Kansas Trespassing Fee for Private Land

For what it's worth...I'm now aware of the ogalalla aquafer.. tons of informative info on it on the web.
Maybe I should contact the governor and have her shut down the pumps....while I've got her on the phone, I'll make sure to get in a word or 2 about the needs of kansas hunters, residents and non-res (me) alike..

Ksnative....you appear well informed and even passionate. I humbly suggest that if you were to back off a wee bit in the lecturing dept, the discussion could stay productive. Otherwise, I see this thread going tits up sooner rather than later.

If you or someone else could provide contact information.i.e., email, phone#, mailing address and the names and titles of the individuals that might? be worth contacting, then I think there a lot of folks looking at this will do as you suggest.
They (and me )just need a little hand holding to get there. It sounds like a fair amount have already fired off an email or 2....so that's a start.
I think more discussion about "who" to contact is important. Not sure the governor is the right focus? Maybe key legislaters that are hunters ? The director of ks Wildlife dept.? Westksbowhunter might have some ideas?
By focusing the individual voices, one might hope to get a roar, not a whisper...agreed?

I would like to think that non resident bird hunters would chime in, provided they had a little more to work with. I.e., whats the plan ?
Despite your stance that this is about fairness to KS residents, it really is about fairness to all who buy a license and want to have at least a shot at some decent public hunting opportunity. What benefits most non resident bird hunters is also going to benefit resident bird hunters..

In the meantime...I wonder how the original poster made out with finding some pay to hunt ground, and if it was any good. Would be nice if he gave us a report....I am curious, because I see things headed more and more in that direction.
Not sure how you got "lecturing" out of any of my posts. From this end of the wire, that comment sounds a bit "preachy""!

I am rather proud that a large number of facts that most viewers apparently had not been aware of have emerged from the various discussions. And I think that over 10k views here suggests a substantial (record, even) level of interest in the topic of Kansas wildlife sales (and who does what to cause it). If only 10 percent of the people who have followed this thread make even a single call (or send a single email) to the Commissioners or, more importantly, to the Governor who they report to - we might begin to see some traction. At the very least, we'd be ahead of where we started.

Not sure I understand your point (beyond the rather obvious attempt to distract from the issue at hand) but yes, the Ogalalla aquifer is problematic. As you surely must know, it is not a Kansas issue - the aquifer stretches from New Mexico, to Nebraska and beyond. Federally regulated (by an organization headed by a Federal political appointee - its on the "Plum List", or used to be). Water levels have been declining for many decades and for multiple reasons, to include irrigation which also gradually increases the salinity of the soil over time. Not so good. On the other hand, it also increases exponentially the number of pheasants in western KS, so be careful what you wish for! Distraction cycle complete.

Please DO cease and desist attempts to distract, diffuse and muddle the issue. Your attempts to derail this effort will not succeed. The viewers here are not your inexperienced college students, eager to accept and please the prof - a bit tougher audience here, than that. You wont be grading their opinions for compliance with your agenda.

Last edited:
Agenda? Wtf?
"Surely you must know" ..... are you this presumptuous in real life?
You are pretty quick to jump anybodys shit if you perceive them to be even a little out of sync with your train of thought.
Go back and look at your response to the poster that suggested the new administration might be helpful/useful to farmers...
Carry on proud cupcake... I've had my fill of you.

KSnative it might be a little easier to like you if you told us something about yourself. For example: Where are you from, what kind of dog do you like, what gun do you shoot, what part of the state do you hunt. Tell us about your most recent hunting trip in kansas.

Last edited:
Goodness... there are now two bowsites....
KBA has a decent pull at the state level - about time someone do something in regards to the Upland birds going down the toilet, much less the access issues caused by zero deer management.

Agenda? Wtf?
"Surely you must know" ..... are you this presumptuous in real life?
You are pretty quick to jump anybodys shit if you perceive them to be even a little out of sync with your train of thought.
Go back and look at your response to the poster that suggested the new administration might be helpful/useful to farmers...
Carry on proud cupcake... I've had my fill of you.
"Cupcake"? Would that be what we call "internet balls"? We can disagree without being discourteous - but yes, I do tend to point out unsupported assertions as such, especially when they are posited as facts.

But here's one for you - your poster was right about one aspect of his speculation. Looks like my soybeans will do very, very well with renewed, unfettered China trade. Downside might be, we'll be planting fence row to fence row again.

Last edited:
With all due respect - I don't doubt for a minute that you have put your shoulder to the wheel long and hard. But how?

I doubt anyone has spoken with the Governor directly to make her aware that this is a serious up/down issue for Kansas voters. Certainly a challenge to get past the palace guard and speak directly with any Governor, anywhere but it can be done. Go to a fund raiser, clear your throat, stand up and speak out.

