I want to Hunt Huns

I went on my first pheasant hunt this past Fall (Thanks Hockeybob) and can't wait to do it again. It had been many years since I had hunted upland birds other than doves and now it's all I can think about. I would really like to hunt Huns, but not sure the best places to look. I live in South Carolina so that drive is going to be far no matter what. Are their really strong populations in North Dakota or would I need to travel to Montana?

Thanks,

Dan

There are some in areas of ND. But I have only hunted them in MT.
But they are awesome. Quail on steroids. :thumbsup:

Something I've been wanting to try as well. Maybe I could swap some local knowledge help guide on KS Quail, pheasants, prairie chickens or white tail/mule deer.

Sage Grouse are also on my list.

Everything I have studied Montana is the strong hold for Huns , I was there in 08 and we hunted the pheasant opener through the week with the intention of hunting Huns in combination with pheasant . We wound up limiting almost every day on pheasants shot a fair number of sharptails . The Huns eluded us until we bumped a nice covey on the edge of a wheat field . We were in the process of figuring the Huns out when we had to return home .

Huns are widely scattered but the central part of the state is where I have heard more than once of good numbers .

I would likely hire a guide or do a swap hunt as mentioned and have a local put you on birds the first couple days of your trip .

Last edited:
There are some in areas of ND. But I have only hunted them in MT.
But they are awesome. Quail on steroids. :thumbsup:

They're fun but hey are THE SPOOKIEST bird I've ever hunted. At first I thought sharp-tails were, but then I got into Huns and they proved me wrong.

Can't help you with what state is best since I've only hunted them in Montana but Huns can make a guy forget about pheasants for a couple days.

They are everything everyone says they are.

I have made two trips to MT. We have been going before pheasant season opens and focused on Sharptail. But we have shot Huns and Sage Grouse as well.

Huns did hold for the dogs as longs as they pointed at a fair distance.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it could be very hard to find them and that would be disappointing after driving 2000 miles. I may very well hire a guide to do this.

Something I've been wanting to try as well. Maybe I could swap some local knowledge help guide on KS Quail, pheasants, prairie chickens or white tail/mule deer.

Sage Grouse are also on my list.

Me too! I would be happy to swap out guide service. Would take/guide someone on quail, pheasant, turkey, or deer if I got a chance to hunt huns, grouse, never have seen a prairie chicken either in all my years of going to Kansas. So they are on my bucket list too!

Me too! I would be happy to swap out guide service. Would take/guide someone on quail, pheasant, turkey, or deer if I got a chance to hunt huns, grouse, never have seen a prairie chicken either in all my years of going to Kansas. So they are on my bucket list too!

Do you have pointing dogs?

Huns are quail on speed....only encountered them a couple of times in sw Iowa and ne Nebraka. Have only killed a few, will say first covey we did put up I shot a double, I was much younger then.

I would swap a hunt/fish trip for a Hun hunt, but I doubt many westerners would come to my neck of the woods to hunt when Minnesota and Wisconsin is along the way.

Huns in Montana

Hun hunting in Montana is something I don't do, as I run flushing dogs.... pointers who cover lots of ground would be a better solution.

IMO, based on friends who chase them, virtually anywhere east of the Rockies in Montana or 2/3 of the state can and do hold Huns. I hear this was a great year.
it may speed up your process to hire a guide for 2-3 days, and I would be happy off line to recommend a couple of bird hunting outfitters. But we have literally tens of thousand of acres of " block management" that is public hunting in the state.

I would concentrate north and west of Great Falls, for my first trip out here to try huns. Call the Mt. fish and Game office there, and they can get you pointed in the general direction....

access for Hun hunting is not nearly as difficult as getting pheasant access, and they occupy a bit different habitat....
Ben O Williams is a good author to learn Huns , hunting, and great dog stories! Good Luck

I also would suggest Ben O Williams book , it gives good in-site on Huns and there habits . Title his Huns and Huns Hunting good stuff

Hi, Huns in ND are more or less a bonus birds when your out after grouse or pheasants. I don't know of anyone who goes out just for huns. The population is making a bit of a come back, but the numbers are not that strong. To be honest, I think MT would be a much better choice than ND. We have had a couple of nicer winters that have helped, but we need a couple more and good spring weather for the hatch. This year I think I shot only 4 huns, all while hunting grouse or pheasants. Did see more coveys than last year, but not IMO not enough to make a special trip here.

As I said, I think MT would be the best choice.

Good Luck!!!!

Greg

Back