How many dogs do you have?

How many dogs do you have?

• 0 (I hunt alone or my friends have the dogs.)

Votes: 2 3.4%

Votes: 19 32.8%

Votes: 22 37.9%

Votes: 9 15.5%

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • 5 or more (I need all the dog power I can get)

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters
Be carefull what you wish for you may end up with one of my pups this spring:D. I have Three, and Co own a fourth that is a future foundation dog for us but does not live here. And will hopefully be keeping one back out of this litter I am haveing.So soon to be 4&1/2 for a total.All are going strong and they range from 8yrs. to 9 months. :beer:

My wife dreaded me going to Pheasant fest this year with a check book because she thought I might bring back a pup or two :rolleyes: believe me I thought about it :thumbsup:

I have one Brittany and Tony is so spoiled I don't think he would tolerate a second dog in the house permanently. But in a year or so I am going to have to look into a pup for Tony is 9 years old 10 in September and starting to signs of age.---Bob

4- A yellow lab 12.5 yrs, two black labs 3,2 yrs, and a DK 1 yr. All hunt and all are inside dogs. They help keep the heating bill down.

(1) 2yr Pudelpointer, (1) 4yr Curly Coated Ret.and (1) 1.5yr Cheasapeake Bay Ret.

(2) gsp's nothin like seeing a good dog on point

Just have the 1 now. 1 yr old Vizsla!

10yo brittany, 7yo brittany, and a 3yo Griffon pointer. Time to start shopping for a pup. The wife wants the next one to be a shorthair and she wants it in the house. I think I'm ready for a GSP myself. In the future, I plan to maintain a kennel of 3 active dogs, but they won't all be the same breed. One thing I truly enjoy is seeing a team of dogs made up of several different breeds. Each one brings something different to the field with them and I love them all. Wish I could change my screen name to KSbirddog. I wanted all brittanys as a youngster and I still think they are great dogs, but I want variety now. The Griffon is just too neat. He's a bit of an at your heel dog, but he's a retrieving machine and he points well too. The brittanys usually beat him to the live birds due to the fact that he doesn't range as much. I hunted behind 2 extraordinary GSPs this year and it made me miss my beloved shorthair/brittany cross that was my first bird dog. I bottle fed him when I was 11 years old and he died when I was 23 (I learned he had heartworms a little too late).

I apologize for the long post, but I sure do love the dogs and I love hearing stories about all of yours. If anyone hears of a litter of GSP/brittany cross pups being available, please let me know. I'd be willing to make quite a drive to get another one of those. Thanks in advance!

I've got it pared down to 11 setters right now, but I am supposed to be picking a pup up in North Dakota next week, so 12!

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't mean to edit your post there.....I was trying to reply:eek:

Do you actually hunt all of those dogs or do you just have that many pairs breeding?

gsp/brittany pups

10yo brittany, 7yo brittany, and a 3yo Griffon pointer. Time to start shopping for a pup. The wife wants the next one to be a shorthair and she wants it in the house. I think I'm ready for a GSP myself. In the future, I plan to maintain a kennel of 3 active dogs, but they won't all be the same breed. One thing I truly enjoy is seeing a team of dogs made up of several different breeds. Each one brings something different to the field with them and I love them all. Wish I could change my screen name to KSbirddog. I wanted all brittanys as a youngster and I still think they are great dogs, but I want variety now. The Griffon is just too neat. He's a bit of an at your heel dog, but he's a retrieving machine and he points well too. The brittanys usually beat him to the live birds due to the fact that he doesn't range as much. I hunted behind 2 extraordinary GSPs this year and it made me miss my beloved shorthair/brittany cross that was my first bird dog. I bottle fed him when I was 11 years old and he died when I was 23 (I learned he had heartworms a little too late).

I apologize for the long post, but I sure do love the dogs and I love hearing stories about all of yours. If anyone hears of a litter of GSP/brittany cross pups being available, please let me know. I'd be willing to make quite a drive to get another one of those. Thanks in advance!

if you go to www.outbackgundogs.com they had a litter of pups on sep. 28th dont know if he still has them. he is located in kansas and want $250 for them if you go to the web site click on the other dogs for sale and its at the bottom of the page hope i could help

KsBritt, not sure who you're directing your question at, but if it's me, I hunt all of my dogs. Of the 11, I have one 9 month old and one 5 month old that haven't gotten to hunt wild birds yet. Next year they should earn their stripes (spots).

KsBritt, not sure who you're directing your question at, but if it's me, I hunt all of my dogs. Of the 11, I have one 9 month old and one 5 month old that haven't gotten to hunt wild birds yet. Next year they should earn their stripes (spots).

Yes, I was directing that question toward you. You must spend a lot of hours in the field each season. I sure wish I spent enough hours in the field each season to necessitate 9 active dogs! Maybe someday I'll be so fortunate.....I just assumed you must be a breeder if you had that many in your kennel.

Dewey, It's a helluva time just trying to get in the bed with all those dogs. I like a cold room, but with all them dogs I'm sweating so bad I can't get a decent nights sleep. They all got to sleep at different angles and hog the pillows, and now they want me to sleep at the bottom of the bed! Them dogs are lucky I can't smell birds or there would be some changes around the house.

KsBrit, I am a breeder too. Some of the need for that number is to have dogs in evaluation, retirees, and the main string. Also, if you have fewer dogs it's pretty easy to come up short if you have several females bred, in heat, or dogs injured to make it through 25-40 days of hunting.

How does it work to have 2 dogs?

I have one Golden and have wanted to get another for a while. My wife does not want another dog at all.

My current Golden has a lot of energy, I think a play mate will help wear some of that off.

I was wondering if someone with two dogs can share some insight on the good and bad of having two dogs. Insight into training, lounging in the house, anything you want to share would be appreciated.

Both dogs would be kept in the home. I do have a finished basement they could stay in during the day.

Back