Ice Fishing Pic added

mnmthunting

Banned
Anybody been out? I'm putting the finishing touches on a 6 1/2 foot X 12 wheel house with a 90 degree tip on the tongue. Well insulated.
My own concoction for the wheels. Raised and lowered in seconds. :)
Hope to get her out and fishing this weekend. Plan is to start off spearing Northerns then Walleye angle at dusk and latter.

Also Gills and Crappie. :cheers:

I have everything ready to go, just need bait. Two augers with fresh gas and ran(8" & 10"), 3 portable ice houses, LX-5 all charged up, Aqua-Vu charged up, The frontier is all gassed and ready to go. ....only problem..I been feeling so poor and both my sons are working such long hours. Just hasn't worked out but ya can't say I haven't got the enthusiasm. It's what keeps me going.

Maybe this weekend. 160 mile trip to the Doc on Monday..so that messes up that nice day. Suppose to be in the 30's. Thursday says 41..I'll put it as a target day.

Good Luck MNMT, sounds like your building a dandy house.

Fishings been slow.
Got this 35 incher yesterday. These Winter Northers are very tasty.:)

CA2012Fallandfishpics057_zps261b6ab5.jpg

Fishings been slow.
Got this 35 incher yesterday. These Winter Northers are very tasty.:)

CA2012Fallandfishpics057_zps261b6ab5.jpg

Yes they are, nice eater you got there...I have a pail full of big sucker minnows waiting to be put on a Tip up sitting in the bathroom. I'm going to just sit in the truck. Too cold to set up the house and get the heat on. Punch some holes, put down the tip up and sit in the WARM truck

Onpoint, I've caught a lot of fish on tip ups while sitting with the truck running.

My wheel house is not completely done, I'm going to rubberize the roof, add some trim etc. The inside is being lined with 1/2 X 16 band sawed White Pine. Walls are 1" with high density foam. Ceiling has R 11 fiberglass and vapor barrier. Propane stove is left on low while I'm gone. No hole freeze over and always warm.:thumbsup:
Wheel system works very well.:)

Caught a limit of small crappies late yesterday. :cheers:

I will get some pics.

Was ok yesterday. The biggest perch is 14". The northerns will be pickled. I usually do not eat smallies but he swallowed the hook and my wife will try anykind of fish. I figure a winter smallie will taste better?

Buck, Pickled Northern You say:) That is some REALLY fine eating.
Whats Your recipe?

That's a nice batch of fish by the way.:thumbsup:
Any of these fish make good pickled fish. I've done Crappie, Bluegill, Walleye, Perch.
I've tried sucker and Red Horse,:( That's not so good. Gotta smoke em.:thumbsup:

I am going up to Minnesota, just north of Park Rapids this summer, family reunion. We like it there. I am jealous we we don't really have pike and ice fishing, no ruffed grouse, all the good stuff is up north!

I am going up to Minnesota, just north of Park Rapids this summer, family reunion. We like it there. I am jealous we we don't really have pike and ice fishing, no ruffed grouse, all the good stuff is up north!

My ranch is 10 miles from Park Rapids. I sit right where the woods meets the prairie. :thumbsup:

Buck, Pickled Northern You say:) That is some REALLY fine eating.
Whats Your recipe?

That's a nice batch of fish by the way.:thumbsup:
Any of these fish make good pickled fish. I've done Crappie, Bluegill, Walleye, Perch.
I've tried sucker and Red Horse,:( That's not so good. Gotta smoke em.:thumbsup:

Here's the best pickled fish recipe there is

You asked for it, So here goes. This is my moms recipe, and its good stuff. Sometimes I add a little more white wine in place of some of the vinegar. Its a trial and error thing depending on your tastes.

LAYER CLEAN CHUNKED FISH IN LARGE CLEAN JAR. (I usually use a very large stainlees steel bowl) CHUNKS OR STRIPS SHOULD ONLY BE ABOUT 1 1/2 INCHES WIDE. SPRINKLE EACH LAYER OF FISH WITH CANNING SALT. WHEN ALL FISH ARE SALTED REFRIGERATE FOR 1 WEEK. "TOSS" THE FISH EVERY FEW DAYS TO MAKE SURE ALL IS COVERED WITH THE SALT, IT WILL MAKE A LIQUID BRINE AFTER A FEW DAYS.

AT END OF 1 WEEK RINSE THE FISH OFF IN COLD WATER, REALLY REALLY WELL, UNTIL ALL OF THE SALT IS RINSED OFF. YOU CAN SOAK FOR A SHORT TIME AFTER YOU THINK ALL SALT IS OFF TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE SALT FREE.

LAYER FISH AND SLICED ONIONS IN LARGE CLEAN JAR, GLASS WORKS BEST.(You can also add a jalepeno pepper or two if you like a little zip to them.)

BOIL 1 QUART OF WHITE VINEGAR, APPROX. 2 CUPS WHITE SUGAR (LESS IF YOU DON'T LIKE SWEET PICKLED FISH), PUT 5-6 TABLES SpoonS OF PICKLING SPICE IN CHEESECLOTH BAG OR USE A CLEAN KNEE HIGH STOCKING AND KNOT THE TOP. BOIL THE BAG OF SPICES FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES SO SPICES GET DISTRIBUTED IN THE JUICE. AFTER BOILING ADD 1, 2 CUPS OF WHITE WINE AND POUR OVER FISH. MAKE SURE THE LIQUID MIXTURE COVERS THE FISH COMPLETELY. REFRIGERATE FOR AT LEAST 1 WEEK, (I usually leave it for two weeks) I LIKE TO TIP THE JAR UPSIDE DOWN AFTER 1 WEEK.

If you use suckers, sheephead, northerns or other boney fish, the vinegar disolves the bones, so don't worry about trying to cut them out ahead of time.

Onpoint, Your recipe is about the same as mine.
I soak pieces in pickling salt (enough to float an egg) for 48 hours.
Rinsed very well, then into vinegar for another couple days, then rinsed again.
I then do the white wine and vinegar boiled with the spices. Let it cool down before I put the fish pieces in.
Put back in the fridge for a few more days. ( I'm usually at em a bit early):)
I got me a couple little Northerns, they'all go in the brine today.:cheers:

Re pickling--Do you find the pre salting and boiling make a lot of difference? Re recipes the ingrediants don't vary much , but process does.

Buck, I'm not an expert in this area.
I'm thinking the pickling salt cures, it does make the fish more firm. Preserves for sure, and is recommended in all smoking and curing of meats.
Safety measure I think.
If You make a small amount and eat it out of the fridge before a couple weeks or so. seems to me it would be fine.
I'm curing a batch that will be about 8 pints. With the salt cure I can put the lids on and refrigerate it just about indefinitely, Never lasts all that long though.:cheers:
It's like the worlds most perfect food.:)
I forgot to say, in my recipe, I boil a good bit of onion slices with the spices to add into the pieces of fish.

Good eating ALL.:thumbsup:

Very nice!!!! Got me dreaming of Beer battered Walleye chunks now!!!! :thumbsup::cheers:

Back