Hello and Thank You !

Buckshot

First all, Thanks looks like a bunch of useful info here !

I have a unique thing happening at my work, I will be getting the first 2 weeks in November off .....

I would like to go out to the mid West pheasant hunting (wild birds). I have a 5 year old English Setter, and all we can/have hunted is released birds (western NY between Rochester and Buffalo). The state releases birds (way to many hunters in those fields on the weekends) and going to a bird farm where they place the birds out 10 minutes before you get there kinda sucks ! (alot of my fun hunting birds is watching my dog work)

So my question is where to go ..... on maybe public land ? maybe a ranch (don't mind paying a fair price) ?

I would like to keep my trip in the truck 12-13 hours max ..... which gets me to Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin. I do have a few friends in Montana that I could hook up with, just don't want to have to drive that far.

Thank You for any and all advice !

With two weeks off, I would make the longer drive, broken up into two days out and two back, and go to SD. You could hunt the remainder of your time on one license. Travel around the state exploring and hunting. SD publishes a hunting atlas showing locations of public access lands and along the way you might meet people with private land they'll let you hunt. Iowa has decent numbers of birds in certain locations, but the best opportunity will be SD.

With two weeks off, I would make the longer drive, broken up into two days out and two back, and go to SD. You could hunt the remainder of your time on one license. Travel around the state exploring and hunting. SD publishes a hunting atlas showing locations of public access lands and along the way you might meet people with private land they'll let you hunt. Iowa has decent numbers of birds in certain locations, but the best opportunity will be SD.

Thanks, I know that my dog won't eat while on the road so was trying to keep the driving to a minimum

But, South Dakota looks/sounds like the place for birds

Thanks, I know that my dog won't eat while on the road so was trying to keep the driving to a minimum

But, South Dakota looks/sounds like the place for birds

First off, welcome to UPH.

I made the drive to SD from Ca last season and let me tell you, it is worth it!

welcome to uph. south Dakota is the place to be.

...so they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly...Hills that is...black gold...texas tea

Sorry, couldn't resist getting my Texas plug in there!:p

South Dakota has always been my Dream ..... So with all the advice I think I will go all the way there (just do it in in 2 days), it is a 18-20 hour ride.

Best place for info ? http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/ ?

any other advice is welcome, Jake says Thanks !

picture.php

My setter, two dogs ago, wouldn't eat when away from home. Camping, bird hunting weekends, pheasants in SD, I'd have to put the dish down next to my feet and stand there so she'd eat it. She was a bird machine and didn't display any other negative impacts from traveling. The last two haven't had any issue. When they're hungry, they eat, period.

Either of the Dakotas

Don't discount North Dakota. Have been going to the Regent - Mott area since 09' and I would rank it as good as South Dakota. Plenty of birds in that area as well. You can also start right away in the morning and you won't have to wait until 10:00 a.m. to start.

Just my .02

Back