Is This a Good First Gun?

HunterChick23

This is going to be my very first gun…EVER! The comments seem very positive. I will have never shot a gun before and my grandpa will be taking me hunting sometime this month (hopefully) for my birthday. I will be going to a hunting range multiple times beofre I actually go hunting. Is this a good first gun? Thanks guys.

Link for gun: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Rossi-Tuffy-Single-Shot-Shotgun/709927.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Drossi%2Btuffy%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=rossi+tuffy&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Bird hunting?...Sorry, no.

My first scattergun was an H&R 20 gauge single shot...Modified.
Shot my first ruffed grouse with it at age 12.....the feathers seemed to fall forever.
I can still see that in my mind 48 years later.

Have Grandpap find you a scattergun that will make the coming experience far more likely to be a positive one and one more respectful to the bird.
I wager you both will enjoy the search.
You do not state your age....I would also wager that you have time to make a better choice....consider taking that time.
Good Luck.
Have Fun.
Find the importance and the enjoyment before and after the shot and you will always be ahead of the game.

Last edited:
I came across a Rossi with a .22 barrel and a 20 gauge smothbore barrel. My girls seems to flinch badly with it. I tried it, it had the worst recoil I have ever seen! I peddled it and found 20 gauge pump guns, with youth stocks, they handled those admirably. 13" stocks, 22" barrel. light weight about 5 1/2#. It's not sporting and it quells the enthusiasm if you can't succeed. Used pumps can be had for around $250.00 and will hold their value later. Remington 870, Winchester 1300, are common and they work.

This is going to be my very first gun…EVER! The comments seem very positive. I will have never shot a gun before and my grandpa will be taking me hunting sometime this month (hopefully) for my birthday. I will be going to a hunting range multiple times beofre I actually go hunting. Is this a good first gun? Thanks guys.

Link for gun: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Rossi-Tuffy-Single-Shot-Shotgun/709927.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Drossi%2Btuffy%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=rossi+tuffy&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Sort answer: NO! In my opinion that would be a very poor choice for a hunting gun. Move up to a 20 ga. A single shot, a pump, or whatever you are comfortable with. You really need to have someone that hunts to help you with this choice. If the recoil is a little stiff with a 20 ga. switch to some low bse target loads. Much better option than a .410.

Find an old 20 guage model 37.

I been through this to the tune of 9 different youth, or marketed youth models. I can tell you, that the long receiver in a model 37 is more than a short-armed girl or woman is comfortable with. Receiver is longer, the pull in the stock is the full 14" or so, and does not fit a woman well. The "new" Ithaca makes a womans model, I have not tried it yet. Reaching the pump is difficult. Nice light weight, I have a Model 37 20ga. Ultralight, weighs 5.75 lbs. Kids cannot handle it well. Did much better with 870's,1300's. Only gun we tried better are the Ithaca Flues guns, which have become my daughters favorite. 26" blls, cyl/full, 20ga. weighs 5.25#, with a light weight dainty stock. My wife went over to a 16 ga. as well. Only competitors, Browning "twenty-weight" 12ga. double automatic, it has the dainty frame as well. Targets do well with Remington 1100-11-87 youth 20ga. But hunting on real world upland shooting, the others are best. On waterfowl they shoot Browning fuison gold 12ga. and use 3# magnum snow goose black cloud. It is surprisingly light recoiling. Save some grief and expense, profit from my research with twins, now fifteen year old 100# girls.

Look into a Remington 870 Express in 20 ga. Very economical first gun. I personally would stay sway from single shots, especially in 410. My first gun was a single shot 410, then I graduated to an 870 Wingmaster, which I still shoot occasionally. A 20 ga. will offer less recoil than a 12 ga. When my oldest son starts hunting in 5 years, I'm going to start him with a youth model 20 ga, probably an 870.

I just bought my 12 year old daughter a Mossberg Super Bantam a few months ago. It came with a 22 inch barrel with 3 choke tubes and a rifled slug barrel. I think it cost 370.00 before tax. She hadn't shot a shotgun before but we took it out the day we got it and she fell in love with it. It's light weight but there isn't much recoil even when shooting slugs and it's accurate. Plus it has a spacer for the stock that you can screw on to lengthen the length of pull as they grow.

no

it's not really practical for target shooting or hunting. the cost of the .410 shells alone make it a deal breaker:eek:. if your looking for somethimg to keep for a long time at a lower cost i'd go with a remington 870 compact they come in matt black or PINK!. i bought one for my son it has a shim kit that extends the stock to an adult length. :10sign:

as mentioned by other a remington 870 in 20 gauge would be a very good first gun to get started with.

Can be used as a single shot until you get comfortable, confident, and familiar with it's use and correct safety handling.

It is also a gun that you can use for a long long time.

I still have mine and I been hunting and shooting for 32 years now.

Good advice offered, and NO on the Rossi. Since you don't yet know if Upland hunting will become a passion, opt for a 20 gauge with a youth stock. Remingtons are good, but I would watch for a good buy on a used Remmie, Winchester, or Mossberg 500 pump. If you fall in love with the pursuit, you can upgrade shotguns in due time. Whatever you do, be safe & enjoy, but be fair to the game you pusue . . . in the hands of a good wingshot, a 410 may be effective, but in the hands of a rookie, you will be disappointed and birds will likely be wounded . . . it is what it is & a hunter's greatest responsibility is in being considerate of the game he/she pursues.

Back