Hawk predation

Most ranchers that I know shoot any cat outside the barnyard,and would be pissed if you don't do the same.

Shooting a Lion in any circumstances besides being a licensed hunter or unless actively depredating livestock or causing imminent danger to pets or humans is frowned-upon heavily in my neck of the woods,and will cost you your hunting rights and some cash.

Bobcats are also a regulated animal requiring a special tag to kill in SD. You cannot kill them on site. Again, I have been in the truck with many a rancher (i would wager many more times than you), and watched him shoot a feral housecat,or had him tell me to shoot him. I have also been told when asking permission,or just checking in, "Shoot any cat you see outside the farmyard."
Or "Shoot any cat you see,except the Orange Tabby."

Just because a cat is on a rancher's property does not mean it is his,or that he wants it there. They carry feline distemper,rabies etc. and can be a killing machine.(number one killer of songbirds).

I think you speak from emotion,not neccessarily knowing what you speak of.

Shooting a Lion in any circumstances besides being a licensed hunter or unless actively depredating livestock or causing imminent danger to pets or humans is frowned-upon heavily in my neck of the woods,and will cost you your hunting rights and some cash.

Bobcats are also a regulated animal requiring a special tag to kill in SD. You cannot kill them on site. Again, I have been in the truck with many a rancher (i would wager many more times than you), and watched him shoot a feral housecat,or had him tell me to shoot him. I have also been told when asking permission,or just checking in, "Shoot any cat you see outside the farmyard."
Or "Shoot any cat you see,except the Orange Tabby."

Just because a cat is on a rancher's property does not mean it is his,or that he wants it there. They carry feline distemper,rabies etc. and can be a killing machine.(number one killer of songbirds).

I think you speak from emotion,not neccessarily knowing what you speak of.

What I know is that I don't want any one shooting cats or anything that is mine and on my property just because they feel like it. I know nothing of the ranchers that you talk about. Not all ranchers think alike and that is a good thing. I am not sure how you are going to tell which one is my grandaughters favorite. Merry Christmas.

What I know is that I don't want any one shooting cats or anything that is mine and on my property just because they feel like it. I know nothing of the ranchers that you talk about. Not all ranchers think alike and that is a good thing. I am not sure how you are going to tell which one is my grandaughters favorite. Merry Christmas.

If your Grandaughter's favorite is clearing out the shelterbelt half- mile away and on land I occupy,she'll be needing to pick a new one.

As far as you not knowing any of the ranchers I speak of, Well, let's not get into the whole West River/East River thing.

If your Grandaughter's favorite is clearing out the shelterbelt half- mile away and on land I occupy,she'll be needing to pick a new one.

As far as you not knowing any of the ranchers I speak of, Well, let's not get into the whole West River/East River thing.

I speak only for myself and east river west river makes no difference to me. What I want to know is why my grandaughters favorite can't be in my shelter belt if I don't care. When did this get turned over to you?

I see in the Kansas post about a bird dog who was trespassing and got shot, that you believe that dogs running loose and out of control on someone elses property are pure of heart and only seeking their master. Dogs are predators, they kill livestock, if they are loose and out of the control of their handler, chances are pretty good that dog is up to no good, cold trailing or chasing deer, sheep, or chickens. I include my own dogs, I have had dogs who were absolute Saints, I have owned, known, and seen many, many others who were not! I guess you better add the beloved bird dog or farm collie to your hit list, right along side the cat, by your own definition. In my experience the cat might kill the rabbit, robin, quail, and pheasant, but leave it to the free running ill trained, out of sight dog, handled by a witless, and in denial, owner to kill livestock. I've seen it many times.That includes East River, West River, Sacremento River, or the South Bronx. Just as an aside, I have found shooting cats within a 1/4 mile of a farmstead have chilling effect on Hunter/Farmer relations.

I see in the Kansas post about a bird dog who was trespassing and got shot, that you believe that dogs running loose and out of control on someone elses property are pure of heart and only seeking their master. Dogs are predators, they kill livestock, if they are loose and out of the control of their handler, chances are pretty good that dog is up to no good, cold trailing or chasing deer, sheep, or chickens. I include my own dogs, I have had dogs who were absolute Saints, I have owned, known, and seen many, many others who were not! I guess you better add the beloved bird dog or farm collie to your hit list, right along side the cat, by your own definition. In my experience the cat might kill the rabbit, robin, quail, and pheasant, but leave it to the free running ill trained, out of sight dog, handled by a witless, and in denial, owner to kill livestock. I've seen it many times.That includes East River, West River, Sacremento River, or the South Bronx. Just as an aside, I have found shooting cats within a 1/4 mile of a farmstead have chilling effect on Hunter/Farmer relations.

Unfortunately, I have had to kill several dogs. The rez crawls with destructive strays.So it really sucks to say,you are correct, sir.

