Here's pic from a SoDak harvest

Looks like a good area to start road hunting!:D

Road hunting next to one of these pay to hunt operations is not all that good as the crops stop short of the ditches by 50 yards or more and the ditches themselves are very clean and even burned out so that the birds will not be there. :(

Then there is the harrasment you get if they see you road hunting in the area and God help you if they think you have broken a rule--its off to court for you to defend youself if you can.:(:

I watched over the years as this cancer called pay to hunt has over taken most of South Dakota and it all started in southern Brule and northern Charles Mix counties.

You can't fault any single land owner for charging to hunt because it may be the one thing that saves the family farm, but put it all together and it really really sucks. Just where is the local car mechanic or the guy who works at the local downtown store go to hunt---there are VERY few places for them.

Well enough of this RANT

I am so very lucky to be in a position where I have private land to make into my Pheasant Heaven and I do share it as much as I can.:):)

Road hunting next to one of these pay to hunt operations is not all that good as the crops stop short of the ditches by 50 yards or more and the ditches themselves are very clean and even burned out so that the birds will not be there. :(

Then there is the harrasment you get if they see you road hunting in the area and God help you if they think you have broken a rule--its off to court for you to defend youself if you can.:(:

I watched over the years as this cancer called pay to hunt has over taken most of South Dakota and it all started in southern Brule and northern Charles Mix counties.

You can't fault any single land owner for charging to hunt because it may be the one thing that saves the family farm, but put it all together and it really really sucks. Just where is the local car mechanic or the guy who works at the local downtown store go to hunt---there are VERY few places for them.

Well enough of this RANT

I am so very lucky to be in a position where I have private land to make into my Pheasant Heaven and I do share it as much as I can.:):)

Jim, I hear you loud and clear. I have said much the same thing as you have for a long time myself.

Shooting or hunting??

Went to the Torrey Hunt web site and investigated the prices for this hunt: ONLY $1028.00 PER DAY! What A STEAL! They don't indicate if tax is on top of this number...Apparently they will only take 12 or more hunters at a time.

Went to the Torrey Hunt web site and investigated the prices for this hunt: ONLY $1028.00 PER DAY! What A STEAL! They don't indicate if tax is on top of this number...Apparently they will only take 12 or more hunters at a time.

Possible mandatory tips for all their help also.

They shoot a ton of birds there. This is one of many pics from there I have seen. Some in the 200 range. There are a lot of wild birds there, but as noted I am sure some birds with big nostrils as well. I say too each their own. It is not my cup of tea, but then again I live here and do not have that much disposable income. Alot of these guys only hunt here once a year and it is a bragging trip when they get back to their big city office or wherever they go. No matter what anyone thinks, I bet the dogs love it. I know they hunt with around 5 or more on average per day. They don't know how much of a joke it is. I love pics like these, just like the Kongo on opening weekend, looks just like a LL Bean and Cabelas photo shoot.

Large pay to hunt operations

One other thing about the really large operations like this. They get large by buying land when it comes up for sale. If they want it you can not out bid them and stay in business. This drives up land prices and TAXES. I will not name names but several of these out of area guys are not very well liked by people in the local communities.

I have no quarrel with preserves. In many areas it's all thats left. I think the thing that nags at those of us who practice the sport of wild bird hunting, is why in the world would anybody need to run a preserve in SD of all places, and why any real sportsman would travel a great distance to shoot pheasants under such conditions?

In my experiences, guys who travel that far to hunt pen birds really don't realize the difference between a wild bird vs. pen bird and if they did I really don't think it would matter to them.:)

They head out there for a "hunting vacation" not a hunting trip. Pen birds, wild bird? It doesn't matter.

I personally have nothing against big hunts like that either. I'm not one to partake in one, but have at it. They want to spend that kind of $ on hunting pheasants have fun. :)

Last edited:
Torrey Lake Lodge is owned by a Sioux Falls business man who is big in Safari Club International. It is a preserve, but lots of wild birds. Lots of preserves let rootis only out of the pen. The owner has a lot of connections. These guys look like they may be from Texas. Not cheap, but I think he is known for running a decent operation.

me and brother were hunting in platte when a trailer with like 100 bird pull up down the street. after a couple hours we were going to lunch a limo pull up with a group of hunters. as we were driving down the road it cover with birds they were walking up to the truck as we past by. we stopped and i think the birds thought we were there to feed them. wild my @ss

Whatever you may think, it is a means of supporting the SD economy. I'd love to have the opportunities that many UPH members have. Unfortunately, I live in NC where there are really no wild birds anymore. Grew up in Pa hunting wild birds but they were mostly gone by the time I hit my twenties. Now, the only way my GSPs would normally get to see birds is to either pay to hunt preserves or pay to travel. For me, it is completely about my dogs, if I shoot 20 birds a year it's a lot. So in order for my dogs to do what they love, I have to accept I either pay in cash or pay in my own time. So, I guide on preserves here in NC -my main dog is 3 yrs. old, he's seen over 4,000 birds and has over 3000 shot over him. He's a machine and he's my pal.

Many of my clients wanted to set up a trip to SD, so that's what I did. I'll be there for 10 days, I get to shoot 1. My dad and I will guide for 9 other days and their groups will shoot. With family, bills and my real job, it's the only way I'd ever get to have the experience. More importantly, my dogs get the experience. So, be thankful you live so close and have these opportunities but don't knock the preserve crowd. For many of us, it's the only way for us to do what we so thoroughly love to do.

Well said. Must be lonely for some on this thread way up on that pedestal:rolleyes:;)

Sounds good! I'll PM you about it later:D:D:D:cheers:

Back