Heavy rain last night

haymaker

Big rain in my area last night, we had 4.1 inches and I heard Roscoe had 6. Road washed out north of Ipswich and many township roads had water going over them. Grateful for rain but the timing probably is not good.

Didn’t realize that much had fallen. Just texted a contact north of Ipswich and he said they had 6” up there. Not what crops or birds needed.

guessing there were more areas that got less than 6 inches than those that did.
pretty common every year that some areas get some heavy weather, soggy for now.

Just across the Big Sioux in Iowa, we got .65", the best rain we have had in over a month. It is so dry, that it won't do much.

I haven't had a good rain since Memorial Day. It has rained a bunch of times in June/July, but never more than about 0.25 inches at a time. We could use one of those big ones that are inches at a time here in east-central MN.

Have talked to three people so far and reports are from 1” to 3.5” and no hail to not sure how much but some hail. All in about a 20-25 mile range for all 3 reports. Pretty typical but was glad to hear not as much hail as what I thought may be atleast for the people I spoke with.

Just talked to 4 farmers in my areas…pretty bad, but no big hail…lots of rain and some wind damage. 96 mph wind at Huron airport…lots of damage up there…✝️

Last edited:
SD is getting more rain than Iowa would normally receive this year. We did get another 6 tenths or so today, maybe things are changing here. Really need a couple inches to really soak in and save this corn crop.

A5, I am guessing you got in on this rain today.

Did get a picture of hail damage that wiped out a corn field. North central part of SD. Fairly small area in the grand scheme of things thankfully.

Not a drop here in the Twin Cities. All of the heavy rain is heading north or south. Getting old I'll tell you...

What's really strange is that the St Cloud area is running about a 7 inch surplus of rain and the Twin Cities is about 4 inches behind. That's over a 10 inch difference and they're only 60 miles apart.

Last edited:
Apparently the storm that blew across southeastern SD, southwestern MN, and northern IA last night was a derecho, which is defined as a wind event that is at least 240 miles long and has sustained winds of at least 58 mph.

4.7 inches in a little over an hour in Garretson SD. Lots of wind, but no damage for us. Nothing left for the storms to wreck from the one 6 weeks ago.

Back