Impact of fatigue on shooting

benelli-banger

No epiphany, but my shooting really can go south the longer I’m afield…yesterday was a great example. Shot very well the first hour, ok the hour after that, then all bets were off the last few hours! It was the second full day of hunting, but we did walk 5 miles wed afternoon…11.6 Thursday…ended up at 7 Friday…not huge amounts of physical output, but I’m guessing the cumulative effect was catching up. Not the first time I’ve noticed how different my shooting is early vs late in a full day….a few of my shots early would make my top 25 best ever shots! And a few later would make me totally forget those great shots!😩

I generally am good in the early part of the day, be it early in the trip or later in the trip…just seem to shoot more poorly after several hours of hard walking/hunting…

No epiphany, but my shooting really can go south the longer I’m afield…yesterday was a great example. Shot very well the first hour, ok the hour after that, then all bets were off the last few hours! It was the second full day of hunting, but we did walk 5 miles wed afternoon…11.6 Thursday…ended up at 7 Friday…not huge amounts of physical output, but I’m guessing the cumulative effect was catching up. Not the first time I’ve noticed how different my shooting is early vs late in a full day….a few of my shots early would make my top 25 best ever shots! And a few later would make me totally forget those great shots!😩
I think it makes perfect sense. Your tired even mentally tired possibly. Reflexes slow down, yep makes perfect sense.

11 miles? Jesus!!

I have a new A5 Sweet 16 which weighs a bit less than 6 lbs, So far, I've shot 15 roosters with it this season, with about a month to go, I recently doubled down by purchasing the brand-new Benelli Super Black Eagle in 20 gauge. With a 28 gauge barrel it weighs about 5.8 lbs.

Well I average about 12 miles per day when hunting. Haven't missed a pheasant yet. Last year I was 13 for the first 14 pheasants I shot at. Shooting a gun is about like shooting a basketball. Just easy for me through years of practice. I can walk into the gym any day of the week, and at 56 years old, knock down 80 out of 100 free throws. Patterning your gun and finding the right shell combination plays a big role. One thing I have noticed this year is that I went to a Briley Light Modified tube in my 20 gauge Benelli and I am pulverizing pheasants. I only have a box and half left of the Browning BXD shells so I am concerned when I have to start shooting the Fiocchi Golden Pheasants number 5's however they did pattern well. I will be shooting Hevi Bismuth 5's in Iowa this week and have not patterned them. Won't really do any good since that Bismuth is the only non toxic shot I can find. They are $44 per box here so Goosemaster won't be shooting them.

I have a new A5 Sweet 16 which weighs a bit less than 6 lbs, So far, I've shot 15 roosters with it this season, with about a month to go, I recently doubled down by purchasing the brand-new Benelli Super Black Eagle in 20 gauge. With a 28 gauge barrel it weighs about 5.8 lbs.
I have had the lightening Sweet 16 on order since May. They are expecting a shipment next week.

The lightest shotgun I can find in the 12/16/20 gauges is the Benelli Ultralight 20 ga at 5.2 pounds. I haven't seen any O/U or SA or Pump in any of those gauges that weighs less.

My Benelli M2 20ga/26" is 5.8 empty I believe.

If some maker gets under 5lbs, I'll be happy try that shotgun out. I'm not recoil sensitive :)

Otherwise, I'll stick with the M2 for my lightweight shooter.

The lightest shotgun I can find in the 12/16/20 gauges is the Benelli Ultralight 20 ga at 5.2 pounds. I haven't seen any O/U or SA or Pump in any of those gauges that weighs less.

My Benelli M2 20ga/26" is 5.8 empty I believe.

If some maker gets under 5lbs, I'll be happy try that shotgun out. I'm not recoil sensitive :)

Otherwise, I'll stick with the M2 for my lightweight shooter.
I like my Montefeltro 20 gauge. About as light as the Ultralight plus can carry 5 shells, 26 inch barrel vs 24, and less recoil.

Do you guys not notice these light guns being "whippy" when swinging them? Not sure how best to explain it but I tend to shoot much better with a 7-8 lb gun. This year shooting my citori lightning feather in 16 with it being considerably lighter it just felt too light and was all over the place. Probably way over thinking it but switched from that to 32" barreled 20 gauge CXS Browning and felt more comfortable and shot better for sure.

Tired, wind at my back, dog was tired and seemed more interested in mice, day dreaming he bumps a rooster, didn’t get a shot off…only one I saw up till then. Can’t shoot bad if you don’t shoot right? Uggg

Do you guys not notice these light guns being "whippy" when swinging them? Not sure how best to explain it but I tend to shoot much better with a 7-8 lb gun. This year shooting my citori lightning feather in 16 with it being considerably lighter it just felt too light and was all over the place. Probably way over thinking it but switched from that to 32" barreled 20 gauge CXS Browning and felt more comfortable and shot better for sure.
Yes, got rid of my 20 gauge montefeltro 15 years ago for that reason…my 12 gauge bennelli ultra lite is perfect..,

At first, but like anything you have to give it time. Shooting a couple hundred dove with it helps.

My "new" Sweet 16 A5 doesn't seem whippy in comparison to my much heavier "old" A5. I think the fit is dang near identical (although neither have been professionally fitted/measured). Yet so far, I don't seem to shoot the new one quite as well. (although I've only shot it a tiny fraction as much)

Back