I can't feel my fingers!

beach004

I hope this is an appropriate place for this question. Every year, I go for a week in late November to South Dakota, after pheasants. Some years it's shirtsleeves, some years it's coveralls; I generally can get comfortable from head to toe--with the grating exception of hands. Partly it's my age (80 next month); but whatever, it's really handicapping my hunting. We generally don't have a dog, so I must be ready to shoot on little if any notice. The gloves I have tried leave my fingers totally numb. I've tried wearing mittens that can be pulled back to let fingers out; but when do I pull them back? Hand warmers in the mittens--what good is it to have the back of my hand be slightly warm?? If I keep my hand in my pocket, it gets warmer--it also gets a lot slower to get my gun to my shoulder.

I don't have an answer; have any of you found a good solution? Cost is not much of an object, if I can solve this problem.

Tape a couple of hand warmers over the top of your hand on your knuckles or just drop them in the gloves, that really seems to make a difference. I also try and start each hunt with very warm gloves - I'll throw them up on the dash and crank the defrost for 5 minutes before starting to hunt, that seems to help as well as keeping them dry.

Some days, it just doesn't seem like there's a whole lot you can do other than get walking and let them warm up once your blood gets flowing. Other than on a wet and windy day, I rarely have any issues with cold fingers after half an hour of walking.

Tape a couple of hand warmers over the top of your hand on your knuckles or just drop them in the gloves, that really seems to make a difference. I also try and start each hunt with very warm gloves - I'll throw them up on the dash and crank the defrost for 5 minutes before starting to hunt, that seems to help as well as keeping them dry.

Some days, it just doesn't seem like there's a whole lot you can do other than get walking and let them warm up once your blood gets flowing. Other than on a wet and windy day, I rarely have any issues with cold fingers after half an hour of walking.
Also, on really cold days, it looks ridiculous, but I'lll get out of the truck and start doing jumping jacks or moving around a bunch for 5-10 minutes to really get the blood flowing before starting to hunt.

Beach,

Have had the same issue for years (85) and counting...

On the left hand, I wear a lined mitten with a heat warmer, in between the layers, on the back side.

On the right hand, I wear a heated liner with an inexpensive knit glove on top. This works! I'll try and find the brand and send it along; they don't print their Co. name on the glove...

I will wear deer skin gloves along with a hunting muff that waterfowl hunters use, until my hands warm up. The muff has shell loops and I’ll alternate putting a gloved hand in the muff. Works well for me. Mine is a Browning from Sierra Trading Post.

Here's the info/name of the glove: Action Heat - $99 on line...I've tried other battery gloves and they are too cumbersome, especially the trigger finger. I did spend a lot of time looking for a top-layer glove and found a pair that stretch over the glove liner.

Stay warm!
Can you tell me which model you are using? There seem to be dozens at all sorts of prices. I want to hear from someone like you who uses them as I would, for pheasant hunting.

I got a fishing buddy and he does like said above, handwarmers on his wrist. He tapes them to the underside of his wrist where all the blood flows, says it works for him. I'll try it Saturday and see how it goes. My hands are always cold for the first half hour or so and it sucks.

I got a fishing buddy and he does like said above, handwarmers on his wrist. He tapes them to the underside of his wrist where all the blood flows, says it works for him. I'll try it Saturday and see how it goes. My hands are always cold for the first half hour or so and it sucks.
Let yus know how it works.

Can you tell me which model you are using? There seem to be dozens at all sorts of prices. I want to hear from someone like you who uses them as I would, for pheasant hunting.
I misled you regards the brand...mine are "Savior Heat"...Amazon...I believe they are on sale now.

I have the same problem as my fingers have been frozen so many times I have some damage. I wear an old style wool chopper liner with hand warmers. I can feel the safety and trigger and just shoot with it on. Never notice it now. I leave the hand warmers free so I can curl my trigger finger around it occasionally and flip it from the top to my palm. Wind will blow through so I had the wife sew a fleece patch on top of finger area but not on the palm side. Only downside for me is wool will get wet put if its a wet snow it is usually not cold enough to wear them.
Good luck and awesome you are still chasing them!

What kind of temps are we talking about here? Like single digits or below zero with the wind howling?
It doesn't really matter. Could be 34 degrees, could be 4 degrees. Wind and sun obviously have a big effect on it. My buddy has it the same as me, let's say we go out hunting it's 20 degrees and cloudy with a little wind. Hands get cold/numb and there is pain. 20-30 minutes into the hunt it is gone for the day.

Hunted SD in November...temps one day were 15 deg. with 40 mph wind. Used my heated glove system, with heat packets and hands remained warm. Will try taping the packets on the wrists, over my shirt...

I have the same problem keeping my fingers warm and I am south of 60. I wear these (in the link below), water & wind proof. These work for me, down to mid 20s. Below that I wear the ones with a flip top AND full fingers with an additional liner inside. The liners I usually wear have a pocket on top of the hand for the heaters (the flip-top ones also have a heater pocket in the flip-top). This is great on the left hand, but maybe not much better on the shooting hand, as I don't use the mitten top on my shooting hand. I now think I might try the gloves in the link on a colder morning, they have a somewhat long wrist-band that might hold a heater there!

I have the same problem keeping my fingers warm and I am south of 60. I wear these (in the link below), water & wind proof. These work for me, down to mid 20s. Below that I wear the ones with a flip top AND full fingers with an additional liner inside. The liners I usually wear have a pocket on top of the hand for the heaters (the flip-top ones also have a heater pocket in the flip-top). This is great on the left hand, but maybe not much better on the shooting hand, as I don't use the mitten top on my shooting hand. I now think I might try the gloves in the link on a colder morning, they have a somewhat long wrist-band that might hold a heater there!

I've found that thin gloves don't block the wind very well. Holding on to a gun exposes the hands to the elements. The gloves you intend to try might work with additional pockets for heaters or wrap the heaters inside the wrist/cuff.

Back