High velocity 20 Ga. shells?

I have an A-5 light in a 12ga. that I really enjoy but I just love hunting with a light 20. I have a Huglu 20ga. Redhead O/U and I'm looking for a Citori lightning in 20. I had one 15 years ago that I had to sell and I've regretted it ever since.

So to all those who use those fast Remington Nitro pheasant loads and the Federal Pheasant Forever loads are you paying $24-$25 bucks a box.............
If so that's way too rich for my blood. I shoot the Golden Pheasant at $13-14 slower but much less $$ and when you're on the birds and hit them they fall dead........... the roosters out at 50 -60 yds I'd need my 270 to kill anyway :)

So to all those who use those fast Remington Nitro pheasant loads and the Federal Pheasant Forever loads are you paying $24-$25 bucks a box.............
If so that's way too rich for my blood. I shoot the Golden Pheasant at $13-14 slower but much less $$ and when you're on the birds and hit them they fall dead........... the roosters out at 50 -60 yds I'd need my 270 to kill anyway :)

Federal PF loads are $12.95 at Walmart.

Wow, I'll check again, last time I was there they were big on 7 1/2 shot in 12 ga anything beyond that you were out of luck, but heck if there's any chance I'll be walking the aisles of wally world. I did check cheaper than dirt and they were $25 bucks.

Just checked again $16 bucks, not bad

Last edited:
I was at Cabela's in Olympia Monday and they had the Fiochi GP's in 2-3/4" 20's for 129.99 a case of 10 boxes. But than you'd have never got them out the door!!! They only had 5 of the 25 registers open and over 125 people in line. That's 25 people per register, figure a minimum of 2 minutes per transaction, 50 minutes to get out the door???? I told them "forget it" and went down the road to Wholesale Sports.

Walmart 20 Ga PF Federal :)

Federal PF loads are $12.95 at Walmart.

I really scored a big hit at Walmart in Brookings SD a week and a half ago.

They were clearing out all of their Pheasant ammo and had the Federal 20 ga PF #5 loads marked down to $9.99 per box. I bought 4 boxes! When I went to check out the girl scanned the shells and they came up @ $7.50 so I went back and bought all they had, 15 more boxes. I'm thinking I'm good for at least another season and a half maybe two. I only got to hunt 47 days this year, maybe do a little better next year.

I really scored a big hit at Walmart in Brookings SD a week and a half ago.

They were clearing out all of their Pheasant ammo and had the Federal 20 ga PF #5 loads marked down to $9.99 per box. I bought 4 boxes! When I went to check out the girl scanned the shells and they came up @ $7.50 so I went back and bought all they had, 15 more boxes. I'm thinking I'm good for at least another season and a half maybe two. I only got to hunt 47 days this year, maybe do a little better next year.

I guess I am heading to Walmart tomorrow.

Count me one of the old duffers who has been shooting pheasants for more than forty years who just shakes his head at posts like this. I have always shot the traditional stuff at about 1200 fps. How much deader would the birds be if I hit them with 1400 fps loads. I know my shoulder would know the difference. I doubt the roosters would. In any case they'd be in no position to make any comments.

I THINK the value of extra speed is to give you that extra distance because of the obvious that the shot slows down so that the extra 200 fps could maybe give you an extra 10 yds of killing power

Its pattern density not velocity that limits effectiveness at long range. It is generally understood that higher velocities actually worsen patterns. Given that, higher velocities might actually make killing effectiveness at long range worse not better.
Actually most would say the higher velocity requires a shorter lead and therefore one is less likely to shoot behind. Might be something to that but higher velocity won't make a bad shooter any better. Mostly the higher velocity craze is an off shoot of steel shot needs. You actually don't need any more velocity than about 1200 fps to kill effectively at all practical ranges using lead shot.

Back