Input on reliable, double trigger, auto safety

I think in most cases a 16 weighs less.

The old German model that I own has double triggers and an auto safety which I prefer though the first barrel is a tighter constriction than I prefer for when birds flush in or along side heavy or dense cover.

I agree but in the right hands any gauge (bigger than .410) should be enough gun for pheasants. I use only a 28 & 20ga on pheasants, I'll carry grandpas 12ga once or twice a year for nostalgia but I never feel under gunned with my sub gauges.

Yes....staying within the limits of choice and establishing limits for use.
That was my point.
The issue becomes problematic when someone reads message board suggestions and seeks to use any gauge based solely upon the gauge or another's anecdotes.
Bad juju that.
Otherwise, not much won't work when pattern pastes pheasant.

Just a general question directed at nobody-

Why the desire for auto safeties? Our autoloaders and pumps don't have auto safeties.

I'd sure like one of those Dickinson 16guage, preferrably fixed choke in IC/Mod with double triggers.

Yes for most shooting a 16 gauge is enough but purely from a practical stand point I don't think there is any reason to use one.

Good thing for the 16ga that practical is a word almost never used to describe an upland hunter.:cheers:

OK Time for longtime sxs guru Uncle Buck to weigh in.
My rooster tally is over 30 this year---all shot with a 16 or twenty. What's not practical about carrying a nice, light self pointing under 12 ga. sxs around? With one exception, the 12 ga Uggie I never use, all are auto safety. That's what I am used to and the non-auto 12 makes me nervous. When the gun breaks open, the safety engages. Works for me.

Carry like a 12 hits like 20 is the realistic way of describing a 16 gauge in 2013.

6.5 pound gun thats pretty limited by what you can shoot through it is why I say they aren't practical. If you like them then you should use them but there is no magic involved.

Some guys are hunters, some guys are gun loonies, and some guys are both. I'm sharing my opinion as more of a hunter.

Last edited:
I believe that in field hunting an auto safety provides and extra measure of safety.

This discussion has been around for a long time. I can't stand depending on a mechanical contraption for my safety. As soon as you do, it fails and someone gets hurt. Continually verifying that the safety is on is the only reliable way to be safe. Never learning to check your safety because "it goes on automatically" is an accident waiting to happen.

This discussion has been around for a long time. I can't stand depending on a mechanical contraption for my safety. As soon as you do, it fails and someone gets hurt. Continually verifying that the safety is on is the only reliable way to be safe. Never learning to check your safety because "it goes on automatically" is an accident waiting to happen.

Yes, safety arises best from the individual, not from any patent.

Regarding using 16 gauges for pheasants? A scaled 16 is a delight with which to take roosters. Took a couple wild MN birds just yesterday with a wonderfully slim 16 gauge Belgian OU. Sort of like a Harley, if you have to ask...

:)

Input on reliable double trigger SxS

I've never seen a Dickinson with an auto safety, all three of mine are manual. I'm a big fan of the auto-safety but I know a lot of guys aren't.

AM

You are correct. After checking mine more closely, it has a manual safety. I have not shot it yet and was going by what the guy I bought it from said. Does anyone know what their choke markings mean on the fixed choke guns? Mine has 2 stars stamped on the underside of one barrel and 4 stars stamped on the underside of the other barrel. The seller said it was I.C. and I.M. When I checked it with a choke gauge they measured Mod. and Full? I know the actual choke constriction is the difference between the bore diameter and the inside diameter at the choke area/muzzle.

Last edited:

I still check it auto safety or not. It's a habit. I check constantly while I am walking be it a tang or trigger guard safety.

Back