How's the shotgun practice going this summer?

Yup. Anything you can do to keep sharp in the off season will help. It's interesting that you mentioned low gun start. Perfecting your gun mount will go a long ways in of itself. Maybe have your buddies release the bird on their choice so you don't know when it's coming. Any shooting really is good though.

If you really wanted to make things more realistic, you could mix things up by holding the gun as you would if you were in the field too, providing you can safely do so. Sometimes using a trap/skeet combo field for this is nice as you can have your friends choose whether to release a trap target or low/high house skeet target without you knowing which it's going to be. This not only forces you to initiate a good gun mount, but also puts a premium on good foot work as well. It's likely that your foot position will not be perfect depending on which target is released and to make a good move to the target you will need to step into the shot with your leading foot.

Last edited:
All good advice. For the vast majority of the pheasants I shoot I'm walking into one of my pointer's points with my gun hitched up in the ready position with the top off the buttstock just touching my armpit. That's how I am when I say "pull." The repetitive gun mounting alone helps, and I was one of those 15 year old geeks who read Jack O'Connor in the mid-70's and practiced my gun mount endlessly at home, tracing lines along the ceiling, etc . 40 years later and I'm still working on it. It has paid off well!
:thumbsup:

Yup. Anything you can do to keep sharp in the off season will help. It's interesting that you mentioned low gun start. Perfecting your gun mount will go a long ways in of itself. Maybe have your buddies release the bird on their choice so you don't know when it's coming. Any shooting really is good though.

If you really wanted to make things more realistic, you could mix things up by holding the gun as you would if you were in the field too, providing you can safely do so. Sometimes using a trap/skeet combo field for this is nice as you can have your friends choose whether to release a trap target or low/high house skeet target without you knowing which it's going to be. This not only forces you to initiate a good gun mount, but also puts a premium on good foot work as well. It's likely that your foot position will not be perfect depending on which target is released and to make a good move to the target you will need to step into the shot with your leading foot.

This excellent advice. The foot work part in particular. However when hunting pheasants and quail you dont have even ground to stand on. This makes things iffy at best. LOL

I'm out there shooting my league targets on a weekly basis. I shot registered tournaments for darn near 17 years all over the state and midwest. Nowadays I just shoot for fun with some buddies on a league, although I still find myself very competitive in that low key setting. :D

The last 3 years I have been volunteering my time coaching and teaching youths at my local sporting range. They have a youth league that shoots every week with one day a week league shooting, the following week a day dedicated to practice and instruction. Quite a good participation every year and very rewarding for me.

I practice at home:

http://jfshooting.com/category/shooting/

My goal is to focus on the bird's head without looking at the barrel. Sometimes I will turn away from the target, turn, reestablish my balance and mount the gun. Other than learning to use both eyes, practicing turning around was the best thing I have done to improve my shooting.

I practice during the season. I put the target in the yard and mount the gun in the house (you do not shoot at the target). Putting a bird feeder on the target allows me to practice my swing. Sometimes I use a snap cap.

If I practice diligently, I shoot well. If I do not, my shooting slips. When I travelled to Kansas, I practiced a lot. Best year, I was 16 out of 17. The shot I missed would have been my fourth bird. When I pulled the trigger, the bird crested a hill. It went from a low house station 7 shot to a high house station 1 shot.

I haven't been counting but I have approx. 1200 shots of trap and sporting clays. Scores are creeping up consistantly but will never be competetive. Have been using my new browning citori lightning exclusively to get used to it. Tried a few shots with my sons franchi auto and couldnt hit many (it was a really windy day though;). Like the O/U so much I bought another (used) one for a backup! Cant wait 'till pheasant season! Hope I get more time hunting and get to take my son for his first time!

Hi all, myself and my boys and daughter shoot an average of 2 to 3 times a week. Nothing special, just pasture clays. We shoot at different angles and just have some fun and try and sharpen our skills.

We do have a special SxS event that a few of us get together for some shooting and fun....it's really a good time. Today was our 3rd one held.

Here's some pics of the event:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=370053&#Post370053

Best!

Greg

Hi all, myself and my boys and daughter shoot an average of 2 to 3 times a week. Nothing special, just pasture clays. We shoot at different angles and just have some fun and try and sharpen our skills.

We do have a special SxS event that a few of us get together for some shooting and fun....it's really a good time. Today was our 3rd one held.

Here's some pics of the event:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=370053&#Post370053

Best!

Greg

good friends, good food, good fun....that sure looks like how it should be done. might have to try and make a version of that here. looks like a great old family tradition that you started 3 years ago, hope you get to do it as long as you want.

11. Thou shalt not not practice shooing.

I practice shooing all the time. Shoo... Shoo... get away from me. :D

shoo
SHo͞o/

verb
gerund or present participle: shooing

make (a person or animal) go away by waving one's arms at them, saying ?shoo,? or otherwise acting in a discouraging manner.
"I went to comfort her but she shooed me away"

Hey !!! I'm a member of Wild Marsh and shoot on Tuesday's or have been because of the youth leagues which I'm a volunteer instructor, but now that leagues are over I may do some Wednesday's as well. Maybe we'll cross paths one day.

Those aren't bad scores on that 5-stand setup. How many years you been shooting sporting?

Last edited:
Back