How to talk my wife into getting a dog

Soap Box

Daryl, it's nice to see somebody seriously considering the pros and cons of getting a dog in advance. Working out the details and getting agreement from her is a good idea. It will save you trouble later on.

Even the best trained house dogs barf occasionally, dribble water when they drink, and shed hair. She can either live with this or not, and I think it's good that you are finding this out now before you bring the dog home.

We've had numerous friends purchase puppies over the past few years, and then give them up six months later because they chew, or bark, or get into the trash, or find out they are allergic, or never bother training it and then it becomes large and out of control, etc.:mad: Pisses me off to no end!!! IMO, when you purchase a dog, you are on the hook for the lifetime of the dog. Not just "as long as it's perfectly convenient"...:eek:

I hope your outdoor dog plan works out well. A dog is a serious committment. I wish other people would take it as seriously as you are.:thumbsup:

unless your wife really despises animals/dogs...there may be a bigger issue that she isn't mentioning. i speak from a woman's perspective and i will be the first to admit that i have never been a huge fan of big dogs but i do love animals. once i was around a big dog, i realized pretty quickly how much fun they can be. if you've shown your wife that she will not be the primary caretaker of the dog and that the dog would in fact not create to much chaos in the household, then there shouldn't be that big of a problem. my recommendation is to ask your wife if there is a bigger issue than just the dog. she may not like the amount of time that you devote to hunting or outdoors activities, especially if it is something she doesn't enjoy herself. good luck!

unless your wife really despises animals/dogs...there may be a bigger issue that she isn't mentioning. i speak from a woman's perspective and i will be the first to admit that i have never been a huge fan of big dogs but i do love animals. once i was around a big dog, i realized pretty quickly how much fun they can be. if you've shown your wife that she will not be the primary caretaker of the dog and that the dog would in fact not create to much chaos in the household, then there shouldn't be that big of a problem. my recommendation is to ask your wife if there is a bigger issue than just the dog. she may not like the amount of time that you devote to hunting or outdoors activities, especially if it is something she doesn't enjoy herself. good luck!

Good advice.

Another consideration is to get a started dog. My wife insisted no dogs until the kids were older (I have 1 and 3 year old boys). "Puppies just take too much time" she would say. I ended up selling her on the idea of a 1.5 yo started kennel dog. She still didn't like the idea but relented on the condition that it stays outside and she doesn't have to be involved.

6 months later and Ruger is one of the family. He slowly won her over. Once she saw how impressive a well trained dog can be she was hooked. He may not be broke, but he is one obedient dog. And with work, most any dog can be. Once she showed an interest in his training, it was all over. He's now in the house more than I am and has taken up permanent residence on a doggy bed in front of the wood stove.

For a woman who did NOT want a dog, she sure shows a lot of pride in him when we have company over and she can make "her" dog behave like a perfect gentleman. I'm always surprised how amazed people are by simple obedience...

Forgo the puppy for now. Try selling your wife on a started dog from a good breeder/pro.

Yup I agree with a couple of others on this. A dog doesn't have to be an inside dog. I don't know where people get this idea from. Sure its nice to have your dog in the house, shoot my old Vizsla is in the house now. But I kept him outside with the labs for 9 yrs and he was fine.

Get yourself a good kennel, pour some concrete and finish it slick (not broom finish) it keeps the bacteria from having a place to be. Get a good dog house like a K9 condo or a barrel. Put some PRAIRIE HAY in it, not straw, not wood chips. Prairie hay or brome grass intertwines and does not push away like straw or wood chips and provides better insulating than either of the other two. Change it out every couple of weeks or sooner if its wet out and your dog will be happy as a lark.

Let him out of the kennel a couple of times a day to exercise and spend time with you other than training and it will be happy.

My wife is a cat person (somehow I lover her still), and I'm a dog person (and damned sure not in favor of cats in Chinese food, or my home). We made a deal when we first got together. She could have a cat (as in one) and I already had a dog. My dog died a couple of months ago (after six years of our agreement), and she showed up with another kitten that very day (cold-hearted you say?). We now have three cats and no dog. I didn't feel the need for permission last month when I put a deposit on a future litter English Setter (born a few days ago), and I won't feel that need when I put another deposit on another future litter. BTW, anyone want some kittens?:D

I like that you are considering her feelings and the long term aspects of having a dog, but if she can't grow to love a puppy... Hell, you can always get another wife......

Last edited:
Back