employees check the tracts regularly. Has there been any discussion for a crowdsourced program for tract evaluation?

Great post and very informative. I sure appreciate the WICA program and YOUR efforts to make it such a success. Thank you very much.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. :10sign: :cheers:

Overall I like the program and think it gives many, myself included access you would not get otherwise. Some of your limitations I feel has a lot to do with lack of state funds to give you guys the proper staff you need. Hopefully we as residents can change that with the next election by putting officials in office who have the insight to grow our economy.

One quick question regarding access - and this may be the landowners dictating the terms to the KDWPT - but there are a few larger (several square mile) tracts in SW/West/NW KS that are for the most part landlocked where access is extremely limited and keeping in the spirit of "Walk" in only, it would be near impossible to get to the far reaches or hunt half the property and then be out at the end of the day like you are supposed to.

Anyway could we maybe be able to nudge the biologists to push for some better access points to these? From studying the map I think I've found 5 or so of these, but they are HUGE chunks of land, and only partially usable due to essentially being on an island. I'm sure they have fooled a lot of people driving there and figuring that out.

Again - it may be the landowner dictating the rules on that - but I hope the payment is reduced accordingly. The first one that comes to mind is in SW KS.

And here's to hoping your departments funding gets better when we elect a new governor in 2 years.

I just want to say, thank you!!! For all your hard work and for the program. You guys and gals do an amazing job with what little you have to work with.

Agree 100%. I had a farmer stop when I was parked at a WIHA last year. I thanked him too up and down and he just responded, "I forgot I had this piece in."

Yes accessability and size both impact the rate recieved. The road layers in the atlas are not always correct either. Some proporties don't appear to have any roads going to them at all. The roads data in the atlas come from each county and are only as accurate as what we recieve. This is also why some counties don't have road names b/c the county data didn't include it when we recieved it.

One note on funding:

We are a fee funded agency, this means we take no state general funds for our work. Hunters and fisherman are the ones supporting our programs. This is a 2 part system that includes state and federal dollars. The state dollars come from your licences fees that you pay to participate. The federal side comes from taxes on hunting and fishing equipment (guns, ammo, tackle, etc). There are federal protections on how this money can be spent. As such state politics are not influencing how much money we have, that is driven by YOU the hunter choosing to participate. There is some oversight the legislature has on how we can spend the money such as whether we can purchase land or rate of pay for employees, but the WIHA program is not being affected by the current political climate.

Thanks for the post -- it was very informative and gives good insight into the methodology for selecting properties. It makes sense to me.

I think it's human nature to grumble more than praise, especially online. The fact is, we've got it damn good. If you put in the time to find places, they're there. If you can swing it to hunt after opening weekend and/or during the week, you won't have to share as much.

One note on funding:

We are a fee funded agency, this means we take no state general funds for our work. Hunters and fisherman are the ones supporting our programs. This is a 2 part system that includes state and federal dollars. The state dollars come from your licences fees that you pay to participate. The federal side comes from taxes on hunting and fishing equipment (guns, ammo, tackle, etc). There are federal protections on how this money can be spent. As such state politics are not influencing how much money we have, that is driven by YOU the hunter choosing to participate. There is some oversight the legislature has on how we can spend the money such as whether we can purchase land or rate of pay for employees, but the WIHA program is not being affected by the current political climate.

Thanks for setting me straight. The impression I had always gotten was the funding was partially done at the state level (ie some of it would come from property taxes/sales taxes paid etc)

So salaries/benefits etc for Wardens- Law Enforcement / Biologists, down to admin is all funded completely through license fees/federal dollars?

(Sorry if I'm side-barring this discussion a bit - looking to learn more on how our KDWPT department works)

Or perhaps is there a document or a site you could point us to that will explain how the funding works/where the dollars come from etc?

I know a lot of us would like to see more wardens/staff hired to get more bodies to run the dept as the distances some wardens need to cover is astronomical, as a resident I just figured your funding was butchered like the rest of the various state level entities due to our states current fiscal crisis.

Thanks for participating again in the forums - nice to be able to connect and feel someone is listening/interacting with us "common folk" ha

Great information there!

As for crowd-sourced review data, that's an interesting idea. KDWPT tried crowd-sourcing fishing reports for several years, but it never really took off. I read them on-and-off for a few years and never gleaned any useful info--nor did I ever have any to contribute. It appears to be gone from the KDWPT website.

Finally, how many of us would provide honest input to the general public about a specific tract--positive or negative? Right or wrong, some view public land hunting (and WIHA counts as public in this context) as a zero-sum game. Any bird "he" shoots is one I can't shoot. I want "him" to keep buying a license, but stay away from my spots.

Every year we see people asking for help on this site. The tone of the ask often determines whether they're ignored, provided with generalities, or chided for their impertinence. Some of us have provided info to these folks and each other privately, but there's very little specific info provided publicly.

Great information there!

As for crowd-sourced review data, that's an interesting idea. KDWPT tried crowd-sourcing fishing reports for several years, but it never really took off. I read them on-and-off for a few years and never gleaned any useful info--nor did I ever have any to contribute. It appears to be gone from the KDWPT website.

As for public reporting I refer you back to the original post 1 - 4 many things that the public would not be aware of in the contracting and or targeted species that would make gleaning useful inforamtion difficult. This would also take away time to enroll new propoeties b/c biologist would be bogged down reviewing comments and determining if it is a problem or not. Our Biologist do report quality during the WIHA survey opening day that gives us some measure of problems that need addressed.

Thank you for weighing in on this and providing such great insight and info for us hunters! I learned so much from your posts.

KDWPT--Thanks again for taking the time to post this information. In addition to my normal eastern Colorado trips from Denver and a trip to SoDak in October, I'll be returning to Kansas after a 3 year absence. I'll be using the WIA properties as a starting point and knocking on doors, too. I'm just starting my research.

KDWPT= I have a big question to ask? If you have had a said piece of ground in for years and then it is removed for some reason, do you guys ever approach the land owner to see why? If it is a good enough spot double down and offer the land owner a little more money/ patrolling to keep open to the public? The reason I ask is a great area 10, 420 acres I believe was removed this year (outfitter from out of state leased it).

I understand a land owner can do as they may with their grounds but has it been discussed on finding solutions to keep this type of thing from happening to all the good ground that is left?

I.E. outfitter permits, Registering their business with the state, maybe even a requirement that since the wildlife is in the trust of the residents of the state making only residency a requirement for an Outfitting permit.

When the L.O. contacts the biologist to cancel the contrat these negotiations begin. Often times we have flexability to offer a higher rate but outfitters are normally able to outbid us on the best propoerties b/c they can add cost to their rates to cover it. Often times L.O. will recieve a flat rate that matches ours + a per animal payment for those harvested off the property.

I believe that I know the property you are referring too in NW KS and this was the exact situation. More money was offered but the outfitter was offering a flat rate + a per animal payment.

There have been many discussings on how to keep landowners enrolled and attract new properties and we have even adjusted and increased payment rates in the last few years. We've also started a long-term lease program on CRP propoerties that pays landowners up front for up to 10 yrs. of a contract so that if they back out they have to pay back the lump sum as a way of discouraging loss of properties.

I can't speak to the requirements for guides or any changes to those requirements but within the wildlife program maintaining these access proporties is of high importance.

Back