IC CHOKE

I believe a true 16 gauge bore is 0.662" or 0.663". If that's correct, then ole_270's Dickinson is just slightly overbored/backbored at 0.6675". Which would mean his 0.6625" choke tube is truly CYL. Overboring has become more popular, along with lengthened forcing cones (leading from chamber to bore). I believe the theory is that it helps improve patterns, particularly as the use of large steel shot has become more prevalent. I think.
What does overboring accomplish...same as a spreader load?

Interesting post Goose.

A specific choke may not be a "one size fits all" here though. Its dependent on what kind of shotgun, ammo, and the typical range you are taking shots at. For me, the IC is the most productive because I use high velocity lead ammo and most of my shots are at birds on private land within 30 yards. They don't wise up as quick as highly pressured public land birds do.
Definitely agree. Started years ago with I/C choke. While I took birds down hunting behind my springer I found I was chasing down a fair amount of wounded birds. Over the years I’ve changed as I became a better shot to modified in my 12 ga. and improved mod or full in my 20 ga. Of course this is with lead.

But I only hunt wild birds a week or two a year and sometimes might only have a handful of shots a year.
This is where I lean more towards as well. Colorado doesn't have amazing pheasant hunting and when you sometimes only get a single shot for a full day hunting, I often would rather get it and risk tearing it up than not getting it at all. Definitely have been getting better and can go down in choke but I normally run a tad heavy like ic/im or mod/full in the over under.

While I use an I/C in my Winchester SX4 12 gauge when using steel shot I’ve typically run a modified or improved modified in the field behind my springer spaniels. Typical flushing distances are a bit longer. Running lead shot (Fiocchi nicjpkel plated lead) on wild birds I’ve had great success with the modified. This year I purchased a 20 ga SX4 and found the choke constriction was .003 - .005 larger than anticipated. after patterning the shotgun I determined a modified for steel and full for lead was the optimal pattern. Actually shoot almost as well with the 20.
if you haven’t done so- take the time to pattern any shotgun you use with the shot brand, type, and size you intend to hunt with. You may be surprised.

After you hunt them a few times, they get spooky. But that doesn't occur until about Thanksgiving for me. Public land birds wise up in a week or two. Part of my strategy every season is to not "over hunt" any spots.
I agree.Last year I could have shot 3 roosters a few times, but I stopped at 2 birds. Taking 3 is excessive on some ranches, and you have to leave birds for seed.

This is where I lean more towards as well. Colorado doesn't have amazing pheasant hunting and when you sometimes only get a single shot for a full day hunting, I often would rather get it and risk tearing it up than not getting it at all. Definitely have been getting better and can go down in choke but I normally run a tad heavy like ic/im or mod/full in the over under.
Try Ic and full.

Try Ic and full.
I've run that combo before. Double triggers come in very handy for it. I can choose what trigger I want pretty quick but cannot flip a switch on a safety fast. I only have one gun with screw in chokes and double triggers and it's not one of my favorites.

I like DT for that reason, and having more constriction than is normal between chokes makes some sense; I have a Parker Repro 28 gauge that will be opened to about .009/.021 or thereabouts…but IC/IM or IC/LF or IC/F is a nice choke combo, IMO

Definitely agree. Started years ago with I/C choke. While I took birds down hunting behind my springer I found I was chasing down a fair amount of wounded birds. Over the years I’ve changed as I became a better shot to modified in my 12 ga. and improved mod or full in my 20 ga. Of course this is with lead.
I only shoot lead. Very rarely cheap steel.

I only shoot lead. Very rarely cheap steel.
Lol. I wish steel was cheap. Not so much anymore. Retired and fixed income- bismuth is not in my budget. I would love to use lead for the rest of my life but our state has gone non-toxic on all state properties. Still plenty of areas allowing lead and I absolutely use it when possible.
just takes a bit of knowledge about chokes and shot sizes depending on where you hunt.

Lol. I wish steel was cheap. Not so much anymore. Retired and fixed income- bismuth is not in my budget. I would love to use lead for the rest of my life but our state has gone non-toxic on all state properties. Still plenty of areas allowing lead and I absolutely use it when possible.
just takes a bit of knowledge about chokes and shot sizes depending on where you hunt.
Ok. 15 dollars a box steel.Shoot number 3.Dont spend money on that expensive crap.

Ok. 15 dollars a box steel.Shoot number 3.Dont spend money on that expensive crap.
Nope. Not where I’m at in Washington state. Can’t hardly find anything under 25 bucks a box. If you do it typically isn’t hunting loads- well maybe dove loads 7 1/2.

Nope. Not where I’m at in Washington state. Can’t hardly find anything under 25 bucks a box. If you do it typically isn’t hunting loads- well maybe dove loads 7 1/2.
Yes, ammunition is way up, as well as fuel.I stocked up on amo about 5 years ago, and I'm glad I did!

I saw a box of bismuth rounds at Cabela's yesterday that was 65 bucks. FOR ONE box of 25 rounds. To no surprise, the shelf was completely full because no one in their right mind would pay that.
Ya, I turkey hunt as well. You think bismuth is expensive. TSS (tungsten) will definitely take whatever extra funds you have. Thankfully, I probably shoot 1 or 2 rounds a year at around 8+ bucks a round. thankful they come in 5 and 10 round boxes.
Will say the stuff is awesome at taking down turkeys and they are even using #9 shot now. They say iit kills up to 70 yards. I’m nit likely to ever take that kind of shot but the stuff is pretty amazing.
for as long as I can I will continue to shoot lead, copper plated lead, or nickel plated lead on pheasants and whatever else flies. Steel, and some copper plated steel on wildlife management areas requiring nontoxic.

Back