I can't feel my fingers!

There are some great, useful suggestions here; thank you all, so very much. As for temperatures, if you know South Dakota in November, it can be anything; but as I get (even) older, my fingers get numb at higher and higher temperatures. Anything below freezing and I'm in trouble, especially when the wind blows. And in South Dakota--it always blows!

There are some great, useful suggestions here; thank you all, so very much. As for temperatures, if you know South Dakota in November, it can be anything; but as I get (even) older, my fingers get numb at higher and higher temperatures. Anything below freezing and I'm in trouble, especially when the wind blows. And in South Dakota--it always blows!
Beach: What did you decide re gloves? Just curious...

On really cold days I put a bulky glove on my left hand with a handwarmer or two in it and the Sitka Gunner Glove on my right, with a handwarmer in my palm. I've heard the theory that the handwarmers warm the blood, but had a doctor (who are never wrong, in their own opinion, lol) say that the blood moves too quickly to be warmed, but what it does is keep the vessels/capillaries open, thus increasing circulation, which keeps the extremities warm.

I really have a hard time believing that with today's technology that a lightweight (meaning trigger friendly) glove that keeps the hands warm down to -20 cannot be developed and sold for a reasonable price.

On really cold days I put a bulky glove on my left hand with a handwarmer or two in it and the Sitka Gunner Glove on my right, with a handwarmer in my palm. I've heard the theory that the handwarmers warm the blood, but had a doctor (who are never wrong, in their own opinion, lol) say that the blood moves too quickly to be warmed, but what it does is keep the vessels/capillaries open, thus increasing circulation, which keeps the extremities warm.

I really have a hard time believing that with today's technology that a lightweight (meaning trigger friendly) glove that keeps the hands warm down to -20 cannot be developed and sold for a reasonable price.
G.Hour,

Really enjoy your videos! And your very busy Lab-Partner...

Have tried several trigger- friendly gloves and glove combinations due to past frostbite on several fingers. I'm using thin (battery) liners that are skin-tight and a cheap glove I found at Menards, over the top. Heat packet between the layers on the back of the hand helps, also.

The heat packets seem to be the closest solution for warm hands, other than the battery driven gloves. The problem: heat packets only last about 8-10 hours. With the battery-driven glove, they can die when you're miles from your truck; now you have very cold hands! I'll have to get busy and invent something!

G.Hour,

Really enjoy your videos! And your very busy Lab-Partner...

Have tried several trigger- friendly gloves and glove combinations due to past frostbite on several fingers. I'm using thin (battery) liners that are skin-tight and a cheap glove I found at Menards, over the top. Heat packet between the layers on the back of the hand helps, also.

The heat packets seem to be the closest solution for warm hands, other than the battery driven gloves. The problem: heat packets only last about 8-10 hours. With the battery-driven glove, they can die when you're miles from your truck; now you have very cold hands! I'll have to get busy and invent something!

Thanks for the kind words and the information. Which brand of battery heated gloves do you use?

Thanks for the kind words and the information. Which brand of battery heated gloves do you use?
This is the second battery glove I've had - and it's the best...Savior, Amazon. They are liners, not stand-alone gloves. Best over the liner I found was a dimpled glove from Menards that stretched over the liner. On high heat the battery will last 2.5 hrs; med. hi 3.5. I only use one glove - the right hand...

This is the second battery glove I've had - and it's the best...Savior, Amazon. They are liners, not stand-alone gloves. Best over the liner I found was a dimpled glove from Menards that stretched over the liner. On high heat the battery will last 2.5 hrs; med. hi 3.5. I only use one glove - the right hand...

Awesome. Thanks!!

Beach: What did you decide re gloves? Just curious...
Well, being nearly 80 years old, I don't even buy green bananas; since I don't need a solution until next fall (if then), I will probably do what I do best: procrastinate! I've tried a large number of gloves before, recommended by younger hunters who say they work; for me, they don't--and if I get the heavier ones, I can't manage the trigger properly. I'm afraid the same problem will be manifest with any battery powered options, not to mention the complications of such gadgets when changing fields, etc.

