IC CHOKE

Interesting post Goose.

A specific choke may not be a "one size fits all" here though. Its dependent on what kind of shotgun, ammo, and the typical range you are taking shots at. For me, the IC is the most productive because I use high velocity lead ammo and most of my shots are at birds on private land within 30 yards. They don't wise up as quick as highly pressured public land birds do.

I use:
skeet tubes for blue grouse
Skeet/IC for Sage grouse, early chickens, and first couple of weeks of pheasant.
IC/IC until last few weeks of season
LM/LM for the last few weeks of season

I agree with Goose as 90% of my shooting is done with IC

Interesting post Goose.

A specific choke may not be a "one size fits all" here though. Its dependent on what kind of shotgun, ammo, and the typical range you are taking shots at. For me, the IC is the most productive because I use high velocity lead ammo and most of my shots are at birds on private land within 30 yards. They don't wise up as quick as highly pressured public land birds do.
That's a good point, private land birds are not as spooky.

That's a good point, private land birds are not as spooky.
After you hunt them a few times, they get spooky. But that doesn't occur until about Thanksgiving for me. Public land birds wise up in a week or two. Part of my strategy every season is to not "over hunt" any spots.

Another thing to think about is the actual measurement of your choke. Just because it is marked IC doesn't mean that's what you get. I have a Dickinson SxS that measures .003-.005 tighter than standard for every choke. The Cyl tube is .005 constriction, actually a tight Sk 1, the IC tube is .011, actually Sk 2, Mod is .0185 which is closer to IMP Mod than Mod.
With heavy #5 loads this gun patterns even tighter than the constrictions would project.

Another thing to think about is the actual measurement of your choke. Just because it is marked IC doesn't mean that's what you get. I have a Dickinson SxS that measures .003-.005 tighter than standard for every choke. The Cyl tube is .005 constriction, actually a tight Sk 1, the IC tube is .011, actually Sk 2, Mod is .0185 which is closer to IMP Mod than Mod.
With heavy #5 loads this gun patterns even tighter than the constrictions would project.

Are you sure that the cylinder has choke? Is it tapered or straight?

American standard bore diameter is 0.729" for 12 gauge. Italian guns are usually 0.005" smaller or 0.724".

Dickinson shotguns are made by Huglu in Turkey. Many Turkish shotguns are modeled after Italian designs.

Dickinson is made by Akus in Turkey. I'm a retired machinist and CNC Programmer so I know my way around measuring tools. These measurements were taken with multiple trials using a telescope gage and precision micrometer.
The bores measure .6675
The Cyl tube measures .6625, .005 constriction. Sk 1 std in 16 ga according to the chart I have is .004. Sk2=.010
I/C tube .656, .0115 constriction, std is .007
mod tube .649, .0185 constriction, std is .015
I/M tube .6405, .027 constriction, std is .020
Full tube .633, .0345 constriction, std is .028

I typically run the I/C- Modified tubes when hunting wild pheasants with home loaded 1 1/8 oz 5s Kind of a light Mod/ heavy Mod combo

Dickinson is made by Akus in Turkey. I'm a retired machinist and CNC Programmer so I know my way around measuring tools. These measurements were taken with multiple trials using a telescope gage and precision micrometer.
The bores measure .6675
The Cyl tube measures .6625, .005 constriction. Sk 1 std in 16 ga according to the chart I have is .004. Sk2=.010
I/C tube .656, .0115 constriction, std is .007
mod tube .649, .0185 constriction, std is .015
I/M tube .6405, .027 constriction, std is .020
Full tube .633, .0345 constriction, std is .028

I typically run the I/C- Modified tubes when hunting wild pheasants with home loaded 1 1/8 oz 5s Kind of a light Mod/ heavy Mod combo

Why does a tube labeled "cyl" have any constriction?

No idea. I remember a statement by I think Jack O'Connor a few decades ago that said true cylinder chokes tended to give a donut pattern, light coverage in the center. Said a couple thousandths constriction made a more even pattern.
I have seen posts by other Dickinson owners that their chokes patterned tight, so I don't think it was an accident.

