How-to Article

A5 Sweet 16

As we get closer & closer to the season, there's more & more discussion on finding places to hunt & what those places should offer.
If there was an entertaining article (call it a definitive treatise) on how to find, hunt & shoot pheasants on public land in SD, written by a true expert,
would you buy it? How much might you pay to be privy to such knowledge?
I'm thinking I could save some of you a lot of money. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
As we get closer & closer to the season, there's more & more discussion on finding places to hunt & what those places should offer.
If there was an entertaining article (call it a definitive treatise) on how to find, hunt & shoot pheasants on public land in SD, written by a true expert,
would you buy it? How much might you pay to be privy to such knowledge?
I'm thinking I could save some of you a lot of money. :ROFLMAO:

You mean like this free site UPH that has a bunch of info? :unsure:

You mean like this free site UPH that has a bunch of info? :unsure:
Exactly! Just like this site where guys relay 40-50 years of experience in a short paragraph or 2, telling everything there is to know about pheasant hunting, all right at your fingertips in one post you save on your desktop or phone's home page. Just like that. :unsure:
Here's where I sound like an even bigger a-hole than I usually do. There's more to hunting actual wild pheasants in SD than some people think. Youtube hasn't done many favors. I've helped enough people through the years that I know my experience can be useful. It's almost heartbreaking when I see these posts about how bad the public land is & how poor bird hunting is on them. Because it's far from reality. You just have to know what you're doing. Sure, if I actually spilled the beans, I'd be shooting myself & others in the foot to a certain extent, since virtually all my hunting is on public land. And it would take a lot of time, money & effort to write a good how-to "book" on the subject (I've never really seen one). So I couldn't do it for nothing. I might, with your encouragement Flushedup, talk myself into a project.

Last edited:
Would I buy it?

Sadly, yes I'd buy it. Might even buy a couple extras to give to some of my hunting buddies. One in particular that always lets the bolt on his auto go about the time we step into the field. One of the reasons he should shoot an o/u.
How much would I pay?

That's classified information and if I told you how much I have paid well that would be embarrassing.
Truth is it probably wouldn't change anything I would do, how or where I hunt. Its now part of my DNA I suspect.

So if I'm going to buy this article, how's that going to save me any money?

We are getting closer, starting to feel a little Fall in the air in Tennessee.

like any animal, pheasants need food, cover and water...good news, roosters are highly conspicuous...there's only so many places they can be, and the good news is they don't burrow under ground! If you have a decent dog that you can control, and you are willing to walk a bit, this is fairly simple...shoot a fairly open-choked gun (IC, for example), and use # 5 shot, maybe 4's...this isn't rocket science!!!!

like any animal, pheasants need food, cover and water...good news, roosters are highly conspicuous...there's only so many places they can be, and the good news is they don't burrow under ground! If you have a decent dog that you can control, and you are willing to walk a bit, this is fairly simple...shoot a fairly open-choked gun (IC, for example), and use # 5 shot, maybe 4's...this isn't rocket science!!!!
You are giving away all the secrets for free!

and the good news is they don't burrow under ground!
b-b, actually....my buddies & I are pretty certain there's a strain of roosters around extreme east-central SD that DOES burrow. There's occasionally no other explanation for where they go. Gotta be diggers! :LOL:

I guide at a few local game farms to keep my dogs in shape and get them practice retrieving tons of birds. I always tell my clients that pheasants do things in order and that order is usually; run first, hide second, fly third. So figure out where they are running to when they are running from you. Then have a good dog so you don't walk past them. Finally get ready because when they fly it is usually in the direction you least expect. That's why we love to hunt them.

Exactly! Just like this site where guys relay 40-50 years of experience in a short paragraph or 2, telling everything there is to know about pheasant hunting, all right at your fingertips in one post you save on your desktop or phone's home page. Just like that. :unsure:
Here's where I sound like an even bigger a-hole than I usually do. There's more to hunting actual wild pheasants in SD than some people think. Youtube hasn't done many favors. I've helped enough people through the years that I know my experience can be useful. It's almost heartbreaking when I see these posts about how bad the public land is & how poor bird hunting is on them. Because it's far from reality. You just have to know what you're doing. Sure, if I actually spilled the beans, I'd be shooting myself & others in the foot to a certain extent, since virtually all my hunting is on public land. And it would take a lot of time, money & effort to write a good how-to "book" on the subject (I've never really seen one). So I couldn't do it for nothing. I might, with your encouragement Flushedup, talk myself into a project.

I was just yanking your chain a bit... I know what you mean though about shooting yourself in the foot. I too, do 95% of all my hunting on public land and the only way I would spill secrets on spots is if there was some sort of torture going on. The sad thing is, you can walk the wrong direction on a piece of land and those birds have you figured out. You end up thinking there wasnt anything there. But if you approach it a different way, you can get up on them sneaky little buggers. Never give a spot just one chance.

If I was willing to pay for pheasant hunting information, I would not be on a free hunting forum.
We’re talking about pheasants, not COVID vaccines.

Actually, I hunt a lot of public. You have to think outside the box, and walk many miles. I found as place in eastern mt.that skunked me several times, until I looked at the map, and realized there was another 1-2 section that I thought was private. It actually had a pond on it.

Back