Here's pic from a SoDak harvest

onpoint

I seen this on another site I frequent. Thought it was a good conversation piece. Said to be from this year.

They had 7 guides. Defiantly a preserve operation. 178 birds harvested

PHOTO_11232673_124340_16561928_main.jpg

Conversation piece indeed. PETA is gonna love that one when they find it:rolleyes:

I don't see a single hen....seems hens are in every preserve pic I see.

Wasteful in my opinion. Sure those guys probably paid big bucks for the privilege. So you can't have a good day shooting 3 or 5 you have to shoot 10 or 12. There is no way some of those birds don't end up in the trash with freezer burn.

A round of sporting clays and working my dogs for a few hours and I'd call it a stellar day. Guess I'm out of touch.

and really, what does this prove? the rewards for me are wild birds, tough hunting, great dog work and birds earned..... anyone can write a cheque.

Come on guys if you go there they will pick you up at the airport in a 16 passenger Hummer limo.

onpoint, out of curiosity what is the other site you go to?

I have a friend who goes on a hunt like this with his dad's company. Last year when they were done. The bill was over $30,000 for the group. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

and really, what does this prove? the rewards for me are wild birds, tough hunting, great dog work and birds earned..... anyone can write a cheque.

I agree with you...quite frankly I think that is embarrassing to the real hunter. Why not go to the store and get a chicken to eat. That is not hunting...it is shooting. Big difference....I am sorry to say that there are people that like this stuff...but not me...

I agree with you...quite frankly I think that is embarrassing to the real hunter. Why not go to the store and get a chicken to eat. That is not hunting...it is shooting. Big difference....I am sorry to say that there are people that like this stuff...but not me...

i am not so much down on it, although it looks a little tacky, it just isn't for me. most of my photos are of the dogs on point or retrieving, for most serious hunters, who go more than once or twice a season, it is really all about the challenge of the hunt and the dog work...that is what real memories are made of, not just a pile of birds....also kind of reminds me of a driven shoot across the pond, where some bird boy keeps loading the Purdey side by side and passing it to you as you simply stand and pass shoot the birds driven over head by the drivers.........God, how boring could that be? give me a rough shooting situation and let me and the dog walk 'em up, now that is sporting!

Last edited:
So what if I showed a picture of 10 guys with 150 dead doves that they shot in one evening?

Bacon? I go for a mustard/mayo and garlic glaze. Bacon, how barbaric.

Hunter, thats the point guys shoot that many doves and we think nothing of it. So some guys pay 3500 bucks and shoot pen raised birds. Not my thing but to each there own.

Bacon? I go for a mustard/mayo and garlic glaze. Bacon, how barbaric.

Hunter, thats the point guys shoot that many doves and we think nothing of it. So some guys pay 3500 bucks and shoot pen raised birds. Not my thing but to each there own.

Excelent! Very well put. It takes all kinds of people to make this world. I personally looked down on the people that did the pen raised thing. not any more i realized that it can be a great training tool. Would I ever shoot that many? Probably not because it would take me 4 shells to one bird.

Straight shooting!
Scott

Excelent! Very well put. It takes all kinds of people to make this world. I personally looked down on the people that did the pen raised thing. not any more i realized that it can be a great training tool. Would I ever shoot that many? Probably not because it would take me 4 shells to one bird.

Good post!!! I myself would not have as much fun on a hunt like that. But I will not put down those that do enjoy that. As long as the birds were taken legally Iâ??m glad they had a great time. And hopefully someone on the big corporate hunt for their first time get hooked on it and wants to go more. Our sport of hunting is dying and if this will get more people out doing it and supporting it so be it!

This reminds me of all the pics I've seen with fish stacked like cordwood. Fishing is on life support now, at least here in California where the salmon population is about to become extinct.

If you want to support the sport then enhance habitat and conservation. Barrel shooting does neither. JMHO

Back