heartworm pills/ flea and tic

birdybritt529

just wondering if everyone spends the money and gets the expensive heart worm from the vet or you think the cheaper stuff is just as good. I have been giving my dog Interceptor for heart worm and vectra 3d for flea and tic. can anyone suggest something for heart worm. I recently heard of shut down on all kinds of pet meds including interceptor. what do you guys use for flea and tic? thanks

Go to the Farm store or you can order online and buy 1% Ivomec in a 50ml bottle. Same active ingredient (Ivermectin) that is in Heartguard. Costs roughly $30 give or take, but will last 1-3 dogs for 3+years, which is about what the expiration period is. Dosed at 1/10th of 1cc per 10 lbs of body weight once a month. This dosage also protects from other parasites as well. So as an example a 50-60 lb dog would get ½ (.5) a CC or you could even get by with ¼ (.2) of a CC and still protect from heartworm.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07552-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

**** Note -- even though you use a syringe to measure the dosage, it is NOT injected. You simply squirt it on a piece of food (I use a piece of bread) and give it to the dog.

You can ask your vet about this dosage, but your vet cannot recommend Ivomec by law as it is not marketed for dogs, but it's the same ingredient. Many, Many breeders use this for treating a kennel full of dogs.

For Flea and Ticks you have many to choose from. Frontline Plus, K9 Avantix, or what I use for ticks only, Preventic collars.

Last edited:
Go to the Farm store or you can order online and buy 1% Ivomec in a 50ml bottle. Same active ingredient (Ivermectin) that is in Heartguard. Costs roughly $30 give or take, but will last 1-3 dogs for 3+years, which is about what the expiration period is. Dosed at 1/10th of 1cc per 10 lbs of body weight once a month. This dosage also protects from other parasites as well. So as an example a 50-60 lb dog would get ½ (.5) a CC or you could even get by with ¼ (.2) of a CC and still protect from heartworm.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07552-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

**** Note -- even though you use a syringe to measure the dosage, it is NOT injected. You simply squirt it on a piece of food (I use a piece of bread) and give it to the dog.

You can ask your vet about this dosage, but your vet cannot recommend Ivomec by law as it is not marketed for dogs, but it's the same ingredient. Many, Many breeders use this for treating a kennel full of dogs.

For Flea and Ticks you have many to choose from. Frontline Plus, K9 Avantix, or what I use for ticks only, Preventic collars.

I use cattle ivomec as well. Birdybritt, I got it at the Fleet Farm store in your city. It was $35. I have 3 dogs (for now) and I haven't put a dent in the bottle. It will expire before I use it all. The bottle is good until 2015.

Last edited:
Heart worm medicine nearly killed my dog. The afternoon after getting his last treatment he looked for all the world like he had a stroke. Couldn't stand, couldn't eat. Falling over, looked like one side of his body had gone paralyzed.

Canine vestibular disease which is linked to heart worm meds.

We had to hand feed him, hand water him for weeks and he slowly crawled out of the stroke like symptoms.

I won't give another dog heart worm meds again.

I go with what the vet recommends: oral heart worm med and Frontline.

Last edited:
I have 3 setters, if I had anymore than that then I would go the Ivermec way...now, OTC vet Heartworm.
Flea/Tick...find what works for you...I prefer Frontline TopSpot as the Plus is really for an established flea issue sought to be controlled.

I have 3 setters, if I had anymore than that then I would go the Ivermec way...now, OTC vet Heartworm.
Flea/Tick...find what works for you...I prefer Frontline TopSpot as the Plus is really for an established flea issue sought to be controlled.

Not totally true.

Q. What is the difference between Frontline Plus and Frontline Top Spot?

A.Frontline Top Spot and Frontline Plus both contain fipronil, so they offer the same killing activity against adult fleas and ticks. However, Frontline Plus also contains an ingredient called methoprene, which kills flea eggs and larvae. Frontline Plus controls all stages of the flea life cycle, and aids in environmental control of fleas. Owners generally report much better flea control when using Frontline Plus.

Yes....what I implied....the eggs and larvae are controlled with the Plus.

If one does not have a problem with a flea infestation(dog or environment) or is staggering under a deposition of eggs and larvae then the Plus is money down the river.
This from my experience and advice from a vet(a swell vet)...odd in that vets sell the Plus, by and large, as that product is higher-priced, better for the worst case which is what a lot of vets see(and clients want answers, dammit) and most folks with a dog holding fleas or worried about fleas will take the strongest route out of the problem.
Marketing, fear and, human concern for our pets sells product...at times, so does need.
At those times, I have also used the Plus....either when I have had a very rare flea issue(we have had up to 4 dogs and 9 cats on the place...and the cats are always the carriers here) or am traveling to a known flea/tick area and seek a bit o' extra oomph.

Baisically, I also hold a deep concern but choose to use the minimum in both cost and possible negative interaction twixt dog and drug over Time.
You may choose differently....the world is nice that way.

Hmmm.
Not totally true, eh?
I presently have 3 setters, I would go the Ivo way if I reached my own economic/ease tipping point, everyone should find what works for them and...I prefer TopSpot.
The egg, larvae, infestation and special circumstances angles were mentioned before.
Perhaps not understood.

Whenever we humans spend extra or high money on cars, cartridges or crates of flea treatments we seldom fall to believing or even admitting that we have not made the wisest decision or are getting our money's worth in exchange.
That is human nature and I reckon partly why better flea control is reported with the Plus...along with many never trying something else, of course.
There is also the likelyhood that Plus does work "better" for some, as all our conditions are different....or another companies' offering is the bee's knees for someone.

I have found that it is very easy to jump on board with whatever the message board train is carrying and not give full consideration to another track.
I have also found that truth and honest opinion is very important to many of us.
Have a good and healthy upcoming bird season.
I got a pot boiling.

Last edited:
i just ordered 6 months worth of proheart off the internet had been using heartguard this stuff waqs cheaper i had used it years ago dogs never have had heartworms so i guess its ok

Frontline Plus or Frontline Top Spot? It's really kind of a mute issue as the price difference is only about $1 per dose. With only 2 dogs a buck a dose isn't going to make or break the bank. :)

Sure, money can mean very different things to very different people.
Also good that money was not my only reason to go TopSpot, as I mentioned.
But...

Last edited:
For Heartworms, i use the duravet apple flavored horse syringe (Ivermectin). Two clicks on my finger and put on the roof of their mouth. $3.99 for a tube/syringe and it lasts for 2 months with 9 dogs.

Frontline plus for fleas/ticks. Those preventic tick collars are good.

Back