Is anyone getting late season hunting in?

I will be going out on Monday and Tuesday to try and pick up whatever happens to be floating around. This late in the season, I really really do not get hopes up at all. I might carry four shells each day at best. If there is a pen raised bird alive this long since a release, and I miss, he has earned his pass as far as I'm concerned, and I'll finish that walk of the strip and leave that area.

I will be making several trips down to some of the preserves in the coming month or two, so if anyone is game for a meet up, let me know!

Count me in :thumbsup: where do you hunt? I know you mentioned a friend in Bucyrus.

I going quail hunting in SC over Christmas. Can't wait to get Cookie together with my brother- in- laws, 10yr old seasoned English Pointer over a covey. The only thing I am worried about is missing the birds, the jokers are quick :eek:

I'll get with you when i get back. Not sure if posting quail hunting pictures would be kosher on a pheasant forum? :confused:

I think we would be mad if you had pictures but neglected to post them!!! :D there is a section at the top of the forum pages list that is just for quail, but be sure to post it here as well! And I will be hunting in bucyrus the most, but will make trips to other preserves for a meet up.

My setter pup pointed 2 hens and 3 covies of quail in Fayette County last week.

I saw two roosters at .270 range.

The dog work was great.

Ohio bird hunting is really poor.

I have not been out as have been working the new dog on released birds the last 2 weekends. I have killed birds on state ground as late at Christmas day though so there are some options. Hoping to hit one of our farms yet this year that is close to state ground that a buddy heard some roosters cackling while he was bow hunting this year to see if any are still around. Other than that it will probably be all preserve hunts. Anyone wants to meet up and get out let me know. I am close to the two in Bucyrus and not opposed to travelling either for a different location but the cover at these is in excellent condition right now.

Matt

Matt

How's the new pup doing? Any pictures?

Things are going good. We actually had a change of plans and instead of a pup we got a 2 year old male from Ken. Have just been spending time getting to know each other and working through all of that. He is doing great and now that you ask I feel bad I haven't taken any pics in the field with him. Been so concerned with other stuff I haven't thought to snap any. I will make sure I do next time out. Appreciate you asking.

Matt

Well I'm still not sure why, but Mandy and I went out today. We had steady rain, 15-20 mph winds, with 30mph gusts. We walked for three and a half hours total I would say, and only jumped a couple of morning doves which I didn't feel like wasting good shells on. Hopefully the weather is a little better tomorrow: I'm fine with the wind and temperatures, but rain kills me.

Spent a week in South Dakota for Thanksgiving, then hunted our farm last Sunday and harvest 3 birds and then yesterday I manage one more on a Farm in Medina County..hitting public land Wednesday morning Good Luck everyone!

Last Sundays Hunt

Yesterdays Hunt

My setter pup pointed 2 hens and 3 covies of quail in Fayette County last week.

I saw two roosters at .270 range.

The dog work was great.

Ohio bird hunting is really poor​

Reilly, sounds like a good hunt. 3 covey of quail is a bunch. About how many do you think was in each covey?

Spent a week in South Dakota for Thanksgiving, then hunted our farm last Sunday and harvest 3 birds and then yesterday I manage one more on a Farm in Medina County..hitting public land Wednesday morning Good Luck everyone!

Last Sundays Hunt

Yesterdays Hunt

where abouts in medina county? I've hunted all over out there, and have never ran into a wild bird.

Last Sundays Hunt

Yesterdays Hunt

Nice photos, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Too my knowledge all these birds came from a pen. We release hens and roosters on our farm mainly for training in the off season then we may hunt some off the left over roosters throughout hunting season. The farm in Medina County is somewhat close to a hunt club. These birds seem to always find their way to this particular farm which had a pond excellent cover and crop fields. With that said this farmee does see roosters and hens well into late summer on this property , so I guess there is a very very small chance luck may have allowed a wild hatch but a safe bet would be released birds

Too my knowledge all these birds came from a pen. We release hens and roosters on our farm mainly for training in the off season then we may hunt some off the left over roosters throughout hunting season. The farm in Medina County is somewhat close to a hunt club. These birds seem to always find their way to this particular farm which had a pond excellent cover and crop fields. With that said this farmee does see roosters and hens well into late summer on this property , so I guess there is a very very small chance luck may have allowed a wild hatch but a safe bet would be released birds

Well if ya ever have room for another dog and gun, let me know! I'll be more than willing to throw in for some pen birds if it saves me an hour drive!

Reilly, sounds like a good hunt. 3 covey of quail is a bunch. About how many do you think was in each covey?​

Two covies had 12+ birds. The third was actually in Ross County and had 6-7.

I was thrilled.

I hadn't seen that many quail in Ohio since the late 80's.​

South Dakota trip

Originally Posted by Llewellin01 View Post

Lkewellin01
Where did you hunt in SD. Was it a guided hunt? We talked it over during Christmas, and my brother in law and I decided to start looking for a trip. I was looking for a first hand recommendation, since digging through the sea of advertisements on the internet is overwhelming.

Last edited:
Back