High velocity 20 Ga. shells?

ducksoup

I've noticed the trend in the last several years of the 12 ga. lead shot field ammo getting faster and faster with most all manufacturers making 1450fps to 1500fps loads. Most upland hunters love the extra speed and energy. Does anyone offer these faster loadings in a 20 ga.? I only see the old standard 1250fps to 1300fps. You'd think with the advances in smokeless powder technology this would have been a natural.

Federal makes their 20 ga. Pheasant Forever loads in 2 3/4" and 3" both at 1,350 fps. That's faster than any other factory loads to my knowledge. I've shot these in 12 ga for years and love them.

I have some Winchester copper plated that go out 1300. They work very well I am afraid to go faster for fear I'll blow the pattern. That could be an old wife tale on the pattern bit........Bob

I thought I saw some Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 20ga at or around 1500...you might check around.

I don't think anyone makes a lead 20 ga load in the 1400 fps or faster range. The Fiochii 3", 1 1/4 0z loads run 1200 fps, Winchester Super Pheasant loads of the same dimensions run 1250 fps. The Federal loads have a 1350 fps velocity, they tend to cost a bit more anyplace I have seen them.

Some 2 3/4" 20 ga loads may have a bit faster velocity, but the payload is 1 oz.

All that being said, I shoot the Fiochii GP or Win SP in 3" # 5 with great results out of my Benelli M1 with a factory IC choke.

I have some in my hand the labels reads; Winchester Super X Super Pheasant. 20 gauge 2 3/4 inches 1300 FPS, One (1) ounce of copper plated shot. I have them in 6's and 5's. The box is silver in color, with red print.......Bob

Kinda suprised somebody doesn't load a light payload in a 3 inch shell to get more speed. I'd think 1 1/8 in a 3 inch 20 gauge could be 1,400+

Kinda suprised somebody doesn't load a light payload in a 3 inch shell to get more speed. I'd think 1 1/8 in a 3 inch 20 gauge could be 1,400+

I very well could be wrong on this one but I will throw it out there anyway. I do not reload shot shells but, it is my understanding that the powder charge in a magnum 2 3/4 and a magnum 3in is the same. The benefit of the 3in is that you can get a greater shot load in them. Both are loaded to the max pressure deemed safe. Looking at Federals web site I see that a 2 3/4 and a 3 in 1oz shot shell has the same amount of powder and velocity. This leads me to believe I am correct. I am sure someone will point out that I am not. :)

I think chuck is right, the weight of the shot 1 1/8 ounce pushed up to that speed, could cause a pressure problem. You will notice most mag loads actually travel slower than the average 2 3/4 inch regular high base hunting load. This you will find is true in all gauges......Bob

Far as I know everyone--Federal, Winchester, remington, Kent--makes a 20 load in the 1350 fps range. I've had the best luck with remingtons nitro pheasant loads.

I'm not aware of anyone loading either 20 or 12 gauge LEAD loads to 1500 fps--I don't see why they would want to.

For STEEL yes a number of folks load that fast--there it has some practical purpose as the higher velocity overcomes some of the lack of energy that lighter steel pellets carry when compared to lead. I shoot more steel at pheasants these days and it's all over 1400 fps stuff. Remington again--nitro-steel in this case--works the best for me, better than lead in fact.

tmrichardson- you are right on the steel, I shoot Winchester Xpert in steel and they are 1550 fps in #4 -12ga. Out of my Benelli M2 they are deadly on pheasant.

Yes, I've found several steel loads in that 1400 to 1500 fps and that's why I don't understand why it can't be done with lead shot? I've used 1-1/8 oz 3" reloads at about 1250 fps that have worked in the past. I don't reload that much anymore but I would like to see some faster lead pheasent loads for the 20 ga. Maybe some day if the demand is there.

If interested in reloading , I use a 17.8 grains of Hogden Longshot -1oz of shot -Rem sp-20 wads- win. 209 primers. Excellent pheasant load , I make #5s for the top barrel and #6s for the bottom. I started using it last year and I love it.

Yes, I agree Pheasent89, I have been using that load for several years. It really does work very well. We are a lot alike in our hunting methods. I load my O/U the same way......Bob

Longshot must be a recent addition to Hodgdon's lineup? Also looks good out of the 12 ga. with 1-1/4 oz. loads. Gets you in that 1400+ fps catagory.

Sorry to tell you Longshot has been around for quite a while. It is one of the best powders Hodgdon makes. It is very versatile and works well. If you try to use in a gas operated auto. Like the Rem. 1100 and 11-87 don't it burns to slow. It will make your gun jam up with unburned powder. It is a bear cat to clean it all out, I know just ask me, I have a 11-87......Bob

Back