Hettinger,ND or Mobridge,SD?

woodsman

Hi,I got a chance to hunt either one of these places,but can only do one hunt and I've heard good things about both.I use to hunt eastern north dakota,the praire pothole areas, so these two places will be a big change.Which place offers the most opportunity for birds,public land and access to private without big fees,any help will be greatly appreciated.

I've never hunted in Hettinger....but in driving through it seems like "Cannonball" has leased & posted everything!! :eek:

I've hunted private land in the Hettinger (Mott) area once. I'd never seen so many birds at the time, nor have I seen so many since. I've never hunted the Mobridge area, but I've hunted around Huron on private land, on 2 different occasions. These experiences have been sprinkled over a 6 or 7 year time-span, but the #'s we witnessed in SD do not/did not compare to what we saw in Mott, ND.

Also, ND is a bit more remote from what I saw. The people are friendly and the spaces seem even more wide open. I'll echo what another poster said above though, Cannonball (outfitter) has a LOT of land leased up; I probably wouldn't hunt there unless I was invited by someone who owns or has access to land there. I cannot speak for public opportunities in the area as we didn't hunt any public land.

Woodsman, when you say you have a chance to hunt either, do you mean you have a place to hunt in either location?

If you have someplace to hunt in Hettinger county, basically we are talking the Mott/Regent area, then go for it, more phez than you can shoot in a lifetime.

While even though Hettinger county has lost some CRP acreage over the last few years, there is still enough to hold lots of pheasants. Some public ground is available, but so to will be the extra pressure that goes with public ground in a Pheasant rich environment.

Have not hunted Mobridge but based on what the SDG&F is saying, the numbers there appear good as well.

If you won't be hunting Private land I would take a look at the amount of public land in each area and make your decision off that. The bulk of Private land hunting in those areas (especially Mott/Regent) will no doubt carry a trespass fee.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that Hettinger the town is 1.5 - 2 hrs. south of Mott/Regent. I have hunted both areas. As has been pointed out, the Mott/Regent area has phenomenal pheasant numbers but is quite commercialized/pay to play. There are PLOTS (public walk-in) areas around. What I've done is a combination of hunting PLOTS land with a day or two of paid hunting on private ground - just to experience those incredible numbers.

The area around the town of Hettinger is also very good, with more sharp tails thrown into the mix. The pheasant numbers are not what you will experience around Mott/Regent, but still better than most! I personally prefer the landscape around Mott/Regent, and Mott is a nice little town.

I have not hunted Mobridge but have heard good things about it, and it sounds like SD is set for an excellent season. If you have a place to hunt there I would not overlook Mobridge - it sounds like it is still excellent hunting and is not in the most heavily hunted and commercialized areas of SD.

Thanks for replies...

We just have a house to stay at in Hettinger no private land and it sounds like public lands will be hunted hard.I didn't realize the Cannonball company controlled so much land and I just don't have the extra bucks - newly retired this past year.Seems like Mobridge has a decent amount of public land,along with ditches and property lines,might give that a try ,it will all be fun.Thanks again

Back