A quail hunting friend suggested wearing a heavy left glove or even a mitten, and keeping my right hand in a coat or pants pocket until I need it to shoot. I think that would work well with quail, assuming good dogs; but with pheasants (I preach to the choir), there's little if any warning, most flushes; I don't think I can drag my hand out in time to be successful, especially versus the other, younger hunters. The muff idea does sound promising; I could likely get my hand out of the muff faster than a pocket; but I'm not sure how to carry my gun in the meantime. Well. That's why it's pheasant hunting, not pheasant shooting. Thanks to all!

Beach,

Have had the same issue for years (85) and counting...

On the left hand, I wear a lined mitten with a heat warmer, in between the layers, on the back side.

On the right hand, I wear a heated liner with an inexpensive knit glove on top. This works! I'll try and find the brand and send it along; they don't print their Co. name on the glove...
Delighted to hear someone older than I is still going out after them. I intend to try as long as my son-in-law will convey me out there; I did the same for my dad, till he was in his mid-90's. Though, as Willie Nelson says, "Reasons for quitting, getting bigger each day..." 😟

Got a pair of Pyke Gear Dakota gloves to try out for this upcoming trip, they say they are better insulated in their standard shoot gloves, they seem nice will see if they keep fingers warm.

Tomorrow and Sunday will be a good days to try some of these tricks...and next weekend, even a better challenge will be coming.

Delighted to hear someone older than I is still going out after them. I intend to try as long as my son-in-law will convey me out there; I did the same for my dad, till he was in his mid-90's. Though, as Willie Nelson says, "Reasons for quitting, getting bigger each day..." 😟
Still an avid hunter...slower to mount and miss more easy shots.

Old age...like a roll of toilet paper, you unravel quicker the closer you get to the end.

Got a pair of Pyke Gear Dakota gloves to try out for this upcoming trip, they say they are better insulated in their standard shoot gloves, they seem nice will see if they keep fingers warm.
I never thought I would pay that much for gloves but I bought the Dakota gloves and they are quite possibly the warmest thin glove I have ever used. I shoot double triggers so I need some dexterity to switch between triggers and have been wearing plain leather gloves and suffering. I wore the Pyke gloves yesterday and was amazed at how warm my hands were. I don’t know how well they will last and they weren’t cheap but so far I’m happy.

Get 2 pair of the gloves you like the best. Wear one pair and stick the other in the front of yer pants. Switch em out as needed. My Pop did this for me as a youngster and it works to this day.

Run em to me

I will wear deer skin gloves along with a hunting muff that waterfowl hunters use, until my hands warm up. The muff has shell loops and I’ll alternate putting a gloved hand in the muff. Works well for me. Mine is a Browning from Sierra Trading Post.
I have been looking for this muff; it's out of stock everywhere. Since I don't need it till next fall..But I'd like to try it while it's still somewhat cold in NC.

After 65+ years of chasing roosters I've solved the cold finger problem. I just don't hunt anymore when it's that cold! :)

I tried this this weekend, put nitrile exam gloves underneath my lighter weight gloves. Kept my fingers nice and warm.
Well, if this works, that is the simplest and cheapest option out there! If it was Saturday, that would have been a decent test, but Sunday wasn't too bad, with no wind, fingers were fine then. Will have to try it...but not this weekend...going to be cold enough to get me to spend Christmas inside with the the family.

Well, if this works, that is the simplest and cheapest option out there! If it was Saturday, that would have been a decent test, but Sunday wasn't too bad, with no wind, fingers were fine then. Will have to try it...but not this weekend...going to be cold enough to get me to spend Christmas inside with the the family.
It was both days last weekend. I had to deliver our tenant farmers Christmas gift this morning so while I was there the dog and I hit one of our filter strips. Temp was 8 degrees and the carroll radio station said wind chill was minus 10, no problem with cold fingers. Several other body parts were chilly but not the fingers.

Back