Here's my trips I've planned for fall.

Bob Peters

Montana sharp tailed grouse. South Dakota sharp tailed grouse. After roosters open South Dakota pheasants and grouse west river. Maybe find a partridge along the way. January pheasants in Huron area. Iowa quail and roosters in SW iowa, try for my 1st quail.

Mn prairie prairie chicken if I hit the lottery. MN duck hunting🤞(I never went last year, found a good spot but too worried about other hunters). MN dove. NE SD pheasant trip w/buddies. Every weekend open hunt MN/IA pheasant.

Disclaimer: the first paragraph is more of a pipe dream 🙃. I'm pretty good at planning out hunts I never get to go on. It's fun to dream though. The 2nd paragraph is already greenlit 🥳.

Here is my greenlit schedule so far, sept 4-8 and Oct 2-6 are dusky grouse in southern Colorado with an outside chance for a suicide run to Wyoming for sage grouse. First week of November I’m east river South Dakota chasing prairie birds, then returning home to open seasons for Texas/nm/ok quail through feb 10. Can’t wait! Going to be a 5 state year for sure, maybe 6. No plans for Kansas this year.

I’m planning a Montana trip in October pheasant, Huns and sharps. All though by that time sharps are tough. I’ll hit Kansas in Nov, Dec. possibly Nebraska. The quail situation here in Ok is looking up. I’ve seen several broods. More than the last few years for sure. Anything can happen though, but I’m hopeful.

As usual I will be doing the MT/ND trip this fall. Probably earlier this year as it looks like I will have a pup to pick up in early October. Than heading south, maybe Nebraska, but definitely going to try for desert quail more this year.

Montana sharp tailed grouse. South Dakota sharp tailed grouse. After roosters open South Dakota pheasants and grouse west river. Maybe find a partridge along the way. January pheasants in Huron area. Iowa quail and roosters in SW iowa, try for my 1st quail.

Mn prairie prairie chicken if I hit the lottery. MN duck hunting🤞(I never went last year, found a good spot but too worried about other hunters). MN dove. NE SD pheasant trip w/buddies. Every weekend open hunt MN/IA pheasant.

Disclaimer: the first paragraph is more of a pipe dream 🙃. I'm pretty good at planning out hunts I never get to go on. It's fun to dream though. The 2nd paragraph is already greenlit 🥳.
You need to go to northern Saskatchewan in late October.

WY for Sage Grouse Sept 27
Western Oregon for another attempt to kill a Mountain Quail Oct 17th I'm zero for two so far.
Eastern Oregon for pheasants, quail and chukar Oct 23
Eastern Oregon for pheasants, quail and chukar Nov 20
Eastern Oregon pheasants, quail and chukar Dec 17

Utah chukar in my spare time from now until February

WY for Sage Grouse Sept 27
Western Oregon for another attempt to kill a Mountain Quail Oct 17th I'm zero for two so far.
Eastern Oregon for pheasants, quail and chukar Oct 23
Eastern Oregon for pheasants, quail and chukar Nov 20
Eastern Oregon pheasants, quail and chukar Dec 17

Utah chukar in my spare time from now until February
Chucker hunting is brutal work!

The dogs and I are heading to Habitat Flats in Summer Missouri October 2 to train for a few days and get acclimated to the climate and terrain. And then we are off to Sedalia Missouri to compete in the National Derby Retriever Championship starting October 6th!

Then western SD for opener
Probably a couple trips to ND waterfowling (migration/weather dependent)
Then as many trips to central SD as weather permits
Finishing off the season for ducks in Oklahoma/Texas

No trip to Saskatchewan this year as Missouri is taking its place.

Opening weekend in central Iowa. Will go back at least once to make buying my license less painful. At least two trips to central SD and hunting everyday that I feel like it in Nebraska.

Back