how tough to house break a kennel dog?

c_d

I know of a dog that has been a pure kennel dog it's whole life. My guess is it's about 4 or 5. How difficult is it to house break a dog at this stage in life? It was tough enough to do it with the pup in a condo, I'm not sure I want to go through all that again, but I would appreciate any tips and/or insight from anyone that's done it. TIA

You have to have someone walk the dog often (every couple hours) and get the dog on a set feeding schedule as soon as possible. Dogs (most of them at least) are very intelligent to learn the house is their house and not to soil inside. At least this is the experience I've had with the ones I've seen.

My experience, bitches are easier than dogs. Intact males get the idea to mark everything, especially if there are other animals in the house. Once it starts, it's almost impossible to stop. Have to be extremely vigulant and have reflexes like a super hero. Some are angels right off, have to try it to find out.

I guess is that the bigger issue you are facing is trying to housebreak a dog while living in a condo. Are you talking about a condo with no direct outside access, or a townhouse type where you can enter directly to the outside or yard? I think oldandnew is correct that females are easier to housebreak than males and if was me I'd have the dog spayed or neutered also if it hasn't already been done. You have not indicated the breed or sex of the dog, that might help with some suggestions for you.

ugg. this might be a task for someone else. Yes, it's a condo with no immediate outside access. 5th floor, down a long hallway. With the pup I had to carry her until we were outside, then slowly work my way back to our front door until she understood outside was the only ok place to go. I cannot picture carrying an adult dog.

I work from home, so I'm able to make as many trips outside as necessary, just not sure I want to (that's really the question we need to figure out first). Think we could do crate training as a program? only let him out for supervised times? do that for a month or so until we're comfortable?

I hadn't even thought about marking everything! crap. we watched a friend's dog for a night, and sure enough, he walked right in and peed on a dining room chair. Can't believe I didn't think about that. well, I won't forget now, that's for sure.

The dog in question is male (ESS). I'm pretty sure he's intact. This may not be the dog for us right now, but it is something that I'm sure will come up again as we consider adding a 2nd dog to the household. thanks for the help everyone.

Another factor,you say you work from home. What happens when you get very busy and forget the dog has not been put out? Only to find a mess in front of the door. That happens to all of us even with a pup.........Bob

Zeb and Bob –*I have a 15mo ESS that has not had an issue since she came home from the breeder. A couple puppy training accidents, but nothing since she's been full house trained. When she needs to go out and I'm busy, she makes herself known. No problem there (unfortunately some days!). I agree that a condo is not ideal bird dog living situation, but that's what I have, and it's worked out just fine. I was extremely vigilant when she was really young in making sure she got outside to do business, and it's paid back in dividends.

I've had to be good with a schedule to keep my business going, and adding the pup in was just one more item in day to day operations. we get out every morning and evening to run/play/walk/train, and at least 1-2 midday 'bathroom' breaks. I need to get away from the desk now and again anyhow, so it does us both some good.

One great thing about condo living - our building manager is happy to take the dog out for business/walk if I'm out at meetings and can't get back. I call or text her, and 95% of the time, it work out just fine. If not, I have a couple neighbors that can be called in a pinch. Works like a charm. I would bet $$ that my dog has a helluva better life, not to mention better social skills than most just kept in a kennel or house. There are a few dozen dogs in our building, shoot, at least 8 just on our floor. Daily interactions with these other animals has made her a damn good canine citizen so far, and I'm proud of that.

Bob, I wish I was able to have a house with a kennel in the backyard for the dog while I'm away. or at least a dog door so she can let herself out. Just not in the cards. At some point I hope. And when that happens, she can gladly stretch her legs and do her business at her leisure while I'm out of the house or just busy.

