How much $ for a good started dog?

FCSpringer

How much would you guy's expect to pay for a good started dog that you can take out hunting? say a 1 to 1 1/2 year old dog that retrieves nice and goes about finding game the way they are suposed to. But most likely will still not quite go all day because of the young factor.

Good question. I get all kinds of requests for "started dogs" but struggle with the definition and the price. I do take exception to "go all day". I have had 7 month old pups "go all day".
I would say that I know many Prize I NAVHDA pups that were sold for $2,500 at age 1-2 years.
________
Starcraft 2 replay

Last edited:
I

would say depends on the breed ,bloodlines, extent of training ect..... Ball park $1500-$2500 year to year and a half old dog should have had alot of training and seen quite a few birds that all equals $$$$ on the other hand a young dog that has good instincts has solid obedience but has not been on alot of birds should be under $1000...............birds make bird dogs!!!!

All rigth I'll go ahead and irritate some people here.

2500 bucks for a started dog. :eek: You would have to be smoking crack by the train load. For that much money it had better clean the birds, cook'em and do the dishes too. If my two dog's died tomorrow and I needed a dog for the hunting season (until I had a chance to get a pup started myself) I would go to the local dog pound a check out a dog for the day. If he did not hunt I would bring him back and try a different one. I eventually would get my "started dog" for dang near free.

$2500 is HIGH

That in my opinion would be for a well bred dog that you planned to use for hunt tests .I pesonally would not pay that for a gundog either.

I would around $1000. tops. I still have to take that dog and teach it obedience the way I want it to Obey. Plus I would most likely have to whistle and hand train it. To me a started dog isn't worth much all the trainer did was wake-up and hone its' natural ability.......Bob

OK let me give a bit more info on what I am saying a started dog is. Obediant, hups to comand, stay, hups to whistle, 1/4's within gun range, when getting out responds to a turn and come in whistle, finds birds well, has developed trailing skills, marks,and retrieves to hand. And has had several birds shot to it. Basicly a dog you can take and hunt but will continue to refine it's skills as it ages.I spose they could hunt all day,but for me I like to break up a day some with a young dog, thats just me. I can't think of anywhere I could buy this type of dog for less than 2,500 -3,000$ at least. Heck alot of well bred pups are a 1,000$ or more.

I think

alot is gonna depend on the pedigree of the dog if the pedigree doesn't mattter to you you probably could find a dog like you described for $1500 your not looking for a dog that is steady to wing and shot?

No, I would think a steady dog would cost more and yes the dog would have a great pedigree along with health guarentee and screening on the sire and damm, Just a all around top notch dog In all aspects, not a pound dog or an accident breeding from a couple farm dogs.

Most of the dogs that I researched were priced at $2000-3000.00. The difference came from level of training, experience of dog, and breeding. These dogs were not accidendal breedings but had pedigree'd sire and dam.

BG, he is not talking pointers, he is talking a flushing dog. His name FC Springer. Springer Spaniels. The commands he states are for flushers. Even so I still think you cannot go to the trainers in the morning and pick up this great dog. Then take it hunting in the afternoon. It just don't happen that way. You still have to get the dog to bond with you and obey the commands the trainer taught you, FOR YOU. That will take about 2 months or so in anybodies book flusher or pointer. The hunter/owner still must have control.......Bob

I don't mean a flusher just a price on a started dog, any good started dog ,just useing a level of talent to compair from. You know numbers. 2,000$ or 10$ simple as that. I don't care how much you need to learn or how long you think you have to baby your new dog It can point listen to wo comands whatever don't turn this into somthing it is not Bob just a price.

Last edited:
bottom line

lots of trainers tell me if it points and holds birds automatic 1000.Bob you are right prime example my dog could poin retreive back BUT didnt know how to cross a fence cross a creek just never been hunted didnt know how to load in a truck all a different story now though keep taking them the light bulb suddenly goes on!

Anything steady to wing and shot is pretty much a finished dog if it has natural ability.
Granted, I live in the boonies, but if I have puppies around they are on the ground and using their noses at a very early age. In December, I get them out on the tons of concentrated birds we have and they begin pointing hens or they are not going to be in my kennel very long. I do not overtrain at this juncture, just get the juices flowing to build up their prey drive. Works for me.
They then get Natural Ability Tested with NAVHDA. If they get a PRIZE I they are a $2,000 dog minimally. This may sound Like a lot, but we test, x-ray quality breed the dogs and guarentee them on that basis. I make a lot more $ on a pup that goes out 7-8 weeks! No more food shots etc. at that point.
________
WHIZ KIDS

Last edited:
A guy I know bought a started Springer from Pine Shadows in Barinerd, MN this summer and I think paid around $2,600. I think the $2,000 - 3,000 that has been posted here is about right. Depends on the pedigree and the amount of training.

The breeder/trainer I bought my last Brittany from in Colorado has a 2 year old female for sale that has had a year of professional training and wild bird experience. He's asking $4,000. She is also intact and being marketed as a foundation bitch for someone's breeding program.

Started dog

You guys need to remeber that just because you go out and spend $3000 on a "started dog" does not mean that he is going to be a champion hunter when you decide to bring him out 1 or 2 times a year.... These dogs are worked 4-5 a week by a pro trainer.... I see so many guys go out and spend these crazy $$ and expect them to be the best hunter ever... You have to continue to work with your dog.... Dogs have a lot of natural ability in them... "These dogs were not accidendal breedings but had pedigree'd sire and dam." These kind of coments make me laugh.... I have a 4yr m Wiem/Lad mix that I rescued as a puppy because he was a "accidental breeding" and he has turned out to be by far the best dog that I have ever hunted with..... I could never say it enough.... It is not the price or even the bloodline that really makes the dog.... It is YOU as his master showing him and letting him have ample opportunity to polish his skills........

I guess after reading this thread through, I did not make myself clear. To me they are not worth more than $1000. I have named all my reasons for not wanting to pay more. Even a finished dog you described FCS, is not worth it to me. I still have a lot of work to get it to hunt the way I want too. I would rather spend the money on a good pup at about 8 weeks and train it to my liking......Bob

Last edited:
Never really looked at the prices of started dogs much just cause bringin a pup up is half the fun but some breeds from top breeders are over $1,000 or 1,500 at 8weeks old. I'd imagine twice that much for a started dog would be pretty reasonable.

You guys need to remeber that just because you go out and spend $3000 on a "started dog" does not mean that he is going to be a champion hunter when you decide to bring him out 1 or 2 times a year.... These dogs are worked 4-5 a week by a pro trainer.... I see so many guys go out and spend these crazy $$ and expect them to be the best hunter ever... You have to continue to work with your dog.... Dogs have a lot of natural ability in them... "These dogs were not accidendal breedings but had pedigree'd sire and dam." These kind of coments make me laugh.... I have a 4yr m Wiem/Lad mix that I rescued as a puppy because he was a "accidental breeding" and he has turned out to be by far the best dog that I have ever hunted with..... I could never say it enough.... It is not the price or even the bloodline that really makes the dog.... It is YOU as his master showing him and letting him have ample opportunity to polish his skills........

Although I comend you on adopting a dog and taking care of it, you seem to be missing the point. The ? again was simply how much would you pay for a good started dog.......
I doubt anyone who would be in the business of training and selling dogs would go to a rescue or pound and try to sell one to a customer.I am sure some people who adopt are very happy. But the ? was not How many people have adopted dogs from a rescue.

Last edited:
Back