Okay, this PM I sat at the end of a shelterbelt with standing milo adjacent. CRP on the opposite side of the road. This spot is so loaded with roosters you can just sit in the ditch and wait for them to walk to the end of the treeline,then fly across to the CRP. Pass shooting roosters,basically. When I got to my spot there were dozens of pheasants picking gavel on the quarter mile of gravel I could see. About that time a hawk came over the hill and flushed them into the CRP,then headed-out. In less than five minutes there were more birds in the road than before. Now here comes an eagle who runs them back to the shelterbelt. I watched this happen until sunset,never got a shot. Counted what I think is seven different birds-of-prey came by and clean out the road. At one point there were three circling at same time. Didn't see any dive-bombers but it was impressive to watch. I have been thinking these birds were so wild because of road hunters, but never saw another human in the area. All it took was one of these birds to cruise over the area,and move dozens,if not a hundred birds. Counted at least 10 hawks and eagles in my 20 mile round trip today. Sometimes I see more of them than pheasants on my afternoon hunt.

as i was coming back home last week from n central ks i wanted to stop in and just look around at glen elder man was the cover thick, in one crp field i saw i bet 6 or 7 hawks flying , circling , i said to my self i bet there isnt a parrot around in that field but then on the other hand maybe the field was loaded with phez and thats why they were circliling the crp field what do you guys think ?? my gut instinct was i wouldnt hunt that field?

Hawks cover a lot of area. When flying they are hunting. May not be a bird left in that field, hawks will check it out, get a pheasant if possible or move on until they do. If the hawks are hanging around daily they are finding prey, if there are pheasants around Hawks hunt them and whatever is available. Those hawks will hunt everywhere, you might as well hunt that area as any.

Hunted a cut milo field with the two dogs this PM. Never flush a bird from it but the dogs are much easier to live at the house with after they put a few miles on chasing them around in it. I had a hawk bounce off the front of the truck as I was driving in. He flew off and went right back to circling the milo. I think that's the closest i've been to one that wasn't dead. Saw five hawks and a big snow white owl in a five mile loop from the house. Saw 7 roosters,all right behind a sign stating "You're Thinking about it aren't you"? Damn, Those ranchers are reading my mind now. Don't let the bibs and the tobacco drool fool ya,these guys are on it.

Just curious, how many of the folks on here that are laying the majority of the blame on predators have done any type of habitat improvement over the past year? How many fence rows have you renovated, or built downed tree structures or planted shrubby cover to create covey headquarters areas?

jaytee- you don't think predators-
flat as all getout here- no trees or anything for as far as you can see ( and that's quite aways)- except arround the farm sites- and the old abandoned farm sites- I let the grass/weeds stuff grow and didn't cut them on a bit of this 6 acreas- have branches and brush piled in two places- old farm buildings, equipment, and such all arround- stuff growing up right with them

I have cats that come hunting regularly, skunks that come arround, coyotes that will come thru the yard, pair of barn owls that have taken up residence, Red Tailed Hawks that sit in the trees ever watchfull- and a big hoot owl that is arround alot- owls and hawks swoop right low by and arround the house- drives the Britt's crazy

I've seen one of the hawks drop and catch a hen- tried to get a picture- not very clear

I've seen this pair of coyotes that regularly come around walk right by standing jackrabbits- and I've seen them stalking pheasants

you would have a hard time explaining to the wife and I that the predators don't take a toll

Not saying they dont take a toll. I'm saying that given the proper type of habitat/cover, the predator factor will be reduced to the point of not being the major factor. Redtailed hawks probably do more good for quail then bad by reducing the snake and rodent population, with snakes being one of the largest predators of quail nest out there. I aint buying the argument that predators are one of the main reasons for the quail/pheasant decline. That ranks right up there with the wild turkey being the culprit. Hogwash.:)

jaytee- you don't think predators-
flat as all getout here- no trees or anything for as far as you can see ( and that's quite aways)- except arround the farm sites- and the old abandoned farm sites- I let the grass/weeds stuff grow and didn't cut them on a bit of this 6 acreas- have branches and brush piled in two places- old farm buildings, equipment, and such all arround- stuff growing up right with them
Sounds like you have so many predators because you've got habitat they find attractive. The only trees around for the hawks to perch on, brush piles for the skunks/netrobbers to live in, and old buildings for the barn owls. Plus there's probably a population of mice around it, attracting the hawks/owls/skunks/coyotes/etc.

I have similar problems myself. I'm trying to get rid of some brush piles built for rabbits and old farm equipment no longer being used around the woodlot that the raccoons/skunks/opossums are using as homes. I'm also trying to reduce the grass thatch in my older field growth to reduce the mouse/vole population that keeps attracting the cats/fox/hawks/owls that walk a linear path through neighbors fields to canvass mine.

1GB- this country is bare of everything- drought and just not much in the way of cover anywhere- so I let this stuff grow- didn't mow with the John Deer rider so much- I was thinking some cover for quail and pheasants- maybe I made it worse- this snow- you ought to see the jackrabbits- they're everywhere

had a farm covey- had a small group of pheasants that more or less stayed around- haven't seen since last fall

Back