HeviShot Pheasant

wingseeker

Gotta give a serious THUMBS UP for HeviShot Pheasant....it has got to
be the best non-tox shell on the market for Pheasants...

Hevi shot duck or goose is a better load in my opinion. Why they load a pheasant load lighter I'll never understand.

Hevi shot isn't the only game in town for premium non tox loads either.

Wingseeker:

I am can't help but notice about the only thing you post about is HeviShot, do you work for Hevishot by chance? Not that there is anything wrong with that if you do.

Hevi shot reps have been known to run around different boards spaming as they go.

Ya, that was the reason for my question. On some of the waterfowl forums, there are reps that make it sound like you can't kill goose, unless you "X shell, newflanged choke, and the latest model gun". Of course none of them admit to being reps. Spam is everywhere, sometimes we just don't see if for what it is...

Ya, that was the reason for my question. On some of the waterfowl forums, there are reps that make it sound like you can't kill goose, unless you "X shell, newflanged choke, and the latest model gun". Of course none of them admit to being reps. Spam is everywhere, sometimes we just don't see if for what it is...

:cheers: My sentiments exactly, I don't believe I need an elephant shell to bag a rooster. I do see a bunch of nimrods shoot out of range geese with "hevi-shot", with a bunch of cripples to boot.

I tried two different 20ga Hevi-shot loads last year. First was the Hevi Shot Pheasant 7/8oz #6 (all Hevi Shot). The other was the HeviMetal pheasant load of 7/8 #5 (half Hevi Shot and half steel).

The Pheasant load didn't pattern that great. Not terrible, but OK. Performance on birds was decent. Not as good as a lead load of 7/8oz, but again, OK.

The HeviMetal pheasant load pattern was not quite as good as the full load of hevishot. However, the performance on birds seemed better than the full Hevi Shot load. When I was dressing out the birds (5), I found a total of 4 Hevi Shot pellets and 22 steel pellets. Not sure why there was that big of a discrepancy.

The only reason I used these in the first place is several of the placed I hunt are non-tox only. I will not buy any more of the Pheasant (all Hevi Shot) loads again. ~$3/round just doesn't make any sense to me. I want to try some of the 1oz HeviMetal loads and see how they pattern. I will also try and pattern a few different non-tox loads this summer. There has to be something that patterns well, knocks them down, and doesn't break the bank in the process.

JMHO of course.

Too Much

Heavy shot is good but way too expensive. In my world, there is nothing wrong with lead except politicians. The last time I looked, there was lead on this planet when it was formed. The little that is used for hunting and fishing doesn't make any difference.

It is a created problem we have to deal with. Good steel loads work.

Lock and Load! :D

I use two types of nontoxic loads in my 28 gauge -- RST Nice Shot and HeviShot Classic Doubles. I get a better performance out of the RSTs.

I need to buy a box of the 2and a half inch nice shot from Rst for my 16ga. That stuff is not cheap but no other options for non tox.

Since I primarily hunt public in SD and Federal land in MN I use almost all steel. I've been using the cheap ($10-$12 a box) Winchester 1550fps 4 shot steel with great success. I do buy a couple boxes of Prairie Storm number 5 lead for when I hit an occasional WMA. My success is about the same with each.

Article (deleted URL/link on 6-20-14) looks like it was back from 2008. May want to consider trying Kent TM if you're not wanting to shoot steel. I plan on using some in 20 ga #5 shot for ducks and/or pheasants. Haven't patterned it or hunted with it yet though.

Last edited:
:10sign:
http://www.randywakeman.com/NoBarrelDamageNoTox.htm

Article looks like it was back from 2008. May want to consider trying Kent TM if you're not wanting to shoot steel. I plan on using some in 20 ga #5 shot for ducks and/or pheasants. Haven't patterned it or hunted with it yet though.

I have used it, for 4 years, I think it is O.K., sure not lead! I would use #3 shot for ducks, I use #BBB for geese. Pheasants are just fine with #5. I have gone to "nice shot", now because I am perilously low on Kent Tungsten-Matrix. It was discontinued 3 years ago so it was in short supply, but, I hear they are manufacturing again this year. It does fine in pre-steel chokes, at advertised choke. By the way it is expensive, between 3-5 per shot! I remember when I went to Revco and bought a box of 3-1-8's for $2.00 a box!

Cabelas.com currently has it available. I just received a response from customer service today that they are anticipating the 20 gauge 3" #5 shot to be available on August 25th if Kent gets it to them.

oldandnew, how does the TM pattern out of your shotgun?

Cabelas.com currently has it available. I just received a response from customer service today that they are anticipating the 20 gauge 3" #5 shot to be available on August 25th if Kent gets it to them.

oldandnew, how does the TM pattern out of your shotgun?

It patterns very good, in fact a little better than lead. My less than being completely sold, it the penetration as compared to lead. I have needed to shoot crippled waterfowl, and had dogs have to run down pheasants with #5's in a twenty. I use Fiochi Golden pheasant in areas where I can, everything drops dead, pheasant-wise. But for waterfowl, the Tungsten-Matrix is a LOT better than steel. I have had to use more size in "nice shot", for waterfowl, and down grade the choke to improved cylinder, so a load with #2 or BB's in a 12 ga. is a good solution to fairly tight patterns. That works even for extreme range but I tried to keep to a 40 yard shots or closer.

oldandnew,

Here's another article (deleted link/url on 6-20-14) that shows penetration of TM/Nice Shot, Lead, and Steel. It suggests that the 3" 1 1/8 20 ga TM #5 load has basically the same gel penetration as the 3" 1 1/4 20 ga lead #5 load at 40 yards. The main difference between that lead load and the Tungsten Matrix #5 load looks like total pellet count (about 20 pellets). Might not seem like a bid difference, but I'm guessing the pellet count could be part of the reason you've experienced more runners with TM than lead.

Have you experienced less runners while pheasant hunting or cripples while duck hunting by using the Tungsten Matrix #3 load? Do you have an idea of the total pellet count in that load?

I just recently purchased a 20 gauge BUL and plan to use it on pheasants this year. I might also use it on ducks.

Last edited:
Back