I think Jack, rest his soul, has been up dated by modern writers. See Tom Roster, He did however never lose his love for his beloved 270 .

No idea. I remember a statement by I think Jack O'Connor a few decades ago that said true cylinder chokes tended to give a donut pattern, light coverage in the center. Said a couple thousandths constriction made a more even pattern.
I have seen posts by other Dickinson owners that their chokes patterned tight, so I don't think it was an accident.

I wonder if the donut pattern with cylinder chokes was a thing back when shotshells were loaded with fiber wads.

I have two guns with cylinders barrels that I use for skeet with both lead and steel shot and for doves and ruffed grouse.

I have done some patterning with both guns. All patterns are rather even with some center density.

Imo, IC is the best choke for pheasant.
Sure, IF you live in phez land and can go any time you want with lots and lots of shots a year. I would much rather wait and take the high percentage shot. But I only hunt wild birds a week or two a year and sometimes might only have a handful of shots a year. I'll shoot full and extra full. Over a point I'll try and plant my feet, take a breath pull up and shoot. Wild flushes are all instinct.

I shoot hundreds of rounds per season. I like to open up with the 1187, lead 1 1-4 oz. 4 shot. 12 dollars a box. IC,28 inch barrel.

Sure, IF you live in phez land and can go any time you want with lots and lots of shots a year. I would much rather wait and take the high percentage shot. But I only hunt wild birds a week or two a year and sometimes might only have a handful of shots a year. I'll shoot full and extra full. Over a point I'll try and plant my feet, take a breath pull up and shoot. Wild flushes are all instinct.
I hardly ever shoot anything but mod. Maybe improved every couple years on in your face doves over a mojo.
I shoot 3shot through a mod at steel shot quail and drop just as many. We do have to track a few ,probably a third of them, it’s good for the dog it teaches them to tighten up their search.
May switch to improved mod and 5’s on chickens pulled some feathers and dropped a leg on one yesterday. Never had that happen before they usually have no will to live.

Up until about 2-3 years ago I shot skeet (aftermarket tube) out of my Benelli 12 gauge with #5 lead ALL season in SD, and I hunt a lot in Dec/Jan…hevi metal #3 when no -tox was needed. Killed well over 100 every year for decades…only reason I now shoot IC is that I’ve been using a BUL…using factory tube. I did buy a LM tube for my montefeltro about 8 years ago, used it a few times…I like more open chokes…lots of birds shot in cattails are close, for me at least.

I hardly ever shoot anything but mod. Maybe improved every couple years on in your face doves over a mojo.
I shoot 3shot through a mod at steel shot quail and drop just as many. We do have to track a few ,probably a third of them, it’s good for the dog it teaches them to tighten up their search.
May switch to improved mod and 5’s on chickens pulled some feathers and dropped a leg on one yesterday. Never had that happen before they usually have no will to live.
I have pounded chickens and had them still keep going. Shot one a few years ago that dropped both legs and dropped a 1/4 mile away in a winter wheat field. Old males can be tough birds and don’t really get much credit for being that way.
My best patterning 1-1/4oz load flies at 1220fps. Early season I run nickel #7-1/2’s and at the start of pheasant season I run #5’s all from IC chokes

I shoot 1000's of shells a year at targets of varying distances. I would suggest discussing pattern densities specific distances instead of chokes. Chokes vary and patterns vary with load & shot size combination. An IC could throw a 50% pattern with one shell and a 25% pattern with another. One size doesn't fit all. But that requires some work.

Why does a tube labeled "cyl" have any constriction?
I believe a true 16 gauge bore is 0.662" or 0.663". If that's correct, then ole_270's Dickinson is just slightly overbored/backbored at 0.6675". Which would mean his 0.6625" choke tube is truly CYL. Overboring has become more popular, along with lengthened forcing cones (leading from chamber to bore). I believe the theory is that it helps improve patterns, particularly as the use of large steel shot has become more prevalent. I think.

But...I also think choke designations are supposed to be determined simply by the amount of constriction relative to the bore diameter. In that case, ole's CYL tube should actually be SKEET. So I don't know what's going on there.

Last edited:
Back