Happy New Year

Nick

Well, I had not been out so far this season. I usually hunt with my dad he had surgery before Christmas and hasn't been cleared yet. I don't have a dog right now (although I got a text from my breeder Friday morning that his female is pregnant and the due date is February 4th. I have first pick and will be getting a black female lab). I live in Stilwell, KS (south of KC). I pointed the truck west around 2:30 Friday afternoon. Arrived in Hays around 6:30. Had dinner and relaxed in the hotel with a few cold ones and the KU/TCU basketball game. Headed south and west bright and early Saturday morning. I was really impressed with the cover in the WIHA areas I hunted. Managed to only move 2 hens and two quail Saturday morning. The two quail got up at my feet but I had pheasant loads in. I assumed those two had just busted early, so I put quail loads in and proceeded. Nothing else so maybe that covey had been decimated. I left the two alone even though I saw where they went back in. Ended up in Ness City at lunch time and had a burger at the local tavern. Some of the locals said the bird numbers were low around there and suggested I had west a ways. I did and hunted some more really good WIHA cover Saturday afternoon. I managed to harvest 3 quail and two roosters that afternoon. I was pretty excited as I got those five birds with 5 shots. Only saw 3 other roosters all day. Celebrated New Year's Eve in a southwest Kansas motel with a few cold ones and the Clemson/Ohio State football game. Was asleep by 10pm. I hunted my way back east yesterday until around lunch time and then headed for home. No birds yesterday, but I did move 3 or 4 roosters and 10 to 12 hens. No shots on the roosters. It was great to get out. Very relaxing. I'm off today but then back to the grindstone tomorrow. My dad sees the doctor tomorrow, so I'm hoping he'll get the green light and we can get out a time or two before season ends. Happy New Year to all!

Thanks for posting the trip report Nick and glad you had a good time. I also hope your Dad heals up quickly.

I enjoyed your hearing about your travels good for you getting out on your own .
I often take a similar trip between Christmas and New Years . It always good to get out . I always have a a couple Britts Along .

I tried to attach a couple of pictures to my post but it kept telling me the file failed to upload. If anyone has any suggestions on getting the pics to work, I'd love to share them. Thanks.

You have to crop them down. Click on your picture, click edit, click crop. Crop the picture down to where its below the file size limit. I think its 1.95. I have to do it several times which is why some of my pictures dont look so good. But yes a hassle. You would think that with all the complaints about posting pictures that someone would make an effort to simplify the process.

Back