A weaker, but potentially effective start would be to ask the Commissioners at the next Zoom meeting if the Governor has been made aware that her voting constituents are being hosed, and know it.
With all due respect I did personally face to face talk with Mike Hayden both when governor and then later director. He told me on several occasions that it won’t happen. Well it happened and your Proverbial wheel ran me over.
Moral of my post is don’t trust any political person. They are in it for themselves and their money contributions.

Sadly, history is on your side IRT trusting most politicians, or maybe much of anyone, but what is the "it" that Hayden promised wouldn't happen on several occasions? Have you talked to the current Governor, to point out that deer sales haven't worked out as intended? Hard to argue, at this point, the "it" won't happen (if the "it" was the unfair crowding out of of Kansans).

The kind of ongoing direct access you have, when you aren't even a resident of Kansas, is very hard to come by. It would be a waste not to persist on behalf of the vast majority who lack that kind of political clout. Please don't give up - and let us know what the current Governor has to say about it, just once.

Sadly, history is on your side IRT trusting most politicians, or maybe much of anyone, but what is the "it" that Hayden promised wouldn't happen on several occasions? Have you talked to the current Governor, to point out that deer sales haven't worked out as intended? Hard to argue, at this point, the "it" won't happen (if the "it" was the unfair crowding out of of Kansans).

The kind of ongoing direct access you have, when you aren't even a resident of Kansas, is very hard to come by. It would be a waste not to persist on behalf of the vast majority who lack that kind of political clout. Please don't give up - and let us know what the current Governor has to say about it, just once.
In fairness to Governor Kelly, and with the added benefit of hindsight - I do hope that our fellow traveler "Turtle" will take advantage of the access very few have, to get a read out from the one person who could actually fix this in short order. As mentioned before - odds are, she isn't even aware of the issue or of the unfair treatment of her constituents. It doesn't seem right not to at least give her an opportunity to dismiss us now that we know, unarguable, of the adverse impact this KDWPT policy has had.

What say you, Turtle? Please help.

With all due respect I did personally face to face talk with Mike Hayden both when governor and then later director. He told me on several occasions that it won’t happen. Well it happened and your Proverbial wheel ran me over.
Moral of my post is don’t trust any political person. They are in it for themselves and their money contributions.
Hayden was Governor back in the late 1980s, wasn't he? Could non-residents even apply for a deer tag, bag back then? I didn't think the wholesale outsourcing of Kansas wildlife opportunities began until later. In any event, many decades have passed since, and much experience has accrued.

Can you reach out to Governor Kelly on our behalf? Over 11,000 views of this thread, so far. Interest is high, and you'd be doing a huge number of fellow hunters a tremendous service.

In fairness to Governor Kelly, and with the added benefit of hindsight - I do hope that our fellow traveler "Turtle" will take advantage of the access very few have, to get a read out from the one person who could actually fix this in short order. As mentioned before - odds are, she isn't even aware of the issue or of the unfair treatment of her constituents. It doesn't seem right not to at least give her an opportunity to dismiss us now that we know, unarguable, of the adverse impact this KDWPT policy has had.

What say you, Turtle? Please help.
I have zero contact anymore with anyone with the state. I unfortunately now reside in Missouri. The great governor Haden liked quail hunting and dad had some fine dogs to take him out hunting.
Sorry for not being able to assist anymore.
The big it was about non resident deer hunting. I was against it then and am still against it now. Kansas had great deer hunting in the late 80s through the 90s. I saw the quality going down hill before I had to move in 2000.
Just my opinion

I have zero contact anymore with anyone with the state. I unfortunately now reside in Missouri. The great governor Haden liked quail hunting and dad had some fine dogs to take him out hunting.
Sorry for not being able to assist anymore.
The big it was about non resident deer hunting. I was against it then and am still against it now. Kansas had great deer hunting in the late 80s through the 90s. I saw the quality going down hill before I had to move in 2000.
Just my opinion
Appreciate the great response and think that few, if any, would disagree that Kansas deer quality hasn't prospered from the wholesale export marketing of the resource. Started off as very small number of export tags, but once KDWPT realized how easy - and how unsupervised- self funding through sales of Kansan's deer and other wildlife was - they kept upping the dose until they were fully addicted.

Given the huge number of views here, I believe that every dissatisfied individual here took even small steps to make the Governor aware (and unable to avoid acknowledging that she IS aware) - a good seed will have been planted. Is Kelly accessible? Unlike Hayden, I don't think that she has a "Tell the Governor" program where any Kansas citizen is allowed 5 minutes of conversation directly with the Governor. I doubt that she is indifferent - at least, to the public perception if not the reality.

Appreciate the great response and think that few, if any, would disagree that Kansas deer quality hasn't prospered from the wholesale export marketing of the resource. Started off as very small number of export tags, but once KDWPT realized how easy - and how unsupervised- self funding through sales of Kansan's deer and other wildlife was - they kept upping the dose until they were fully addicted.

