? How hot is too hot.

watermen

We've had a good bird hatch, but you western guys talk about too hot for the birds. It's been brutal here in SC Mo for over a week and yesterday driving around I saw brouds of poults in the shade in open pastures, little rabbits belly down in gravel roads in the shade and other unusual sights of stressed animals. (coyote standing in a pond 30 yds off the road at 2:00). Curious how hot is too hot for how long for quail?

Its not uncommon to have weeks of 100+ degree weather just after peak hatch around here but our birds have evolved with the climate out here. Hard to say how much is too much.

After a good early and mid summer quail (hopefully pheasants also) hatch I don't believe the current heat wave will hurt them yet. In addition, this time of year when cool or cold fronts are being pushed down by big high pressures from up north, muscling their way southward. At the same time the heat from the tropics are trying to make its last stand, its a battle zone. But the cool front will win and is a good friend to wildlife with showers this time of year.

We have to look at many variables leading up to this weeks heat wave. Overall Mo. most of Kansas, Oklahoma and N. Texas had timely summer rains with abundant green vegetation the first half of the summer that produced good cover a lots shade, protection from predator shade from the hot sun and an abundance on insects. The young quail should be in good shape.

Lets look at Wichita, Kansas for example, over the last 10 days Wichita had 7 days over 96 degrees. But they also had showers on 15 of August and on the 17, those showers were timely. As long as we get rain within 10 days of heat the birds should be in good shape. Plus a cool front with showers and Sept. 1 is on the way.

If you search the literature, bobwhite "can" start dying at temperatures of 103 in certain conditions. A lot has to do with the habitat and the ability of birds to find thermal cover as well as the age of the birds. I don't recall seeing a temperature on pheasants.

With the cover we have this year and the high heat not coming until after the major hatch time, I think we will be fine here.

Its all about water here in Arizona. This summer has been hot, but we have had plenty of rain in the last two weeks. Gambels are true desert Quail, as long as they have access to water the heat doesnt bother them.

Drought years with high heat, are really not a limiting factor on bobwhites, but the lack of habitat is. When I was a kid in Southeast Kansas, it was brutally hot, quail little and big were doing the dust shuffle in the road, along with the rabbits. Never had a problem with numbers....course we had dirt roads, lack of pesticide, limited fescue, milo, and lespedeza, everywhere, and no roundup! It must have been paradise but I was to young to savor it, like all youth, I believed it would stay that way forever!

Woody cover providing shade during these heat waves is also imperative in pheasant country.
During the heat of the day, grouse, quail, pheasants, and Huns will be hanging out under the brush and trees, no problem. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back