Is anyone getting late season hunting in?

Picked my daughter up off the bus and headed out to Elk Ridge. Hit the field at 3:35. Finished up right about 5:00. He put out 5. Had 11-12 flushes and finished with 8 birds all done and said. Hunted the old man first and he just continues to amaze me as his eyesight is really getting bad but just doesn't miss a step with getting birds up in the air. Next was Boucher's turn. He also did very good and continues to put all the pieces together nicely. Then got them both out together to finish up and they did very good together. Here's a couple pics with my daughter and the dogs. First is Copper and second is Boucher.

ndomms.jpg

2reie4z.jpg

My trip to South Carolina was marred by a weeks worth of rain :(
The Saturday before we left we took the youngster out and let them use there Christmas gifts.
Trying to load some pics, but I think they are too large.

Here is a couple of pics from a our quail hunt over Christmas. It rained practically everyday, but we got a break the Saturday before we left. We took the kids out for a few hours and let them get a chance to use their new gear. Dan beat Cookie to all the birds in the field, but I was glad to see her honor his point, that in itself is an improvement. When we were in the woods Cookie was in her zone I was only able to get one picture in the woods and it didn't turn out so well. These are off my phone and I had to send them in lower quality to get them to upload.

View attachment 4841

View attachment 4842

View attachment 4843

Last edited:
Picked my daughter up off the bus and headed out to Elk Ridge. Hit the field at 3:35. Finished up right about 5:00. He put out 5. Had 11-12 flushes and finished with 8 birds all done and said. Hunted the old man first and he just continues to amaze me as his eyesight is really getting bad but just doesn't miss a step with getting birds up in the air. Next was Boucher's turn. He also did very good and continues to put all the pieces together nicely. Then got them both out together to finish up and they did very good together. Here's a couple pics with my daughter and the dogs. First is Copper and second is Boucher.

ndomms.jpg

2reie4z.jpg

That old man never ceases to amaze. Glad the pup is kicking butt too. Are you running either of them for the 2 gun challenge next weekend?

Are you running either of them for the 2 gun challenge next weekend?

I have not decided yet but if I do it will just be Boucher. I have something I am supposed to be at but trying to figure out if I can skip that or not. Are you coming down for it?

Matt,

You're Post kinda ripped at my heart a little bit for different reasons!

Great to see your new pup is working out! :cheers:

Are you happy with his progress?

I have not decided yet but if I do it will just be Boucher. I have something I am supposed to be at but trying to figure out if I can skip that or not. Are you coming down for it?

I was thinking about it pretty hard. Called Dennis and talked to him about it, but I'm not too sure how Mandy would do working the length of the field in under 20 minutes. When we hit the field, we generally work slower, unless I can see we have one in the run, and she knows it too.

Two guys, one dog, and 8 shotshells, four birds placed in the field, 20 minute timer. 10 points for successful dog flush and shot. 5 points for successful hunter flush and shot. Zero points for missed bird/ bird that isn't flushed. Extra points for shells not used and and time remaining after four birds are flushed. At least that's how it was explained to me, might vary slightly.

Matt,

Great to see your new pup is working out! :cheers:

Are you happy with his progress?

Yes I am. I have to be honest, as it has been so long, that I can't say how he compares to Copper at the same age but no complaints at all. He has been very good in all aspects and expect he will continue to hone his skills as he gets older and sees more birds.

What's the 2 gun challenge consist of? I was thinking off trying it out!

I don't know specifically but think it is 4 birds and scored on dog work and effectiveness of shooting in a timed event. Ben might have more details. I wasn't too worried about the details since figured it was just another chance to get the dog on some birds. Give Dennis a call and he can get you all the info.

Made it out this past Saturday, picked up 7 out of 8 birds with my new Stevens 555. Gun shot smooth, Mandy worked her butt off and found two birds I dang near walked over, and had a lot of fun. Video link will be coming soon, but here is a little photo for now.

:coolpics: Tript,
sounds like a great day afield. :thumbsup: I'm hoping to get out next weekend. If everything stays quiet I'll be going to Mulberry Pheasantry near Camden OH.

:coolpics: Tript,
sounds like a great day afield. :thumbsup: I'm hoping to get out next weekend. If everything stays quiet I'll be going to Mulberry Pheasantry near Camden OH.

Any day out in the field is a good day as long as the dogs are having fun. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Made it out with Mandy again this past Monday. Tried out chukars for the first time, and you would swear she had hunted them her whole life- after I helped her dial in on the first one that is. My shooting was the best its been all year: shot 8 shells, 8 birds went in the bag.

Back