Given the huge number of views here, I believe that every dissatisfied individual here took even small steps to make the Governor aware (and unable to avoid acknowledging that she IS aware) - a good seed will have been planted. Is Kelly accessible? Unlike Hayden, I don't think that she has a "Tell the Governor" program where any Kansas citizen is allowed 5 minutes of conversation directly with the Governor. I doubt that she is indifferent - at least, to the public perception if not the reality.

One card, letter, and/or phone call per person who's interests have been unfairly damaged might go a long way. Here's contact information. Input is probably heavily screened and individual expressions probably get a staffer's form letter or equivalent - but high enough volume might, at least, make for an overt awareness of the issue - for the first time.

Office of the Governor​

Capitol, 300 SW 10th Ave., Ste. 241S
Topeka, KS 66612-1590
Toll Free: 877-KSWORKS (877-579-6757)
Local: 785-296-3232
Kansas Relay Service: 800-766-3777

"Fast forward to now - there is only one KDWPT biologist worth the money he's paid and he is able to still get WIHA land enrolled that is quality upland habitat near Wichita - the rest has all went away due to deer leasing and likely biologists who dont give a crap."

I wanted to take a second to address this, as the topic being discussed is extremely near and dear to my heart, and the rest of our Wildlife Division staff. We are constantly having this same discussion, day-in and day-out. When we are out leasing WIHA tracts, don't you think we're running into the same issues that the hunter is, when out searching for a quality property to access? It's a struggle in most parts of the state, given our limited budget. We keep plugging away though, day-in and day-out. I think when most folks view our Wildlife Biologists, from the outside, they see Government Employees. These employees are here because they have the same burning desire for the Kansas hunting heritage as all of you on this Forum. Many of them, like myself, only hunt on WIHA lands, as we've invested so much in the program. When we lose a quality tract due to any of the reasons mentioned on this thread, it truly ruins our day.

If we have an employee who "doesn't give a crap", which is highly unlikely, it is because they are as beat down as all of you in regard to the access issues at-hand in our state.

Thank you so much for your clear passion and respect for the wildlife of Kansas! I assure you, our Biologists are hard at work on securing the next great tract of WIHA.
I appreciate your dedication, a big thanks for everything you do.

I appreciate your dedication, a big thanks for everything you do.
I'm sure most share your sentiment, as I certainly do. But our feelings are fart in a windstorm unless we give the KDWPT field level employees some help getting action, and that requires getting the attention of the senior leadership who can actually correct the rule set. KS governor Kelly is the sole authority who can act effectively, and evidence suggest that she either doesn't care about this bloc of constituents. If so - shame on her. But more likely, she hasn't even been made aware that there is a significant issue here. If so - shame on us.

I'm sure most share your sentiment, as I certainly do. But our feelings are fart in a windstorm unless we give the KDWPT field level employees some help getting action, and that requires getting the attention of the senior leadership who can actually correct the rule set. KS governor Kelly is the sole authority who can act effectively, and evidence suggest that she either doesn't care about this bloc of constituents. If so - shame on her. But more likely, she hasn't even been made aware that there is a significant issue here. If so - shame on us.
Also - I imagine most are aware that the individuals most knowledgeable on these subjects (KDWPT's biologists) are the least able to act on the problem, as it is their chain of command that is calling the shots - the ones with outcomes we all object to (passively, for the most part, it would seem).

One card, letter, and/or phone call per person who's interests have been unfairly damaged might go a long way. Here's contact information. Input is probably heavily screened and individual expressions probably get a staffer's form letter or equivalent - but high enough volume might, at least, make for an overt awareness of the issue - for the first time.

Office of the Governor​

Capitol, 300 SW 10th Ave., Ste. 241S
Topeka, KS 66612-1590
Toll Free: 877-KSWORKS (877-579-6757)
Local: 785-296-3232
Kansas Relay Service: 800-766-3777
Posted below under "Habitat" but it occurs after the fact that it might be a better fit under this thread. Serious suggestion - why would this not work to open up vast acreages to hunting access? Money seems to be the driver (not a complaint, just an observation as to where the hurdles to better hunting access for Kansans lie). So, a zero cost option that provides, at least indirectly, an financial incentive for landowners to open up seems like it should work. Worth a shot?
------------------------------------------------------------------
A thought. Wide consensus that CRP is good for Mother Earth and for bird pops. Also, that at least in Kansas, gaining access to the birds CRP helps bolster is difficult and not getting less so.

So my thought is this. If one accepts CRP funds provided by the taxpayers - shouldn't the taxpayers have access to the birds they support with their wallets?

Serious question and the acreages that would open up for hunting would dwarf the excellent WIHA numbers in short order. Plus, it would spread the hunting pressure out tremendously - a further boon to the birds.

Seems like this would be a zero-cost solution to a significant problem.

Report Edit

Reading the coyote post, I found a solution to the problem. Stock wolves in Kansas, they'll eat all the coyotes, and a lot of the deer. Once the deer are gone leases will dry up, and bird hunting permission will be easier.

Back