I just couldn't do it...........

Husker

I tried, I tried real hard... Spent all day Saturday catching up on my "honey do" list, got my garage clean, snowblower serviced and did my best to keep busy and my mind off "it". Sunday we went to church, out for lunch and then home. It took about an hour before my Wife screamed, "get your dogs and boys loaded and get the hell out of here would you"! She didn't need to say it twice!

Got there about 3:30, the truck temp said 54, we went down by Parker to a friends small layout. Who would have thought we'd be hunting in short sleeves on Dec.18th in South Dakota? Anyway, a short hunt and we put up about a dozen hens and a few roosters but only one within range. It would have been a perfect afternoon if we wouldn't have seen a bird!

2011-12-18_16-03-57_823.jpg

The one rooster we got, happen to get up in the worst spot. I only had one shot opportunity because of the buildings around and I didn't make the best shot. He went about 100 yards wounded and landed on a 20 foot high shop! The dogs didn't know what to do! He did finely flop enough to slide down after about 5 minutes... Boy did the boys think that was funny!

2011-12-18_15-19-41_656.jpg

Last edited:
Husker,
Great post, we get so hung up on.... we shot 24 birds...... we limited out in an hour......... we slayed them today...... Thanks for the reminder, it's all about spending time with good people, loved ones and good Dogs and leaving with great memories. I see fifty years from now your sons talking about" the time pop took us hunting", what a great Christmas post even at 52 degrees :cheers:
Duke

Last edited:
I tried, I tried real hard... Spent all day Saturday catching up on my "honey do" list, got my garage clean, snowblower serviced and did my best to keep busy and my mind off "it". Sunday we went to church, out for lunch and then home. It took about an hour before my Wife screamed, "get your dogs and boys loaded and get the hell out of here would you"! She didn't need to say it twice!

Got there about 3:30, the truck temp said 54, we went down by Parker to a friends small layout. Who would have thought we'd be hunting in short sleeves on Dec.18th in South Dakota? Anyway, a short hunt and we put up about a dozen hens and a few roosters but only one within range. It would have been a perfect afternoon if we wouldn't have seen a bird!

2011-12-18_16-03-57_823.jpg

The one rooster we got, happen to get up in the worst spot. I only had one shot opportunity because of the buildings around and I didn't make the best shot. He went about 100 yards wounded and landed on a 20 foot high shop! The dogs didn't know what to do! He did finely flop enough to slide down after about 5 minutes... Boy did boys think that was funny!

2011-12-18_15-19-41_656.jpg

lol great pic reminds me one time when dad waqs around and when iowa was great i shot one and it fell inside a barn lol thx for that pic of reminding me of me and my dad my gosh it put tears in my eyes of how much i miss him i can remember me and him laughing bout that lol thanks bryan

Husker,

Great to see the youngsters out. It will be a great tradition to repeat each and every year. Hayduke is absolutley right on his comments! Great Job Dad
:coolpics:

Thanks guys!

Hey OKIEgunner, I don't think your to far from Altus are you? I've got an Uncle that lives there that comes up pheasant hunting a few times a year and I get down there to fish every couple years. Nice area!

Steve

Looked at the 10-day weather forecast for eastern South Dakota...44 and sunny the day after Christmas. Wish I was back there I would hunt for a couple of hours, find a nice cut hay field, turn on some tunes, cook some shrimp and pineapple on the barbie and drink a coupe if margaritas on the rocks. Remindes me of hunting near Hayti on Christmas Day in 2006, just me the two dogs hunting in a short sleaved shirt and not another person or vehicle all day.

Having a few short "skirts" around would be a nice addition. From my experience most of the women in that counry wear Carhartt overalls with a wad of Levi Garrett in their cheek. In response to the picture above with the rooster sitting on the metal roof, I saw two roosters perched high on a powerline near Lemmon on my way back through SD. Strange.

Back