Haying on DNR lands

Jack L

The DM Register reported today that the Iowa DNR will be opening up state grass lands for grazing. Farmers to set up their own temp fences and water tanks.

:(

Iowa has very little cover left that isn't state owned. I worry that the birds will have anywhere to go this winter to make it through.

Between baling the road ditches and this Iowa is not a very friendly place for birds anymore.

I'm afraid that Iowa, like some other states has gone "ALL NATIVE ALL NATURAL"
Pheasants are limited to areas of private property. Where some habitat is intact.

The AG and Beef industry have so much power, any wildlife will take a back seat to them. In South Dakota near my place. They have burned, pastured and hayed the WPA every year for the last 3 or 4 years. I just quit buying a Pheasant Lic. there. Same thing, they refuse to force a feed lot to move off the lake. 100-200 head of cattle in a feed lot fenced right into the water. E-Coli is so high in the lake. They suggest no one be in the water. If the conservatives win big in November, look for only a increase in these kind of things. Money, Money, Money is the rule of thumb, no matter the cost.

Onpoint your correct, Some private property owners give a crap about wildlife water quality etc.
Still almost all pheasants in Iowa and everywhere ARE ON! and produced, Winter etc on PRIVATE property.

The DM Register reported today that the Iowa DNR will be opening up state grass lands for grazing. Farmers to set up their own temp fences and water tanks.

:(

Iowa has very little cover left that isn't state owned. I worry that the birds will have anywhere to go this winter to make it through.

Between baling the road ditches and this Iowa is not a very friendly place for birds anymore.

I am curious if the same thing happened in 1988. The two drougths are being compared often, drastic times call for drastic measures. Pheasants will probably winter in some cattlemans trees and feed at his silage pile.

Haymaker we posted at the same time. Yup without land owners Iowa would not have had Ringnecks in the first place place.
Very much the same case today. :thumbsup:

I am curious if the same thing happened in 1988. The two drougths are being compared often, drastic times call for drastic measures. Pheasants will probably winter in some cattlemans trees and feed at his silage pile.

Yea I think that the birds will find a place to winter other than grass stands and survive just fine. Allowing some grazing in times of drought is not the end of the world for birds.

The DM Register reported today that the Iowa DNR will be opening up state grass lands for grazing. Farmers to set up their own temp fences and water tanks.Iowa has very little cover left that isn't state owned. I worry that the birds will have anywhere to go this winter to make it through.

Jack L, Wisconsin is doing the same thing on state owned lands and, yes, it will make things more difficult for all wildlife in those areas. Though, as long as there's still areas of cattails, they'll make it through those winter storms. One saving grace is that Cattails don't make good feed. ( I hope) lol

I know there's a benefit to haying grasslands once is awhile, but the fact is, DNR owned lands are already maintained very well and don't need land owners to hay the public's wildlife grasslands. What's left as a "refuge" for wildlife (in some areas where they really don't have anywhere else to go) is now getting cut due to a lack of such grasslands on private lands. What is, is, for now.

It would be nice if land owners were able to manage lands for trouble-sum times. Anything "grassland" is removed, trouble comes, and the general public and everything else "creation" pays the price. I don't want anyone to take this in the wrong way, but to be honest, this pattern's getting old. In fact it's borderline disgusting and enough is enough.

Isn't their a way to manage private lands to help cushion the "blow" when it hits?

Last edited:
Isnt grazing a replacement sometimes for burning? If done right I think it might be beneficial.

But this is the IA DNR so I have my doubts.

Late season haying of any DNR land is not a death knell for pheasants, perhaps a tinkling tho and indicative of far greater issues afoot....it can indeed be troublesome for hunters pulling up to a favorite spot to hunt.

Farmers trump Fheasants.
Hopefully, haying or whatever out-of-normal resource use is done with legit intentions and commonsense.
Good to view any such with a cocked eye.

for most producers, farming will always trump bird habitat, unless they have their heart in it or have truly marginal land......it's a business, plain and simple.

Late season haying of any DNR land is not a death knell for pheasants, perhaps a tinkling tho and indicative of far greater issues afoot....it can indeed be troublesome for hunters pulling up to a favorite spot to hunt.

Farmers trump Fheasants.
Hopefully, haying or whatever out-of-normal resource use is done with legit intentions and commonsense.
Good to view any such with a cocked eye.

I think the salient point here, as you say " Farmers trump pheasant", on the pheasant forum, my question would be to who? Not me. What government agency is going to save your business, unless your a bank or investment firm, if the cruel fates result in bankruptcy. We hear that the USA is the land of endless opportunity, its also possible to fail. Consumers will pay a frightful bill, without extra ordinary farm measures, If we have a have a few pheasants and a few acres of grass in a few odd public places or not. I know a lot of you are conscience farmers and do a lot for wildlife, if your not..... let the fat shoe of capitalism boot you to the door. I had a stroke last spring, and I have been more visitor than commentator. The wisdom of being within the scope and capacity of the land seem prudent. A lesson we should have learned in school. Remarkable improvement in crop seed, and $250,000 tractors, won't cut it. Get away from a failed agriculture system is the solution. We now in "good " years import more food than we export. We better be using it here.

Yea I think that the birds will find a place to winter other than grass stands and survive just fine. Allowing some grazing in times of drought is not the end of the world for birds.

Without proper cover and lots of it. They will only be sharing the same limited habitat with many predators that are also looking for a place to winter. Small game become nothing but a lunch box dinner and most will be devoured over the winter. Then come spring, nesting habitat will be short and unprotective. Face facts, pheasants and other game will take a back seat to beef and other live stock producers needs.

Old and Point, couple good posts here.
With the "wildlife management" and "game management being obsolete"
It's Private landowners, THAT's IT!

Talking about the future of Ringnecks. Introduced invasive. :confused::confused:

Old and Point, couple good posts here.
With the "wildlife management" and "game management being obsolete"
It's Private landowners, THAT's IT!

Talking about the future of Ringnecks. Introduced invasive. :confused::confused:

I don't think soybeans and field corn area native to Iowa either.

The problem is there is so little private ground left un-tilled in Iowa that all the majority of pheasants have left to survive the winter on is public ground. Take that away and it's slim pickens for pheasants.

Back