Input on reliable, double trigger, auto safety

huntsem

I'm looking for input on finding a dependable 12 gauge double with double triggers that has a safety that automatically goes on when the gun is cocked, is relatively light weight, and can accept or be made to accept various chokes. I do have a preference for sxs but would find an over under to be acceptable. I don't have thousands of dollars to spend. Probably something in the used category.

I'd appreciate the input..
Thanks

Last edited:
sxs

hi I used a English side by side late season... 16 gauge 6 pounds, front trigger is ic, second or back trigger full choke. dogs get too far out, on a hard running rooster, my finger goes from front to back trigger , and thumb on safety for quick battery.

easy carry, deadly, and super fast change of choke, far superior to using an OU late season, which is hard to change chokes in an " INSTANT" IMHO.

you might look at hill rod and gun, he imports hand built English guns, boxlocks , he checks them out , warranties condition and barrel safety, and you can buy a hand built gun for the price of a Browning citori....

There are quite a few s x s doubles that will work. The difficulty is ejectors! You didn't say anything about ejectors, so extractors are reliable and easier. Fine handling characteristics are harder to come by. I had a chance to use an turkist gun, I believe was an emperor? Extreme lightweight, had choke tubes, and a lot of value for the bucks, they are new, and should be in your budget. There are quite a few Savage/fox "B" grade guns that are a good value. Lots of good German Simson guns, lots of Eibar made Spanish guns, Aya, Garbi's, Saresquetta, are better value. They are NOT good with steel shot, the Emperor is. I would advise against the Brazilian Rossi, I have never seen one was not a two x four to handle, and left you a cheek welt, like a prize fighter. With all double guns, it is advisable to handle it to see how it fits, there are a lot of variance in doubles depending on manufacturer. If it were me, I would avoid tubes, get Imp. Cyl.-Modified, and call it a day! Shotgun shells can be customized to range, density, etc. My fear is chokes are not always regulated to what you think you are getting, in both pattern and line of sight. You'll shot better. I use old doubles, as do my kids, 5# Ithaca Flues 20ga.'s which again uses 2 1/2 inch shells. guns are definitely in you price range, no tubes, no steel.

I'm looking for input on finding a dependable 12 gauge double with double triggers that has a safety that automatically goes on when the gun is cocked, is relatively light weight, and can accept or be made to accept various chokes. I do have a preference for sxs but would find an over under to be acceptable. I don't have thousands of dollars to spend. Probably something in the used category.

I'd appreciate the input..
Thanks

Idk of any s-x-s that the safety goes on auto, when you open the gun. I maybe wrong but ????? Not with double triggers?????? Enlighten me if I'm wrong. :)

Last edited:
I believe the Russian made Bakial SxS has tubes and the automatic safety. In his price range also. After checking. Yes it does have automatic safety and choke tubes. Now imported by EAA

http://www.gunsinternational.com/BAIKAL-MP210.cfm?gun_id=100330510

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLAON6VlKkU

Does the MP210 come with double-triggers? Pretty impressive price for an ejector gun. Sort of like Olga the Russian street sweeper. Not a beauty (nor lightweight), but does her job well without complaining.

:)

Last edited:
I just bought a used Dickinson that has double triggers and automatic safety. Very nice gun and paid under $1,000.00 for it.

Does the MP210 come with double-triggers? Pretty impressive price for an ejector gun. Sort of like Olga the Russian street sweeper. Not a beauty (nor lightweight), but does her job well without complaining.:)

Sometimes, one simply smiles.

I recall that MM and Trevallion were supposedly chased off by a broom-wielding Olga over there.

I've never seen a Dickinson with an auto safety, all three of mine are manual. I'm a big fan of the auto-safety but I know a lot of guys aren't.

AM

I've never seen a Dickinson with an auto safety, all three of mine are manual. I'm a big fan of the auto-safety but I know a lot of guys aren't.

AM

There is a new Dickinson 16ga SxS on guns international right now listed at 6lbs 6oz while most of these 16's are around the 6lb 10-14oz range. I sent an email to the seller about the gun in question. What do you think? To good to be true? I've looked at a lot of them and never seen one listed as this light.

The LOP on the Dickinsons is to long for me so if I bought one I'd also be looking for a good gunsmith to shorten the stock a bit fo me as well.

Last edited:
I do actually and if I'm going to spend some cash on a new gun I'm going to hold out for one that is exactly what I want.

There is a new Dickinson 16ga SxS on guns international right now listed at 6lbs 6oz while most of these 16's are around the 6lb 10-14oz range. I sent an email to the seller about the gun in question. What do you think? To good to be true? I've looked at a lot of them and never seen one listed as this light.

The LOP on the Dickinsons is to long for me so if I bought one I'd also be looking for a good gunsmith to shorten the stock a bit fo me as well.

Does it have interchangeable choke tubes? If it doesn't it could weigh 6lbs. 6oz. I have heard the newer ones with the choke tubes weigh more.

Is a 16 gauge enough gun for pheasant?
Even with a 12 my dog has to save the day 30 to 50% of the time.
(mostly with bird flushes beyond 30 yds. )

I do own an older German made 16 ga. (Bergmuller & Sohne) that I've considered opening up the
first barrel choke constriction on. It has double triggers and an auto safety.

It's also a pretty light weight gun.

Any recommendations on where I can get that done and what it might cost?

Last edited:
I have a 16b Dickinson with tubes that weighs in at 6lbs 15oz :( and my 12b without tubes weighs 6lbs 8oz. I like the 16 but at almost 7 lbs I don't like carrying it. I even weighed a 20b last weekend that was 6lbs 5oz so in my mind they are sort of on the portly side but that is just my opinion. Otherwise I think they are great guns, especially for the money.

AM

The shooter, the choke, the load, the distance, the conditions and the decision to tap or not all determine whether a gauge is sufficient for pheasant....or insufficient.

The shooter, the choke, the load, the distance, the conditions and the decision to tap or not all determine whether a gauge is sufficient for pheasant....or insufficient.

I agree but in the right hands any gauge (bigger than .410) should be enough gun for pheasants. I use only a 28 & 20ga on pheasants, I'll carry grandpas 12ga once or twice a year for nostalgia but I never feel under gunned with my sub gauges.

Back