Headed to SD for the new year.

Crusaderhunter

For the second year my son and I are headed north to South Dakota for an end of the season hunt. Last year was great. This year we are taking a few friends to hunt public land 1/1/15 - 1/3/15. We are going to stay in Parkston. I hope we can get our friends into some birds.

Is there any snow on the ground?

If you are out and you see a group from Kansas stop and say hello..

Mike

Dress warm and there will be snow on the ground. It is soft and unless it blows or warms and crusts it will be ok. North and west sides have banks.

returned on 12/21 from most recent trip...hunting was great! conditions were great! coming back on wednesday...weather gonna be in the 20's for highs thud-sat, the days I am hunting...can't beat that! have been out the past two years right after the 1st of the year...2012 had deep snow, and 2013 had some wind and cold, probably some snow, can't recall...this year should be better than either of the past two years! can't wait! good luck to you all who are making it out..happy 2015!

I'm kinda jealous right now;)

Safe travels/hunting.
Nick

Just got back from plank area. There's some existing snow that had freezing rain on it on Friday, then a fresh couple inches on Friday night. My dogs feet took a beating on this trip. No cuts, just wore the pads thin. Still tip toeing around today. Lots of birds still though.

We just returned from that exact area and it was tough. Birds in the thick cattail sloughs waist to neck high and did not see many. We saw more birds north of Mitchell. If your set on that area I would knock on a lot of doors and ask for permission. Good luck

-7 this am and -15 tonight in the western 1/2....
Might be a tad cold for those unprepared or with wimpy short-hared dogs, not to mention the added stress on the birds.

Just returned from a 3 day trip in north central SD. Was fortunate to have beautiful weather and saw 500+ birds every day as they were bunched up in cattails adjacent to picked corn. It was tough to work certain areas with 2 hunters / 2 dogs walking together as they would bust out ahead but had better results splitting up and trying to pinch the birds. The private land we got access to took a handshake and a genuine conversation. It was one of the most memorable hunts that I have ever experienced......till next year.

agree with springer

same thing springer said 500 plus bird days. awesome with 2 sons. dogs feet are worn thin also. snow on ground 3 to 5 inches. 15 below this am. bring all the warm gear you got. best of luck happy new year

those huge flushes of multiple birds are fun to witness when it is colder than hell...but i keep going back to the October hunts when i got great dog work on single roosters and points and shots off the end of my barrel, wearing a short sleeve shirt with highs in the upper 60's........and a cold beer on the drive back to the room...:thumbsup:

Back