How to talk my wife into getting a dog

daryl1801

What is the best way to convince my wife i need a dog for hunting. She wont budge.she says only if the dog stays outside and never comes inside the house. But she still says no dog. I need help to convince her. Any suggestions would be great. Ps-no smartass responces. I have heard them all!

Black lab, she has a kennel outside with an insulated dog house and she can get into the garage. She and I go for a walk in the park everyday and sometimes I get to bring her into the house for 30 minutes or so to chew a bone.

Since I have a farm, she gets to go with me when I'm working on habitat and farm projects.

hmmmmm

dary,when i wanted a second dog i had a list a mile long tile the floor build a patio and a few other things give her something she has really been wanting to its give and take i guess you have to have a little hustle in your game dude when you finally convince her ask her to help you pick the pup or dog out like its hers to but you will have to get what she has been wanting first! let me know i love this post

Daryl what are her concerns about have a dog in the house ??

We intended to have our dog in the house more but its my own fault. You see, we have a prairie tiger in the house and due to some ill advised experiences with prairie tigers out in the field my dog thinks they are fair game, like pheasants.

she dosent like dogs she says they shed -stink and pea and poop on the floor-they drool and wipe thier poopy tail on the floor she grew up with dogs and hates them!

You can easily counter your wife's objections.

Shedding: Think of getting a wirehaired breed like a Puddlepointer, German Wirehair or Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. I think they shed very little.

Pee & Poop: A properly trained dog won't have these issues. I would suggest a female and have her spayed.

Poopy Tail: Get a breed with a short tail.

Do you have any buddies you hunt with that have dogs? If so, you might have their wives visit with yours about day in day out bird dog ownership. I'm as lucky as you get because my wife loves dogs; however, the concerns you mention are real. Good luck; I'm sure once a dog arrives at your house, she will come around. If you do keep one outside, build a nice and proper kennel area for you dog. Or.....in true JMc form; just get the dog and deal with it.

my friends have dogs and my wife has talked to thier wifes and that was not good! they all had bad things to say about hunting dogs and all the bad things that has happened in the last few years. from bloody couches to muddy carpets to puke in the babys room and the kids got into it.......ect.........ect....ect.......poop on carpets and the dog was sick! if you know what i mean!poop everywhere! i can see where my wife is comming from but it is sure too cold outside for a pointer. does anybody keep thier dog outside??

If that is the case I would have to assume that your friends dogs are not very well trained. If she has all these concerns about the messes dogs make in the house then my advice would be that you never have any children. My kids and grandkids have made many more messes than my dogs.

dogs are dogs and my friends dogs are very well trained. women remember only the bad things about dogs. dogs cant help being sick diareea all over the place.

my friends have dogs and my wife has talked to thier wifes and that was not good! they all had bad things to say about hunting dogs and all the bad things that has happened in the last few years. from bloody couches to muddy carpets to puke in the babys room and the kids got into it.......ect.........ect....ect.......poop on carpets and the dog was sick! if you know what i mean!poop everywhere! i can see where my wife is comming from but it is sure too cold outside for a pointer. does anybody keep thier dog outside??
yep keep them outside whats the problem? every kennel i have bought dogs from keep all there dogs outside people on here think that its to cold for dogs outsidePLEASE what do all the guys with kennels do that have lots of dogs keep all 20 to 30 inside NOT

yep keep them outside whats the problem? every kennel i have bought dogs from keep all there dogs outside people on here think that its to cold for dogs outsidePLEASE what do all the guys with kennels do that have lots of dogs keep all 20 to 30 inside NOT

This :thumbsup:

dogs

I have pointers, they are all outside. it has been -10 to 25 degrees this last 10 days, they are all fine.

Just got my PDJ (pointing dog journal) yesterday, there is a whole article about this in there. The article said "you never hear of dogs dieing from being to cold, dogs acclimate to cold alot better than people"

As long as the dog has some place to get in (it doesnt have to be insulated just something that stops the wind, like a barrel) and it is well bedded with straw or wood chips the dog will be fine.

I have pointers, they are all outside. it has been -10 to 25 degrees this last 10 days, they are all fine.

Just got my PDJ (pointing dog journal) yesterday, there is a whole article about this in there. The article said "you never hear of dogs dieing from being to cold, dogs acclimate to cold alot better than people"

As long as the dog has some place to get in (it doesnt have to be insulated just something that stops the wind, like a barrel) and it is well bedded with straw or wood chips the dog will be fine.
ding ding ding we haver a winner

Man I understand the wife thing. I grew up in the country on a farm, she grew up in alot bigger town 20 miles away. Anyway after I got home from Iraq we started looking at different houses, found one we liked, but more than we wanted to pay. The house we were in was small, no yard or room for a pointer to run. Anyway we ran into the people who had the house for sale. they where wanting to move closer to grandkids, so they told us the price they would take for a quick sale. (about 60% of appraised value) I told my wife we could buy it if I could get a dog, she said ok. My second dog was the one that was harder to talk her into. Now she has pretty much given up, I have 5 adult dogs at this time and two litter on the way.

Man I understand the wife thing. I grew up in the country on a farm, she grew up in alot bigger town 20 miles away. Anyway after I got home from Iraq we started looking at different houses, found one we liked, but more than we wanted to pay. The house we were in was small, no yard or room for a pointer to run. Anyway we ran into the people who had the house for sale. they where wanting to move closer to grandkids, so they told us the price they would take for a quick sale. (about 60% of appraised value) I told my wife we could buy it if I could get a dog, she said ok. My second dog was the one that was harder to talk her into. Now she has pretty much given up, I have 5 adult dogs at this time and two litter on the way.

i love it perfect once you get the ok your home free

My wife said,"not in the house and you scoop all the poop" So now I spend a lot of time in the insulated garage with the "other woman".

Back