How many dogs do you have?

How many dogs do you have?

• 0 (I hunt alone or my friends have the dogs.)

Votes: 2 3.4%

Votes: 19 32.8%

Votes: 22 37.9%

Votes: 9 15.5%

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • 5 or more (I need all the dog power I can get)

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters
I was wondering if someone with two dogs can share some insight on the good and bad of having two dogs. Insight into training, lounging in the house, anything you want to share would be appreciated.

Both dogs would be kept in the home. I do have a finished basement they could stay in during the day.

I see no problem with having two dogs in the house as long that they know who the boss is, the only down fall with us is my Curly Coated Ret. sheds something terrible and the Chessie has some stinky farts, it's so bad he can knock a buzzered of a shit wagon :eek:, other than that nothing major.

Training : I'm guessing house training is what you are talking about here, keep to the basics, depending on how you feed them we always make sure the dogs don't try to get into each others food dish.
I would crate train them, you would feel a-lot better knowing the dogs are in their crates when your away and they won't get into thing when they become bored, plus it's a good selling point for the wife. she can always stick you in there when you do something wrong ;)

I see no problem with having two dogs in the house as long that they know who the boss is, the only down fall with us is my Curly Coated Ret. sheds something terrible and the Chessie has some stinky farts, it's so bad he can knock a buzzered of a shit wagon :eek:, other than that nothing major.

Training : I'm guessing house training is what you are talking about here, keep to the basics, depending on how you feed them we always make sure the dogs don't try to get into each others food dish.
I would crate train them, you would feel a-lot better knowing the dogs are in their crates when your away and they won't get into thing when they become bored, plus it's a good selling point for the wife. she can always stick you in there when you do something wrong ;)

Mr Hyde,

Thanks for the insight, and making me laugh out loud in my cube. My coworkers were already wondering about me.

As for training I was more concerned about field work. A trainer at a Pheasant Fest seminar said you have to be careful with training two dogs, that one does not become dominant over the other, take all the retrieves in the field, etc... He was answering a question from a guy who has two dogs and one stopped retrieving real birds. He blamed it on one becoming more dominant.

Jim

Shorthairs

I have 3 german shorthairs and they are outstanding hunting dogs. Very versitile and extremely easy to train. They want to please you as an owner. I use to have all english pointers but they don't hunt for you they hunt for themselves in my opinion. Love the shorthair breed though.

I have 3 german shorthairs and they are outstanding hunting dogs. Very versitile and extremely easy to train. They want to please you as an owner. I use to have all english pointers but they don't hunt for you they hunt for themselves in my opinion. Love the shorthair breed though.

Yeah,

My britts would prefer to hunt for themselves if you ask me. I've seen some good britts that hunt with their owner, but neither of mine do. I could get a shock collar, but I want a dog that hunts with me because it wants to. I'll probably just get another shorthair so I don't have to worry about it. My Griffon would prefer to hunt with me, but I'm not sure about his heart when we aren't getting into birds:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Mr Hyde,

Thanks for the insight, and making me laugh out loud in my cube. My coworkers were already wondering about me.

As for training I was more concerned about field work. A trainer at a Pheasant Fest seminar said you have to be careful with training two dogs, that one does not become dominant over the other, take all the retrieves in the field, etc... He was answering a question from a guy who has two dogs and one stopped retrieving real birds. He blamed it on one becoming more dominant.

Jim
I have seen some dogs that do not "race to retrieve" get in the practice of letting another dog do its retrieving work. At least 50% of the dogs in the field these days are not "broke to fall". (Basically, my dogs are not.) I have seen many dogs get to the point where they think if they have to beat another dog to the bird and wrestle for it, they will just let the other dog do it's thing. When hunting alone they will retrieve just fine.
________
Honda life dunk

Last edited:
I have two english setters. One is twelve and one is almost six, which is a pup from my old dog. Time to maybe get another pup. That is what I have been saying to my wife anyhow. I also have three beagles.

I have 3 labs, 2 britts ,2english pointers,1 visla all live outside butt when they do come in they are well mannered. and all hunt for me not themselves. i am dog poor anybody need one or two lol... wouldn;t trade any of them for anything

Last edited:
We have two yellow labs...Belle is a 5 year old female and Clark is a 5 month old male. The male is almost the same size as our older dog but he is still all pup. Looking forward to getting them both out hunting this fall.

Scott

Hey Win97, how far are you from Waverly? There are several good litters coming up at Rainbow Kennel in Waverly! I think you need to get the wife out for a weekend away!!!! You can surprise her with a wiggling mass of puppy breath:)

Back