I know of a dog that is being housed in a barn currently. I guess the owner had bought her fully trained, and left her as a pure kennel dog until each hunting outing. He's left the dog out in the barn and from what I hear, he's(the dog) just starving for attention. I'm not totally clear on his background and abilities, but an opportunity to give a good bird dog a caring home, and give him some attention sounded like it could be win win for everyone. The BIG thing is I'm wondering how hard it is to house train a dog that has lived in a kennel it's whole life. From the sounds of it, it'll be tough at best. May just have to wait until we have a house to work through a problem like that. I'll find out some more info on the dog, as I figure someone on this board, or another may be interested in giving a dog a good home.

not to keep going off on this, but I am happy to admit she's not a chewer of things that aren't her's. I haven't come home to having clothes, shoes, furniture, etc destroyed from lack of exercise, frustration, etc.. Granted, I crate her whenever I leave the house, and she does just fine in it. I try not to leave her in it any longer than I have to, but it's saved our home this far, and I make sure to give her at least a 1.5-2 hours of time outside the house - free run, train, walks, whatever.

Sorry guys, this just stuck a cord. I agree a condo/apartment is not ideal for birddogs, but it is completely doable IMHO. Maybe my situation is different than most, and I can see that. But as long as someone makes a commitment to train their dog, and exercise it a bunch, then they do well in the house (at least our ESS does). I know this probably goes against the grain for a lot of dogs, but exercise is KEY! I'm sure most of you guys wouldn't think of hiring a dog walker, but in our urban setting, if you can't do the walking, someone needs to. It can be very helpful some days.

ok. sorry. off my soapbox now.

Sounds like you have a great system worked out with your current dog. Why add another older dog to the mix. Starting one from a pup in your condo is one thing but bringing in a mautre dog that has only been in a kennel could spell trouble. I wouldn't mess with a good thing.

Sounds like you have a great system worked out with your current dog. Why add another older dog to the mix. Starting one from a pup in your condo is one thing but bringing in a mautre dog that has only been in a kennel could spell trouble. I wouldn't mess with a good thing.

I'm definitely in agreement with this. My wife and I have talked about eventually getting a second dog. My uncle told me about this guy, and it sounded like an interesting prospect. Though you're right about not messing with a good thing. :cheers:

I just did this with a 3yr old ES, he came from a Field Trialer who claimed he had been in the house at one time, but not in a long time. I wasn't sure how true that was because he knew I wanted a house broken dog if possible. I will say it was fairly easy, as an adult dog should be more calm and will lay down more during idol time. I just watched him like a hawk, and if he showed any signs of sniffing I let him outside, I never left him out in the house alone either in his kennel, or locked in the kitchen {no carpet]. He had very few accidents, I also made sure he had lots of exercise, a run almost everyday. I did have a start as the owner knowing I wanted him in the house brought him in his house during the time before I could pick him up, I think that was 4-5 days. One thing this boy liked to do was lift his leg on people he first met, my daughter, the vets assistant, but after catching him a couple of times he stopped, but when he meets someone new I still keep a close eye on his leg.

I don't think it's difficult at all. I foster dogs for rescue and housebreak EVERY dog that comes in. Old, young, pup, whatever.

Crate training is key.
Routine is key.

Praise is VERY important.

I've had dogs that have lived in the kennel their whole lives come in and become pretty reliable in a couple days. Now, whether or not they know how to let me know if they need to go out takes a bit longer, but at that point in the game, if there's an accident in the house it's my fault.

Fenway's post is very good.

I just did this with a 3yr old ES, he came from a Field Trialer who claimed he had been in the house at one time, but not in a long time. I wasn't sure how true that was because he knew I wanted a house broken dog if possible. I will say it was fairly easy, as an adult dog should be more calm and will lay down more during idol time. I just watched him like a hawk, and if he showed any signs of sniffing I let him outside, I never left him out in the house alone either in his kennel, or locked in the kitchen {no carpet]. He had very few accidents, I also made sure he had lots of exercise, a run almost everyday. I did have a start as the owner knowing I wanted him in the house brought him in his house during the time before I could pick him up, I think that was 4-5 days. One thing this boy liked to do was lift his leg on people he first met, my daughter, the vets assistant, but after catching him a couple of times he stopped, but when he meets someone new I still keep a close eye on his leg.

seen alot of that at field trials:)

I know of a dog that has been a pure kennel dog it's whole life. My guess is it's about 4 or 5. How difficult is it to house break a dog at this stage in life? It was tough enough to do it with the pup in a condo, I'm not sure I want to go through all that again, but I would appreciate any tips and/or insight from anyone that's done it. TIA

I have brought several of mine in the house for a few days at a time and no problem. Just took them out every few hours.I think its a CRAP shoot:D

Back