How much $ for a good started dog?

I have an adopted GSP that is a great hunter and I just spent $3000 on two 14 month old GSP's out of an NFC Champion. They are both on birds, whoa broke, with all other basic commands such as here, heel, etc. They will go to my sons kennel, receive extensive training, and will sell for twice that amount in less than 6 months. This discussion shouldn't be over the cost of the dog, it should be what can you afford or what do you want to spend. Some of us want to train a puppy and some of us want a trained dog. If you are comfortable training a dog then you save money; although IMHO, the training never stops. Best of luck trying to figure it all out; either way or regardless of cost; they are our best friends and companions and you won't go wrong with whatever price you pay.

Things did stray away from the original question, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.
While you can get a good cheap or free dog from some source, your odds are far better from a quality breeder. As someone else pointed out, a good bloodline that gets little training or bird exposure may not amount to too much either. Birds, birds and more birds in the field is my motto.
By the way-- A guy had a Lab Weim cross in the field this weekend and wasn't worth a chit. Dog did not hunt!
________
Montana dispensary

Last edited:
I bought a started dog, board trained, whistle trained, steady, force broke to retrieve, and one year on wild birds.

I know most trainers of flushing dogs get at least 500 per month and the top one get more, it doesn't take to many months to get to 2500.

I still think you cannot go to the trainers in the morning and pick up this great dog. Then take it hunting in the afternoon. It just don't happen that way. You still have to get the dog to bond with you and obey the commands the trainer taught you, FOR YOU. That will take about 2 months or so in anybodies book flusher or pointer

When I bought my dog the trainer told me no training of any kind for 6 weeks just play and bond with him.

I have a 1.5 year old golden. He spent 3 months with a highly regarded professional trainer. While we began obedience training ourselves, the trainer reinforced and increased his level of obedience; force fetch trained him; trained him solid retrieving both bumpers and shot birds to finish; and collar conditioned him to fine tune everything that was worked on. We spent $600 per month plus birds for the training. On top of the $800 spent to buy him, that's $2400+. Since returning, he has spent 9 days in the field including 2 trips to South Dakota this year and continues to get better. I would say he's above the majority of the 11 dogs we've hunted with being the second youngest of the group. After all is said and done, I guess $2500 for this level of dog is reasonable.

Last edited:
Seems like I see started pointing dogs go from 2,000 to as much as 5,000, at least asking price is that. The stud I used for my last litter was sold for 10,000 but he was a finished MH out of very strong background. I have heard that started dog sales have suffered a bit with the economy though, so not sure what they settle on for a final price.

Background and reputation of the seller seems to weigh heavily into the price. Someone mentioned Pine Shadows springers--they sell their pups for a pretty high price and ask quite a bit for everything--but they have a long history and strong rep., can get away with doing that.

not to beat a dead horse, but the price of a started dog depends on a number of variables. Speaking from a retriever background, say you have a MH x MH breeding that has some FC/AFC in the pedigree as well. Those pups right out the shoot are going to cost you probably $700-$1200 at 7 weeks. So use $800 as your puppy price at 7 weeks. Now your talking about a started dog being anywhere from 1-2 years old. Even at 2 years old, even if it is steady to wing/shot/fall, I'd hesitate to call it finished. Finished brings about a whole other dynamic of what is and isn't expected from that dog and your price is going to reflect this. So the owner of the dog/pro trainer has been working with the puppy from the time it was born to 2 years old when your going to buy it. Now factor in all the costs that puppy has had put into it during that time and I'd expect to pay at minimum 3K for it. If it was less then that, I'd really want to know why. Is the pup not progressing in its training, are there health issues etc...

Now if your looking for strictly a hunting dog, one that comes w/out the bells and whistles...and potential health clearences, then I'd expect that dog to cost me closer to 1-2K. With additional age and training that cost will only go one way.

In the end however, "it depends" is probably the best answer for how much for a started dog, as people all have different definitions of what constitutes "started".

20 bucks for an inbred Golden, GSP for free, great hunting companion - Priceless

20 bucks for an inbred Golden, GSP for free, great hunting companion - Priceless

When My buddy and I decided that it was time for pheasant dogs after a few years of walking the fence rows with some "luck", we ran across a litter of pure bred Goldens that had been a "mistake"... Since they were not able to register them AKC, we picked them up for $20 each... After a few years of training and experience in the field, they were awesome.. Those dogs would retrieve anything we hit, sometimes in next field a half mile away... Our "luck" improved tremendously. They passed on at 11 and 13 yrs, respectfully.

In the meantime, the 3rd member of our group purchased a GSP from a Pheasants Forever banquet auction - paid $375. He was the king... only pointed Roosters... Unfortunately, Towser is now 14 and having some health issues, although he still hunts with us for the first half of a day..

Along comes an acquaintance at work who's boyfriend, Jason, had just purchased a Black Lab Pup.. and they have too many dogs in town.. That opened up opportunity. I was given Cassidy, a spayed, chipped, GSP of 18 months who was partly field trained. Cassidy was specifically bred in Kansas for Jason, through his Uncle's breeders.. Well, Cassidy is the Queen. She is the best pointer, finder, retriever, desired, and respected dog in the pack now.

My buddy paid $300 for his GSP pup at 6 weeks and trained him along side Towser and Cassidy. At 4, he is now in his prime..

So, the moral of the story... The price you pay is what you are willing to spend, but the best hunting companion is the one that you have the time to spend your time with in the field.... Priceless...:cheers:

I was offered 5 grand for both the young dogs I have now by some field trialers, I turned them down because that would just break me even on the time, money, work, birds, food, vet, health tests ect. I have done on them. They were both steady and doing very well.

I just don't see not having to pay at least 2-4 thousand depending on the dog. A wash out wich we never have had, might be free to 300. Considering I paid 1,000$ as a pup, put 2 years training in, pluss the stuff listed above. Not including entry fees in trials. I would not sell them for 10,000.For me it would be to hard to do. But I could keep a pup or two and sell them in that 2-4 thousand range, no problem.

Back